Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
I'm working on a packaging design project and I'm going to choose the right red color. My goal is to find a red that gives mysterious feel and at the same time symbolize quality, high-end and have a powerful feel. My closest bet is CMYK C:0 M:100 Y:100 K:15 I found this color in a book since I don't think I can trust my screens colorcalibration. Any advice of how to find the right color is there any a guide somewhere to find the right color with the right feel and moods?

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Blue Velvet > Thank Blue Velvet I'll try it out;-)

Snark > Great snark. Looks very interesting I'm really considering to buy The Designer's Complete Index.

primalman > Thanks the only problem i have with pantone products is the price;-)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I personally wouldn't recommend the The Designer's Index for accurate colour-specifying.

We have The Colour Index (one of the three volumes within the entire set) at work and only use it for brain-storming; the swatches are tiny and are almost always shown in combination with other colours which makes them difficult to isolate. There's no guarantee of colour accuracy and furthermore, they're completely unsuitable for specifying spot colours. The red you're looking for might be better specified as a special anyway depending on costs and other factors.

Pantone guides are (one of) the industry standards for good reason; you get what you pay for. If I was setting up as a freelancer, they'd be at the top of my shopping list along with a new Mac and monitor; they're that important.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Blue Velvet said:
I personally wouldn't recommend the The Designer's Index for accurate colour-specifying.

We have The Colour Index (one of the three volumes within the entire set) at work and only use it for brain-storming; the swatches are tiny and are almost always shown in combination with other colours which makes them difficult to isolate. There's no guarantee of colour accuracy and furthermore, they're completely unsuitable for specifying spot colours. The red you're looking for might be better specified as a special anyway depending on costs and other factors.

Pantone guides are (one of) the industry standards for good reason; you get what you pay for. If I was setting up as a freelancer, they'd be at the top of my shopping list along with a new Mac and monitor; they're that important.

Thank Blue Velvet. I got the book The complete colour harmony the I got the same problem. It's combinations with other colours. Since I have already taken the decision to use black and white text. And use the red as spot colour. With a good result. Any new colour combination wouldn't be helpful. I don't know how often I'm going to use the pantone. Maybe only this once to find the most suitable red for this project.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
jimbo110 said:
Blue Velvet > Thank Blue Velvet I'll try it out;-)

Snark > Great snark. Looks very interesting I'm really considering to buy The Designer's Complete Index.

primalman > Thanks the only problem i have with pantone products is the price;-)

eBay. I bought a matte formula guide, brand new, for $20 with shipping. Be diligent and you can find the deals! :)

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
primalman said:
eBay. I bought a matte formula guide, brand new, for $20 with shipping. Be diligent and you can find the deals! :)

Cool primalman I'll have look on eBay. Have never bought anything on eBay before;-) Maybe this will be a great reason to try it out.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
A little bit off the topic:

I study theatre lighting and have lit a few plays and understudied a couple of full time designers (who weren't very communicative).

I'm particularly interested in the the use of light and colour for abstract / experimental lighting.

I deal with this problem all the time, trying to find the perfect red, or the perfect straw gel for lighting effects.

Can anyone recommend a decent book for me?

Are the pantone books / The Designer's Complete Index good guides for me even though they deal with print media?

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Thank for joining RedTomato. I studying the pantone guides I think it's really confusing which guide is for what. Some is coated, uncoated etc. Even when i got some recommendation I'm pretty confused to find the right ones.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
jimbo110 said:
Thank for joining RedTomato. I studying the pantone guides I think it's really confusing which guide is for what. Some is coated, uncoated etc. Even when i got some recommendation I'm pretty confused to find the right ones.
The coated/uncoated refers to what kind of stock, or paper, you will be using. For instance, on my desk, I have four pantone guides:

formula guide solid coated: for coated/glossy paper
formula guide solid matte: for coated matte paper
formula guide solid uncoated: for uncoated paper
solid to process: to determine the closest cmyk values for pantone pms colors for printing on coated paper

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
RedTomato said:
Are the pantone books / The Designer's Complete Index good guides for me even though they deal with print media?

I doubt these would work well for you. We are talking about two different kinds of color creation: the additive type of light, versus the subtractive type for pigment.

Snark

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2003
tobefirst said:
The coated/uncoated refers to what kind of stock, or paper, you will be using. For instance, on my desk, I have four pantone guides:

formula guide solid coated: for coated/glossy paper
formula guide solid matte: for coated matte paper
formula guide solid uncoated: for uncoated paper
solid to process: to determine the closest cmyk values for pantone pms colors for printing on coated paper
The division of the Pantone books based on paper type point to an oft neglected point: Paper makes a difference.

Coated/uncoated, the color of a stock, factors like these can play a significant part in how your finished piece will look.

Snark

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
You can usually get by with just the coated and uncoated PMS swatches; in some cases, they're either merged into 1 swatch book or they're split into 2 individual ones.

And (to reiterate) coated means those are the colors you will get on coated stock (think glossy paper and glossy cardstocks) versus uncoated being traditional uncoated stock (think regular 20# bond or any weight bond cardstocks).

eBay is a good place to get swatch books cheap, BUT - BEWARE of people selling OLD SWATCH BOOKS. Over time, the inks on the swatch books will begin to fade and therefore the colors won't be 100% true matches anymore. Every swatch book will have the year it was printed stamped somewhere on the outside of the book - I wouldn't buy any swatch book older than 1 year old (and ideally, you want one brand new ie current year). But yes, retail PMS books are expensive. Recently our company had to buy a new set of PMS swatches because a customer wanted a PMS ink that wasn't listed in our older books (including the one in front of me with a date of 1995). The cost? We paid $80 for a new coated/uncoated swatch book set. Ouch. :eek:

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Thank everyone once again for very helpful advice. It's a new field for me and a little confusing.

The packing on which the red is going to be printed I have to choose between Pet/Foil/Pe. Since it's not paper does this mean I need a different pantone?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
The packing on which the red is going to be printed I have to choose between Pet/Foil/Pe. Since it's not paper does this mean I need a different pantone?

You could choose a PMS colour and say match this but we're not doing the job for you...

When in doubt, talk directly to the printing company, preferably to the press operator or finisher rather than the sales rep. That's a vital thing to do whenever you have a technical query on anything to do with printing, particularly if it involves special finishes, materials or bindings.

jimbo110

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Denmark
Thanks once again Blue Velvet. I'm starting to get a little on track now:) Think it may be a great solution. To getting it done right way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.