PDA

View Full Version : Intel Mac gaming performance

marcel-v
Oct 25, 2006, 12:50 PM
I have an 20 inch Intel iMac and was wondering if in terms of graphics and general performance does it make a difference if you play a game on one machine but on different operating systems? For example I am playing Age of Empires 3 in Windows and on the best graphic settings its quite chunky. If I was to get the Mac OSX version would it perform better? (please say yes! :( )

Abulia
Oct 25, 2006, 01:09 PM
I have an 20 inch Intel iMac and was wondering if in terms of graphics and general performance does it make a difference if you play a game on one machine but on different operating systems? For example I am playing Age of Empires 3 in Windows and on the best graphic settings its quite chunky. If I was to get the Mac OSX version would it perform better? (please say yes! :( )
Probably no. Aside from a few exceptions, most OS X games are ports of the original Windows code that was designed for Windows (Direct X) originally.

That's not to say these ports can't run as well as the native versions, just that they don't get the same amount of development time "to cook."

I think a reasonable expectation to set is "as good" performance for an OS X port but not "better."

princealfie
Oct 25, 2006, 01:14 PM
Actually the only difference would be if they had to convert from DirectX to OpenGL in the standard... then you could see a lil less quickness.

Apart from that, I think they would be the same otherwise.