PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4 Graphics Performance

ibookin'
Apr 15, 2003, 11:21 PM
The OS X GUI performance on my iMac G4 700 seems to have really slowed down in the past few weeks. I have noticed that the Genie effect is no longer smooth for larger windows and scrolling is slower in Safari. Things like window resize are also affected. This happened in 10.2.4 but continued when I updated to 10.2.5.

I have done fsck, repair permissions, daily/weekly/monthly scripts, and even created an entirely new account on the computer, but nothing fixed it.

Anyone have any idea why this would be? The system configuration has NOT changed.

Thanks.

janey
Apr 15, 2003, 11:23 PM
first of all josh GET A POWER MAC!
second of all get more ram.

ibookin'
Apr 15, 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by übergeek

1. Waiting till the 970 comes out. Then I can have both the G4 iMac and the PPC 970 PowerMac on my desk (and yes, I will fold when I get broadband), probably with a nice 20" Cinema as well :D

2. I have 512MB. The performance shouldn't be this bad. Also, I can only upgrade to 768 without voiding the warranty. :(

janey
Apr 15, 2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
1. Waiting till the 970 comes out. Then I can have both the G4 iMac and the PPC 970 PowerMac on my desk (and yes, I will fold when I get broadband), probably with a nice 20" Cinema as well :D

2. I have 512MB. The performance shouldn't be this bad. Also, I can only upgrade to 768 without voiding the warranty. :(
oooh can't wait to bash that power mac :D
get broadband seriously...i hate dialup and you have dialup :blech:
768 is better than 512.
reinstall jaguar too.

ibookin'
Apr 15, 2003, 11:33 PM
oooh can't wait to bash that power mac :D
get broadband seriously...i hate dialup and you have dialup :blech:
768 is better than 512.
reinstall jaguar too.

I'm getting broadband as soon as my dad calls Adelphia and arranges for the cable modem. He said he would do it a week ago... :(

Anyway, reinstalling Jag is my last resort. I have the 10.2.5 Combo update, but I'd prefer not having to reinstall everything.

janey
Apr 15, 2003, 11:34 PM
I'm getting broadband as soon as my dad calls Adelphia and arranges for the cable modem. He said he would do it a week ago... :(
more like 2 weeks...you promised *cries*

MrMacMan
Apr 15, 2003, 11:58 PM

Wow that was mean... :rolleyes:

I wanted a powermac but that aint the answer, he is asking about unexplained slowness.

You have done the right stuff but somethings you have to wait out.

janey
Apr 16, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Wow that was mean... :rolleyes:

I wanted a powermac but that aint the answer, he is asking about unexplained slowness.

You have done the right stuff but somethings you have to wait out.
dude i've been bashing his computers since the beginning of time...even when they were better than mine :p

ibookin'
Apr 16, 2003, 12:30 AM
dude i've been bashing his computers since the beginning of time...even when they were better than mine :p

Yeah, I had some great computers back in the day... My 486DX2/66 was the the shizzle back in '92. Then I had a PII 233, then an Athlon 700, then I switched. The rest is history.

But this isn't about the computers I've had! No one has any ideas?

bousozoku
Apr 16, 2003, 11:08 AM
It's possible that de-fragmenting the hard drive will help.

Have you added any software in the past few weeks? If you've got some customiser on the system, it could be interfering with the system. I've had several kernel panics since loading iLife.

Also, 512 MB is probably the minimum you should have for good performance using 10.2.x. I'm not sure why you can't have more than 768 MB, but I haven't tried to change RAM in a G4 iMac.

ibookin'
Apr 16, 2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
It's possible that de-fragmenting the hard drive will help.

Have you added any software in the past few weeks? If you've got some customiser on the system, it could be interfering with the system. I've had several kernel panics since loading iLife.

Also, 512 MB is probably the minimum you should have for good performance using 10.2.x. I'm not sure why you can't have more than 768 MB, but I haven't tried to change RAM in a G4 iMac.

No, no customizers and no new software.

The G4 iMac has 2 RAM slots, a 168-pin DIMM slot, which is internal and not accessible without voiding the warranty, and a 144-pin SODIMM slot which can be accessed by taking a plate off the bottom of the computer. I have a 256MB DIMM in the internal slot (standard config) and a 256MB SODIMM in the accessible slot.

janey
Apr 16, 2003, 02:19 PM
The G4 iMac has 2 RAM slots, a 168-pin DIMM slot, which is internal and not accessible without voiding the warranty...
it's not your iMac. Just do it you're gonna see a major improvement.

ibookin'
Apr 16, 2003, 05:30 PM
it's not your iMac. Just do it you're gonna see a major improvement.

It not being my computer is even more reason NOT to void the warranty.

janey
Apr 16, 2003, 06:31 PM
It not being my computer is even more reason NOT to void the warranty.
oh well...you have applecare on that iMac?
if you don't and if i still remember correctly-the iMac is old-it won't make a goddamed difference whether or not you upgrade the RAM.