PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook no longer boots up (chimes, but no screen)

madmaxmedia
Oct 25, 2006, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

I recently got a cheap used 12 1.33 PB, that has worked great for a couple of months.

Yesterday the PB shut off totally while in sleep mode. I couldn't power it back up at first, but was able to after I reset the PMU, and plugged the power cord in. The computer worked fine after that for the rest of the day.

This morning, I noticed the PB shut off again during sleep mode. But this time, I can no longer boot it up. The PB chimes, but then nothing comes onscreen, and there's no hard drive activity (so I'm pretty sure its not the screen.)

I tried resetting PRAM, PMU, taking out RAM stick, etc., to no avail. I can't boot into target mode, and cannot boot from optical disk either. I can hear the fan inside whirring, but nothing is going on. The computer is still 'on', because the caps lock key lights up and turns off when I hit it. I then hit the power button, and the computer shuts off.

This morning I took the PB apart and took out the HD. I noticed that the HD was not in the drive tray/bracket. So the underside is in contact with the motherboard. The hard drive did move a bit inside the PB (it's mainly stationary so I didn't worry about it), but I didn't know the hard drive was not insulated from the motherboard. I'm afraid that the contact may have shorted the mother board and fried it.

The hard drive still works, I can recover my data from it. But the PB won't boot up anymore.

Any possible tips? Do you think my mother board is fried, or could it be something else? I bought the PB for really cheap, so if worse comes to worse I can part out the working parts and get my money back. But that would leave me without a Mac, which really sucks...

Thanks

psychofreak
Oct 25, 2006, 03:05 PM
I had the same problem with my macbook, the only thing that I can tell you is that when the receipt came back from the repair, it only said 'case replacement ?? '

mac4evan
Oct 25, 2006, 03:10 PM
Hi all,

I recently got a cheap used 12 1.33 PB, that has worked great for a couple of months.

Yesterday the PB shut off totally while in sleep mode. I couldn't power it back up at first, but was able to after I reset the PMU, and plugged the power cord in. The computer worked fine after that for the rest of the day.

This morning, I noticed the PB shut off again during sleep mode. But this time, I can no longer boot it up. The PB chimes, but then nothing comes onscreen, and there's no hard drive activity (so I'm pretty sure its not the screen.)

I tried resetting PRAM, PMU, taking out RAM stick, etc., to no avail. I can't boot into target mode, and cannot boot from optical disk either. I can hear the fan inside whirring, but nothing is going on. The computer is still 'on', because the caps lock key lights up and turns off when I hit it. I then hit the power button, and the computer shuts off.

This morning I took the PB apart and took out the HD. I noticed that the HD was not in the drive tray/bracket. So the underside is in contact with the motherboard. The hard drive did move a bit inside the PB (it's mainly stationary so I didn't worry about it), but I didn't know the hard drive was not insulated from the motherboard. I'm afraid that the contact may have shorted the mother board and fried it.

The hard drive still works, I can recover my data from it. But the PB won't boot up anymore.

Any possible tips? Do you think my mother board is fried, or could it be something else? I bought the PB for really cheap, so if worse comes to worse I can part out the working parts and get my money back. But that would leave me without a Mac, which really sucks...

Thanks

I guess next time you won't buy something used...

Sorry

madmaxmedia
Oct 25, 2006, 11:16 PM
I had the same problem with my macbook, the only thing that I can tell you is that when the receipt came back from the repair, it only said 'case replacement ?? '

Hmmm, I wonder what was actually replaced. Anyone else have the same problem, and then have the computer repaired?

There's not too much else besides the logic board. The computer powers up via battery or AC, so it shouldn't be the power components.