PDA

View Full Version : Skype for G3 iBook...

nomadic82
Oct 26, 2006, 01:14 AM
Hey all, I've done a search both here and on Skype's website and can't seem to find a solution for this problem...

I have a friend with whom I want to have a skype chat, but she only has an old G3 iBook, and the new skype won't run on her machine...

Does anyone know if it is possible to dl old versions of Skype that may run on her computer? Or is there some other chat system we could use? Maybe iChat?

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks...

Macky-Mac
Oct 26, 2006, 10:45 AM
hmmm, I'm not on it at the moment so I cant check to verify which version of skype it has, but I use skype on my G3 500 iBook......and I'm sure that I updated it to "current" software just a month or two ago......which G3 ibook does your friend have and has she tried installing skype?

you could use ichat and you chould also use aim, i use both of those on my ibook also

MarkCollette
Nov 19, 2006, 03:18 PM
I just downloaded Skype today, and it runs ok on my iMac G3 400 at home. A little bit choppy though.

Edit: It's the newest version, and yes, my computer doesn't meet the minimum specs, but it halfway works.

Fleetwood Mac
Nov 19, 2006, 04:44 PM
From Skype website:

Mac computer with G4 800 Mhz processor or faster
Mac OS X v10.3.9 Panther or newer
512 MB RAM
40 MB free disk space on your hard drive
Microphone

Your guys must have an older version or something.

katie ta achoo
Nov 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'm still running 1.4 if you'd want me to email the app to you. You might want to check oldversion.com to see if they have skype on it.