PDA

View Full Version : adding music to ipod without computer?

ianhhh
Oct 26, 2006, 07:31 AM
yo..

my bro is travellin abroad .. is there anyway to add music to an ipod without a computer? mayb using the card reader? ive seen iload but that is big! i want to ideally send him a compactflash card of tunes and he can load them on..

help!:confused:

Chundles
Oct 26, 2006, 07:40 AM
yo..

my bro is travellin abroad .. is there anyway to add music to an ipod without a computer? mayb using the card reader? ive seen iload but that is big! i want to ideally send him a compactflash card of tunes and he can load them on..

help!:confused:

No, there's not unfortunately. There is a device that allows transfers from one iPod to another but it's flakey at best and expensive. You'd have to search iLounge for the review.

Practically though, the only way of getting music on an iPod is via a computer with iTunes. If he can find an internet café that either has iTunes on a computer or will allow him to install it then he could use that. Just ensure that he has set his iPod to "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists" - just a little Catch 22 because this can only be done via iTunes but he can do it when he plugs in the iPod - and that he erases the songs from the computer when he's done.

ianhhh
Oct 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
so when plugged in will it come up with an option to pair to th new computer? if so wil it wipe it or can u just add to the original ilbrary?

needthephone
Oct 27, 2006, 06:00 AM
I totally agree that there should be a way to do this. If someone sold a CD ripper I think it would do well.

Apple will always be computer ( ne Mac) centric as a way of selling more computers.

It's a bi like Ferrero selling Ferrero Rocher to sell more Nutella.

Break the ipod loose from the pc's chains - a bit at least.

killmoms
Oct 27, 2006, 06:03 AM
Break the ipod loose from the pc's chains - a bit at least.
Nonsense. It was never intended to be an independent device. It has and always will be an extension of the "digital hub" that is your computer. That's always been Apple's take, and with products like iTV reinforcing that philosophy, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

irregardless
Oct 28, 2006, 02:54 PM
Nonsense. It was never intended to be an independent device. It has and always will be an extension of the "digital hub" that is your computer. That's always been Apple's take, and with products like iTV reinforcing that philosophy, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Precisely. If you think back 5 years, to the original iPod marketing campaign, you'll recall that the device was touted as "iTunes to go. 1000 songs in your pocket."

The design and function philosophy of the iPod is that it is to be a mobile version of your iTunes library. It's that simple.

One of the first things I have to tell people who are new to iPod is to think of it only as a mirror of iTunes. Without iTunes, the iPod is almost useless.

Though technically, once all the media is copied to the iPod, there's not much need for iTunes anymore, but it is a critical first step.