Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontlosetouch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Hey, I need some help installing WINrar for OS X. I've gone to a site and downloaded the version for it. Now I have a folder titled rar with all of these in. I'm stuck to the ground. If anyone could tell me how to install it all correctly, it would be a massive help! Basically there's a rar file for football players pictures for Football Manager in there, and I really want them in there!

This is what's in there. If anyone could help with a step by step guide, It'd be great!

default.sfx
file_id.diz
license.txt
order.htm
rar
rar.txt
rarfiles.lst
readme.txt
technote.txt
unrar
whatsnew.txt

Alex

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
the file name .sfx means, I believe, a stuffit expander file, or at least a self-extracting archnive. Try downloading stuffit expander and trying to expand it with that. If it gets expanded and it has a .exe file in it, you have a windows only file on your hands, and you should get unrarx.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
WinRar is also available for OS X, and he has the OS X version. However, WinRar on the Mac is available for the command line only- there's no GUI interface. What he has are the actual program files that you have to call in the command line to use them.

For example, in order to rar up a file, use the "rar" file... to unrar, use the "unrar" one.

So you'd be looking at this syntax

RAR <command> [ -<switches> ] <archive> [ <@listfiles...> ] [ <files...> ] [ <path_to_extract\> ]

Since I'm sure you don't want to go through that, just install UnrarX, I use it and like it

hezahonker

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
WinRar is also available for OS X, and he has the OS X version. However, WinRar on the Mac is available for the command line only- there's no GUI interface. What he has are the actual program files that you have to call in the command line to use them.

For example, in order to rar up a file, use the "rar" file... to unrar, use the "unrar" one.

So you'd be looking at this syntax

RAR <command> [ -<switches> ] <archive> [ <@listfiles...> ] [ <files...> ] [ <path_to_extract\> ]

Since I'm sure you don't want to go through that, just install UnrarX, I use it and like it

Hi,

Thanks a ton for the confirmation on lack of GUI. I was confused by this as well after installing WinRar. Can you give me an example of zipping a file on the desktop. In other words, what would that look like practically in real life?

I totally get what to do but I am a bit puzzled how it would really look if typed out. Are we to include brakets, spaces etc... My husband is a professional photographer and I want to make this easy on him. He has a given folder on his desktop that he needs to compress and send to a client as a zip. If can get the string for it he can just copy it each time and drag his folder to the terminal for the file path. Thanks in advance.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
Hi,

Thanks a ton for the confirmation on lack of GUI. I was confused by this as well after installing WinRar. Can you give me an example of zipping a file on the desktop. In other words, what would that look like practically in real life?

I totally get what to do but I am a bit puzzled how it would really look if typed out. Are we to include brakets, spaces etc... My husband is a professional photographer and I want to make this easy on him. He has a given folder on his desktop that he needs to compress and send to a client as a zip. If can get the string for it he can just copy it each time and drag his folder to the terminal for the file path. Thanks in advance.

In Mac OS X, to create a zip file all you need to do is right click on a folder and click 'Compress "(folder name)"'. The file will appear right away. :)

hezahonker

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
In Mac OS X, to create a zip file all you need to do is right click on a folder and click 'Compress "(folder name)"'. The file will appear right away. :)

I do know that ...he runs 10.4 so the language is a bit different in that it say archive instead of my Leopard OS that says compress. What we are baffled by though is that when using the native mac os compression he has a 260MB file full of JPG's that doesn't get any smaller when compressed. :confused: We figured using a third party would be better.

karenflower

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2007
I do know that ...he runs 10.4 so the language is a bit different in that it say archive instead of my Leopard OS that says compress. What we are baffled by though is that when using the native mac os compression he has a 260MB file full of JPG's that doesn't get any smaller when compressed. :confused: We figured using a third party would be better.

Ah, I see. I don't know how good compression ratios can be with .zip, but 7zX claims to be 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.

There's a link to it here if you'd like to take a look: http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/

hezahonker

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Ah, I see. I don't know how good compression ratios can be with .zip, but 7zX claims to be 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.

There's a link to it here if you'd like to take a look: http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/products/7zx/

Hi karenflower,

Thanks for the link. :)

BTW, I am still curious, if anyone here has the time, to let me know what the simply string would be for the WinRar since I already own it. I would like to conduct some benchmarks on the various programs to see which one can give me the best compression. Thanks to all.;)

souliloquy

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Hi OP,

Just was cruising the internet on how to install winrar from the tar file downloaded from the site. I found out by luck.

So in order to install it properly, you have to transfer the "rar" file to the /bin folder.

This will let you just type "rar <commands, etc>" from any directory.

Hope this helps someone.

Hey, I need some help installing WINrar for OS X. I've gone to a site and downloaded the version for it. Now I have a folder titled rar with all of these in. I'm stuck to the ground. If anyone could tell me how to install it all correctly, it would be a massive help! Basically there's a rar file for football players pictures for Football Manager in there, and I really want them in there!

This is what's in there. If anyone could help with a step by step guide, It'd be great!

default.sfx
file_id.diz
license.txt
order.htm
rar
rar.txt
rarfiles.lst
readme.txt
technote.txt
unrar
whatsnew.txt

Alex

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
I think the question is where do you put the files to integrate them into the shell. Surely you don't expect me to keep them in the download folder?

Also command line rar is needed for CREATING rar files. Doesn't anyone do this anymore?

Code:
Use the following command to install unrar:

~$: sudo install -c -o $USER unrar /bin
$USER is a default environment variable in the bash shell which contains your username.

Sudo requires you to enter your user password. It’s the same password you use when you log in to Mac OS X. To install rar you can use the same command:

~$: sudo install -c -o $USER rar /bin
Do a test-run to see if the installation went properly. In your terminal now enter from any location you want:

~$: unrar

Thanks to this site http://www.robertvenema.nl/journal/archive/howto-command-line-unrar-on-mac-os-x/

macUser829

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
For non-Sudo users

Here is another option to use winRar, in case you do not have sudo power and don't know how to get the program into your /bin folder:

Place the "rar" folder, which you downloaded from the winRAR website, into a location which you will remember. Let's say it's your home folder: /Users/<yourUsername>. Then, rar files using

/Users/<yourUsername>/rar/rar <file name or list of files>

And unrar them using

/Users/<yourUsername>/rar/unrar <fileName.rar>

To see the options which rar allows, for rar'ing and unrar'ing files, type

/Users/<yourUsername>/rar/rar

or

/Users/<yourUsername>/rar/unrar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.