PDA

View Full Version : WoW: max resolution?

Demon Hunter
Oct 26, 2006, 06:08 PM
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. Does WoW have a cap on how high the resolution is? For example, will it run at 2560 x 1600 (30" ACD native resolution)?

I'm probably going to try it at my local Apple store (if they let me install) but if anyone knows that would be super. :)

combatcolin
Oct 26, 2006, 06:27 PM
Try http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

WOW has a very flexible graphics engine, Blizzard are heavily supported there flagship title so i would imagine that WOW increase in performance as new high end kit becomes commonplace.

So, in other words:

2007 4 * 30" LINKED MONITOR GAMING HEAVEN!

(You never know!)

Demon Hunter
Oct 28, 2006, 10:23 PM
If anyone was wondering, WoW will support any resolution you can throw at it...

Fearless Leader
Oct 28, 2006, 10:33 PM
I can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere. Does WoW have a cap on how high the resolution is? For example, will it run at 2560 x 1600 (30" ACD native resolution)?

I'm probably going to try it at my local Apple store (if they let me install) but if anyone knows that would be super. :)

WoW could handle the resolution but your computer wouldn't, simply put. Dell has an xps with 4 7950gtx's in it to run a 24" monitor at a decent speed.

gloss
Oct 28, 2006, 10:36 PM
I run it maxed at 1680x1050 on a GeForce6800GT and Athlon 64 3500+.

Demon Hunter
Oct 28, 2006, 11:48 PM
WoW could handle the resolution but your computer wouldn't, simply put. Dell has an xps with 4 7950gtx's in it to run a 24" monitor at a decent speed.

I beg to differ.

I was limited to 15 minutes, but the Mac Pro performed admirably at 2560 x 1600. I tested it using the two configurations in the Apple store:

Model A
2 x 3.0 GHz
4GB RAM
X1900 XT

Model B
2 x 2.66 GHz
2GB RAM
7300 GT

Model A was capable of 60+ fps with all the settings on high. Model B performed at 40+ fps with some tweaking (i.e. no Full-Screen Glow Effect). I tested both in the capital cities. To say you need Quad SLI and four 7950 GTXs is simply ludicrous.

Fearless Leader
Oct 28, 2006, 11:50 PM
whoops dead wrong here i guess.
dang this has been happening a lot lately

edit: The apple store had wow installed on the mac pro? I didn't see it their. Or did you bring it with you?

Demon Hunter
Oct 28, 2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I brought my MacBook and used a 6-pin FireWire cable to transfer it in Target Disk Mode. I installed it on Model A, but it took too long. Model B used my hard drive's copy and it seemed to work fine.

Fearless Leader
Oct 29, 2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I brought my MacBook and used a 6-pin FireWire cable to transfer it in Target Disk Mode. I installed it on Model A, but it took too long. Model B used my hard drive's copy and it seemed to work fine.

wow the let you do that or were you pretty secretive? They harped at me harshly for plugging in my ipod. I was also digging around the os looking at stuff. I guess they thought i was going to steal apps or something.

Mackilroy
Oct 29, 2006, 12:07 AM
whoops dead wrong here i guess.
dang this has been happening a lot lately

edit: The apple store had wow installed on the mac pro? I didn't see it their. Or did you bring it with you?

He installed it.

Demon Hunter
Oct 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
wow the let you do that or were you pretty secretive? They harped at me harshly for plugging in my ipod. I was also digging around the os looking at stuff. I guess they thought i was going to steal apps or something.

Yeah, it was no problem, although I knew the manager there. They should let you, after all it's for demonstration purposes!

AoWolf
Oct 29, 2006, 07:05 AM
From my experience (sneaking wow in on iPods) the game runs fine on the 30inch but its almost to big. The UI scales its self so if you are raiding and have a lot of info mods up such as a HUD,CTRA,KTM,DMG Meter,ext... it tends to get painful as you have to turn you head to look from one end to the other. Not very practical but stunning.

Fearless Leader
Oct 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
From my experience (sneaking wow in on iPods) the game runs fine on the 30inch but its almost to big. The UI scales its self so if you are raiding and have a lot of info mods up such as a HUD,CTRA,KTM,DMG Meter,ext... it tends to get painful as you have to turn you head to look from one end to the other. Not very practical but stunning.

you can change the ui scaling in setting, can't you? I'm getting a projector soonish and will be playing wow on the side of my house at like 150" :D

Demon Hunter
Oct 29, 2006, 06:34 PM
you can change the ui scaling in setting, can't you? I'm getting a projector soonish and will be playing wow on the side of my house at like 150" :D

... can I come over? :D

Chrispy
Oct 29, 2006, 06:54 PM
Haha you have to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpyuibq89Gw&NR

combatcolin
Oct 30, 2006, 06:10 AM
WOW addict my arse.

15" crt PAH!, i bought a 24" Dell to play WOW on!

;)

Demon Hunter
Oct 30, 2006, 09:50 AM
WOW addict my arse.

15" crt PAH!, i bought a 24" Dell to play WOW on!

;)

Yeah, he needs a better screen. :D He's only sixteen, give the kid a ****ing break. It's his leisure time. If he was thirty with two kids and a wife, then we start talking about addiction.

Mackilroy
Oct 30, 2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, he needs a better screen. :D He's only sixteen, give the kid a ****ing break. It's his leisure time. If he was thirty with two kids and a wife, then we start talking about addiction.

Was he playing like this over summer break or school? I mean, if it's summer break who cares? If it's school then I'd see more of a problem with it but as it is I don't think it matters a huge amount.

Chrispy
Oct 30, 2006, 03:29 PM
Was he playing like this over summer break or school? I mean, if it's summer break who cares? If it's school then I'd see more of a problem with it but as it is I don't think it matters a huge amount.

In the story it says he quit going to school and does not work. Seems pretty intense but... I have an idea... TAKE THE DAMN COMPUTER AWAY FROM HIM HAHA. Problem solved... geez be a parent already!

fall3n
Oct 30, 2006, 07:35 PM

erm then how come I can run it on my 24" iMac at full settings except 2x aa (or was it af) instead of 4x and it runs flawlessly?

Fearless Leader
Oct 30, 2006, 07:50 PM
erm then how come I can run it on my 24" iMac at full settings except 2x aa (or was it af) instead of 4x and it runs flawlessly?

i've been proven wrong already. Leave me alone already :o .

also that kid. I've seen much worse, thats nothing. Classmates have dropped out of school because of their grades and complaining about having too much homework. They moved to school less demanding. It's can dangerous game, my have grades reflected in the past.

ijimk
Oct 31, 2006, 02:24 PM
The game is only dangerous when the player lets it get out of hand. It can be a really fun game but as blizzard said in moderation.

QCassidy352
Oct 31, 2006, 03:43 PM
aye, it can be quite dangerous. Ended a 4+ year relationship of mine (the gf's addiction was worse than mine, FWIW). Though now we are back together and both not playing WoW. :)

Chrispy
Oct 31, 2006, 04:59 PM
I just cancelled my subscription yesterday as it was taking up too much of my time haha.

CJM
Nov 1, 2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah I play WoW maxxed out on my 20" iMac. 2x Anti-aliasing. The only thing I have slightly low is the Anistropic Filtering. As this has a big affect on the performance for a slight change in what you see.

Demon Hunter
Nov 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
Do you guys use the Full-Screen Glow Effect? It kills the fps but it looks so good...