Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The animations and stuff on positive-thinker.net:

• SUCKED HARD!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • average

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Really good

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Amazing

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Hi everybody.

haven't posted in ages. I just finished a new movie (Voyager) and just wanted to share it with you guys.

http://www.positive-thinker.net (click on the link on the right "Voyager")

I've also made a new showreel (on homepage) as well as a revamped website.

Rate it, check it out, tell me what you think.

cheers

mitch

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I wanted my aliens to not be the stereotypical big eyed, grey skinned type, so I turned to my cays for inspiration.
I thought aliens were stereotypically green? Also I think you mean cats?

Other then that the animation is awesome:) Very cute

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
Pretty incredible animation, impressed me no end!

Website seems good too. If you wanted me to give contructive criticism I'd say that perhaps it's a "little "crushed and busy, and I do only mean a little, as it's not bad at all! I like how the buttons glow when you hover over them. Maybe I'd made those buttons along each side a tiny bit bigger and bolder?...maybe alter the font ever so slightly to make the text stand out more?...

...But its a very good site, feel free to ignore all this obviously!

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
thanks!

Pretty incredible animation, impressed me no end!

Website seems good too. If you wanted me to give contructive criticism I'd say that perhaps it's a "little "crushed and busy, and I do only mean a little, as it's not bad at all! I like how the buttons glow when you hover over them. Maybe I'd made those buttons along each side a tiny bit bigger and bolder?...maybe alter the font ever so slightly to make the text stand out more?...

...But its a very good site, feel free to ignore all this obviously!

thanks for the feedback. I made a little dense cause I was worried about people seeing it on a low-res screen. I wanted it all to fit in the window withour having to scroll anywhere.

I might fix up the font too if I find the time. Cheers for the comments.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Very impressive. So much detail, and great characters. How long did it take to make Voyager?

The website could be improved, but it's not bad.

Oh, and have you considered Channel Frederator? You could get some valuable exposure by submitting your stuff. It's definitely up to par.

faustfire

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
California
Your animation skills are awesome! The only criticism I have is your reel is too long IMO. If it was me, I would cut it in half or so.:)

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Very impressive. So much detail, and great characters. How long did it take to make Voyager?

The website could be improved, but it's not bad.

Oh, and have you considered Channel Frederator? You could get some valuable exposure by submitting your stuff. It's definitely up to par.

Voyager was made in about 10-11 weeks in Maya.

I don't pretend to be a pro in HTML so don't feel bad bagging my site out. ;)

What is Channel Freferator? I am Australian so if it's something to do with tv i've not heard of it. A link or some info would be fab.

mitch

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Voyager was made in about 10-11 weeks in Maya.

I don't pretend to be a pro in HTML so don't feel bad bagging my site out. ;)

What is Channel Freferator? I am Australian so if it's something to do with tv i've not heard of it. A link or some info would be fab.

mitch
Channel Frederator is a video podcast made up of animations and cartoons. Search for it in the iTMS, it's actually pretty entertaining. Your stuff would fit right in with all the rest, and you get credited at the end of your short. It would be great exposure.

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Channel Frederator is a video podcast made up of animations and cartoons. Search for it in the iTMS, it's actually pretty entertaining. Your stuff would fit right in with all the rest, and you get credited at the end of your short. It would be great exposure.

Cool, I checked it out. I need to redo my new film (Voyager) with some non-copyright material to post it on their first. Hard to find a royalty free song that has the same feel as "Johnny B Goode" though.

thanks for the tipoff

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Very nice! Not only are your animation skills fantastic, but the other stuff I went trough on your site was pretty darn good too.

Hmmm, constructive criticism.... Maybe when you are looking at the drawings and comic book, there could be an arrow at the bottom to go to the next one instead of having to click on each button for each picture? Seems simpler and then the viewer wouldnt end up having to close a bunch of windows and whatnot. Hope that made sense...

Nice job! Makes me want to get my butt in gear and get my site up and running.

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Very nice! Not only are your animation skills fantastic, but the other stuff I went trough on your site was pretty darn good too.

Hmmm, constructive criticism.... Maybe when you are looking at the drawings and comic book, there could be an arrow at the bottom to go to the next one instead of having to click on each button for each picture? Seems simpler and then the viewer wouldnt end up having to close a bunch of windows and whatnot. Hope that made sense...

Nice job! Makes me want to get my butt in gear and get my site up and running.

Thanks, yeah I should do that sort of stuff. I hate HTML!

You should get your site up, its amazing the kind of responses you get once you put yourself out there.

goodluck, post some links when it's done.

mitch

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Very nice, I know that it takes a lot of work and practice to pull that off. Are the environments Maya/Paints Effects or something like Vue?

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Very nice, I know that it takes a lot of work and practice to pull that off. Are the environments Maya/Paints Effects or something like Vue?

Paint effects are so tacky! I see them as the Photoshop-Filters of Maya haha

All envrionments are modelled by hand. No paint fx used.

I went loopy making plants and rocks for 5 weeks.

mitch

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I am extremely impressed! Fantastic animations (I really like little things, like when the "thing" walks (in the beginning) and pushes the leaf away as it walks by. I also really, really like your website design and layout.

notnicole

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
I am extremely impressed! Fantastic animations (I really like little things, like when the "thing" walks (in the beginning) and pushes the leaf away as it walks by. I also really, really like your website design and layout.

Thanks!

Are you an animator too? Are there many animators here on Macrumors?

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Paint effects are so tacky! I see them as the Photoshop-Filters of Maya haha

Maybe out of the box Paint Effects are tacky but I've seen some pretty amusing work done with it. Check out Ethan Summers work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.