PDA

View Full Version : iPod and iTunes shared library

beatzfreak
Oct 28, 2006, 11:51 AM
iPod newb here. I have searched all the threads and not found any that pertain to my situation.

I have an iBook and a PM G5.

Long story, but I would like to put some playlists from the G5 onto my iPod via my iBook. I tried to drag a playlist from my shared library to the iPod, but no can do. Am I missing something or is this not possible? If not, is there another way?

Both computers are on my home network.

Also, I don't know if this is a factor, but these songs are not iTunes purchases, they are my own songs made on my G5.

Thanks in advance for any help.

psychofreak
Oct 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
Your best bet is probably to get all your songs on one machine, and make that machine sync with the iPod.

beatzfreak
Oct 28, 2006, 03:11 PM
Your best bet is probably to get all your songs on one machine, and make that machine sync with the iPod.

I do have all my songs on one machine; my G5

I want to put only some playlists on the ipod from my G5 using my ibook without putting those songs on the ibook.

mad jew
Oct 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
Well, you could have your iTunes on the iBook look to your PC for its music files but this is probably far more complicated than it's worth. Plus it means you have to keep the Power Mac running whenever you want to play music on the iBook. Why not just sync the iPod with the Power Mac? :o

beatzfreak
Oct 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Well, you could have your iTunes on the iBook look to your PC for its music files but this is probably far more complicated than it's worth. Plus it means you have to keep the Power Mac running whenever you want to play music on the iBook. Why not just sync the iPod with the Power Mac? :o

It's a long story, but I want to give access to two playlists on my G5 to someone to put on the ipod, but I don't want them to have access to my G5.
I wont be able to be here when they do it and I keep my G5 locked up in my studio, however the ibook is accessable. At the moment they have the ipod, so I can't put the playlists on it myself.

I guess, I'll have to put the playlists on the ibook via CD, which means I have to go thru and manually name all the tracks, artists and album. I'm surprised there's not an easier way.

mad jew
Nov 1, 2006, 05:22 AM
You shouldn't have to manually rename them because assuming you changed the labelling in iTunes, their metadata will retain this information when you put the music on the iPod. I'd either use the network or your iPod to transfer the tracks. Simply dragging the songs from the playlist to a folder in Finder by the same name should make a copy of the tracks, making it easy to transfer. :)

What you're asking for is made deliberately hard by Apple to keep the record companies happy and to prevent pirating.

beatzfreak
Nov 1, 2006, 12:50 PM
You shouldn't have to manually rename them because assuming you changed the labelling in iTunes, their metadata will retain this information when you put the music on the iPod. [/qoute]

Yes, I know this, but I don't have the iPod, so I have to put the playlist on the iBook so the person who has the iPod can get the playlists from the iBook. She's going to write lyrics to these tracks, so I rather give them to her on an iPod, because it's harder to get songs off an iPod, from my understanding.

[quote]I'd either use the network or your iPod to transfer the tracks. Simply dragging the songs from the playlist to a folder in Finder by the same name should make a copy of the tracks, making it easy to transfer. :)

I decided I didn't want to put the songs on the iBook, other people have access to them. These are track that I have written and haven't copyrighted yet. So I ordered a shuffle to put them on.

What you're asking for is made deliberately hard by Apple to keep the record companies happy and to prevent pirating.

LOL. The record companies are controlling the way I share my own music that I made and I'm not even signed to one (yet).

Thanks for all your help.

mad jew
Nov 1, 2006, 06:22 PM
LOL. The record companies are controlling the way I share my own music that I made and I'm not even signed to one (yet).

Thanks for all your help.

Haha, that's classic! :D

Good luck with all your music stuff. :)