PDA

View Full Version : Macs on the Rebound

MacBytes
Oct 28, 2006, 07:34 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Macs on the Rebound (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061028203425)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Dagless
Oct 29, 2006, 08:30 AM
Macs never left my Secondary School. They had about 4-5 major computer suites littered with iMacs and iBooks, I don't ever recall seeing a PC there barring of course some teachers personal laptops (IBM usually).
My college was also full of Macs until recently, media was shunted to a different campus and during the transition PC's started to replace macs. My time at City College Manchester and Manchester Met uni were filled with PowerBooks and PowerMacs. My current university (Salford) seems to have a split of Mac/PC.

My area must really like Macs :D

psychofreak
Oct 29, 2006, 08:46 AM
My school used to have macs, then they switched to dells.:mad: ..fortunately our photography teacher is a mac fanboy, and we have powermacs in the art department. As soon as photoshop runs faster on intel, we'll upgrade. This will either be at CS3, or possibly with octo-core mac pros.

cecildk9999
Oct 29, 2006, 10:37 AM
Although my school's 'official' laptop is an IBM ThinkPad (they require students to have laptops here, which I actually think is an overstated need), I've seen a lot of MacBooks on campus. It's nice to see some more macs around, since I feel like I'm in less of a minority now, and more people seem to understand that it's an ok thing to have a mac. I can still remember the days with my old PB how I'd have to explain that my mac could do everything a PC could, and the skeptical looks I'd get back regardless. There are some strong rumors that need to be dispelled still, but it looks like some good progress has been made this year. :D

Mainyehc
Oct 29, 2006, 02:08 PM
Well, my school in Lisbon, Portugal, being a Fine Arts / Design faculty, has a lot of Macs... On the graphics design department we have some old B&W G4 PMs and some original Dual G5s with Sony and LaCie CRT displays, we had a few eMacs (don't know where they are, there's only one left and it's at the concierge), we had some beige G3 PMs (though I don't know what they did with them - doorstops, maybe?), and now there's a Rev. A 17'' iMac CoreDuo (and a few others in some teachers' offices). We also have a few 15'' PowerBooks and 14'' iBooks for our design classes. There's also a Yosemite G3 PM with a matching 19'' (I think) CRT Studio Display on the photography department, and a few more Dual G5s on the AV department. AFAIK, there are only some PCs on the industrial design department, a lot of IBM Aptivas on the infography department and on the internet access/copy center room, and some white-brand PCs on that room also.

I'd say that absolutely speaking, there are a few more PCs than Macs, but the only computers where real work is done are those on the AV, graphics and industrial design departments... And there are definitely more computers in our department and in AV together than in the industrial design department alone, so I'd say the proportion stands at 60-40 in favor of the Macs.

As for us, the students... There's an increasingly big number of them buying Macs (some of them under my advice :cool: ), and I'm figuring it will increase even more with the advent of the C2D in MacBooks and the release of Leopard, mark my words...

Now, unfortunately, here in my faculty in Granada, Spain, (I'm doing an Erasmus interchange) there is a grand total of ONE eMac (on the photography department) vs. err... a lot of PCs, really... I don't feel much at home. :(

Anyway, I'm doing the same thing here as in Lisbon, and there are already two colleagues of mine thinking of buying MacBooks, so... things are starting to look rosy around here anyway. :D

ghall
Oct 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
My school used to be all macs (before I started going there), but since then it has switched almost completly to PCs. Myself, and a couple teachers have Mac laptops, but other than that....

steve_hill4
Oct 29, 2006, 02:24 PM
Since more and more people I speak to on a daily basis are only looking to do web browsing and email, along with word-processing and storing/printing of pictures, Macs are great options for them now. Once people get around to understanding the big differences, they realise the extra ports and occasionally specifications of the PC they were looking at aren't really a problem for them.

In saying that, including a decent, free word processor, or even just go back to adding Appleworks for now, would switch many more. It may seem a small point, but a lot are put off by something as minor as that. Also, add 15" and 17" MacBooks, (no real increase in specs), and a small MBP and more will buy their portables. So many I speak to are bothered by the small 13" screen, but also don't want to pay 1349 for a MBP. If they put the same guts in an identical res 15" model, for a similar/identical price, they would fly off the shelves this Christmas, and indeed every day.

Eraserhead
Oct 29, 2006, 02:29 PM
In saying that, including a decent, free word processor, or even just go back to adding Appleworks for now, would switch many more. It may seem a small point, but a lot are put off by something as minor as that. Also, add 15" and 17" MacBooks, (no real increase in specs), and a small MBP and more will buy their portables. So many I speak to are bothered by the small 13" screen, but also don't want to pay 1349 for a MBP. If they put the same guts in an identical res 15" model, for a similar/identical price, they would fly off the shelves this Christmas, and indeed every day.

If they had a basic spreadsheet iWork would be perfect, I personally find Pages good for everyday use but when writing a longer piece of work, like the essay we have to write at Christmas, (I do Maths so it doesn't happen much ;) ) I will probably use NeoOffice, Word or LaTeX...

A 15" Laptop with similar specs to the MB (possibly slightly lower) would sell well I think.

Shadow
Oct 29, 2006, 02:31 PM
Bah! I wish my school used Macs! Im sick of the crappy Durons and XP crashing (literally, sometimes) every 5 mins. It takes forever to log on, and when you do get on all they do is crash! I once lost half my History coursework cos of XP! :mad: Wow, I feel like Ellen Feiss! Beep beep beep! :D

mattniles007
Oct 29, 2006, 06:40 PM
I would love for my school to have macs. Alas Dells are the norm, the XP crashes so often.:mad: