Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2003
France
Hi,
I would like to know if it is better to play long files (for ex 20 minutes) on a flash based ipod or a hd based one. Is there any difference? Is there an impact on the battery? Is one better suited than the other?
In classical music, you often have a cd divided into 3 or 4 20minutes-sections.
Thanks for the help.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'd go for a "big" iPod in that case. The details matter a little more here than they would with most thump-thump pop music, and you may want to use lossless or at least a higher compression bitrate that would eat faster into the limited storage of a flash unit.

The HD iPod models use rather large caches to cut down on disk access, and the cache actually works better to save power if you are listening to fewer long tracks instead of skipping all around.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Weren't there issues with HDs interfering with the sound quality of HD-based iPods? Could be just FUD from anti-iPodders. I prefer flash-based just because an 8GB nano holds more classical music (ripped at 320kbps AAC) than one can listen to in a sitting.

But if you're really into classical music, then a regular HD iPod playing lossless would be ideal. I see this set-up more for an in-home listening session.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I would say flash, because listening to long files requires the HDD to spin for longer to load that long file into the cache. On a flash player it's all just there ready to go so you'd see very little battery-life variance.

That being said I'm unsure as to the difference in sound quality between the regular iPod and the flash-based iPods, I would hope they'd be the same but one can never be sure.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I listen to a lot of Classical Music, I have a 1Gb iPod Nano and it works gloriously for me. You would obviously want to get a larger one if you want all of your collection on the iPod all the time. But I find for my needs 1Gb works great.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I'd go for the biggest iPod as it has the most RAM (64MB). Not only will you have enough space to store everything, you also have a big enough RAM so battery life won't be affected that much, especially if you store in Lossless.
But you probably won't get the full bat life with Lossless AND classical music. I'd say around 70% would be a good estimate.

If you are heavy into classical music I'd worry more about some decent headphones than about what iPod to buy though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.