Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Well, there is a truly awesome deal for an iBook G4. 14 inch. 1.42 gHz. I only actually do Safari, iPhoto and iMovie. and itunes.

Will this iBook be perfect or not enough. It doesn't really matter to me for the whole 64 bit and being able to run windows.

Cheers.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Well, there is a truly awesome deal for an iBook G4. 14 inch. 1.42 gHz. I only actually do Safari, iPhoto and iMovie. and itunes.

Will this iBook be perfect or not enough. It doesn't really matter to me for the whole 64 bit and being able to run windows.

Absolutely. I do all those things and more on my 1.42 G4 Mac mini.

Kamikaze

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Denver, Colorado
It should be a perfect fit. I debated on a new in box 14" for $889 off of eBay, but settled for a used 12" instead 1.2 ghz, 1.25 gb ram. It has be come the machine of choice for the family. even over the 20" iMac and my Macbook.
Enjoy it!:D

Sawtoothdude

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
that should be perfect for what you are doing. I am able to do most of that on my G3 so you performance on that will be awesome.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I don't want people to tell me that I am getting ripped off. Because I would rather buy from a certified online store than a place like Mr or ebay.

You do realize that they're selling an open box machine for almost the same price as a new one originally cost, right? You can get the machine as a refurb directly from Apple for $999.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
You do realize that they're selling an open box machine for almost the same price as a new one originally cost, right? You can get the machine as a refurb directly from Apple for $999.

What does open box mean anyway?
14 inch @ 1.42 gHz?

Okay.

Cheers, and thank you wildcowboy.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Open box means that the box has been opened...usually an in-store display model or a customer return.

Screenshot of Apple's refurb listing:

Picture 2.png

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Info, I am in canada, so consider prices canadian. So I require a SuperDrive(iDVD) and that would be 1449 for a MacBook plus a case.

Cheers.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Okay. So this is the machine i am wanting.

http://www.powermax.com/product/Open_Box_iBook_G4_1.42/c-nib-m9848-ob.html

So this will be enough for me?

I don't want people to tell me that I am getting ripped off. Because I would rather buy from a certified online store than a place like Mr or ebay.

Cheers.

WildCowboy is right. You can get better deals on a newly refurbished Mac. For example - for ~$200 more you can get:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote
Learn More
• Save 41% off the original price
Original price: $2,499.00
Your price: $1,499.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Or for a similar computer:

Refurbished iBook 14-inch 1.42GHz SuperDrive
512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor
Learn More
• Save 24% off the original price
Original price: $1,299.00
Your price: $999.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Either of these deals would be better than what you are looking at. As for the usability, the G4 would work well for you.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
WildCowboy is right. You can get better deals on a newly refurbished Mac. For example - for ~$200 more you can get:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote
Learn More
• Save 41% off the original price
Original price: $2,499.00
Your price: $1,499.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Or for a similar computer:

Refurbished iBook 14-inch 1.42GHz SuperDrive
512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
60GB Ultra ATA hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Sensor
Learn More
• Save 24% off the original price
Original price: $1,299.00
Your price: $999.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Either of these deals would be better than what you are looking at. As for the usability, the G4 would work well for you.
There isn't any iBook G4s on the Canadian store.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
And I specified that I didn't want ohh this isnt a good deal posts.

True, but we're trying to help you out. Your rationale seemed to be that you wanted to buy from a trusted source, which is perfectly understandable. Which is why the Apple refurb store was the best of both worlds...the most trusted Apple seller of all and a heck of a lot cheaper than what you were looking at.

But if it isn't available in Canada, that's a problem.

The iBook would be a good machine for you if it was available at a good price. But at the prices you're looking at, what's wrong with a MacBook? They start at CD$1079 in the Apple refurb store. If that PowerMax iBook is priced in US Dollars, it's CD$1375.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
as long as you searched around, and be sure u got a good deal, then just go ahead.
back to your question, G4 is absolutely good enough.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
True, but we're trying to help you out. Your rationale seemed to be that you wanted to buy from a trusted source, which is perfectly understandable. Which is why the Apple refurb store was the best of both worlds...the most trusted Apple seller of all and a heck of a lot cheaper than what you were looking at.

But if it isn't available in Canada, that's a problem.

The iBook would be a good machine for you if it was available at a good price. But at the prices you're looking at, what's wrong with a MacBook? They start at CD$1079 in the Apple refurb store. If that PowerMax iBook is priced in US Dollars, it's CD$1375.

Thank you WildCowboy. You are very helpful when It comes to things like these. Why no macbook? Problems. Go to appledefects.com and look at the defects page for MacBooks. I have had enough with my iMac, and don't want to have that plus a hole from the heat from a macbook.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thank you WildCowboy. You are very helpful when It comes to things like these. Why no macbook? Problems. Go to appledefects.com and look at the defects page for MacBooks. I have had enough with my iMac, and don't want to have that plus a hole from the heat from a macbook.

Fair enough...iBooks are solid machines. I wish you could find a trusted seller who could get one to Canada for a better price...not that I have any suggestions. I just hate to see anyone spend more than they should, but you have to do what you have to do.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Fair enough...iBooks are solid machines. I wish you could find a trusted seller who could get one to Canada for a better price...not that I have any suggestions. I just hate to see anyone spend more than they should, but you have to do what you have to do.

You are a really nice person, WildCowboy. MacMall has a slightly better price.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
What I am saying is that I would pay the price for a G4 iBook so I don't have all those crappy problems with MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.