PDA

View Full Version : Why did Apple Make The 8GBNano and the 30GB Video cost the same price?!?!?

esabourin
Oct 29, 2006, 10:17 PM
why did apple put a 300$CDN pricetag on the 30GB Video and the 8GB Nano,,who on earth would buy a nano when for the same price u can get roughly 3-4 times more storage and video capabilities, and the option of having a white ipod??? why did apple do this???

iMeowbot
Oct 29, 2006, 10:20 PM
The compact case and solid state storage will be worth more to some people than the additional capacity. It's nice to have choices, isn't it?

vi2867
Oct 29, 2006, 10:27 PM
It obvious...

The 30 GB iPod will be eliminated once the touch screen iPod is launched...

Hopefully, before the holidays, if not, at Mac World...

fivetoadsloth
Oct 29, 2006, 10:27 PM
and since the nanos are flashed base they are much more friendly to joggers.

mattniles007
Oct 29, 2006, 10:29 PM
Yes the Nan is great for working out. I also have the 30g for trips.

EricNau
Oct 29, 2006, 10:30 PM
Why did Apple Make The 8GBNano and the 30GB Video cost the same price?!?!?
Why not?

Old Smuggler
Oct 29, 2006, 10:30 PM

And motorcycle riders
the original ipod's hard drive does not do well on cold nights it nearly killed my 4g

fivetoadsloth
Oct 29, 2006, 10:34 PM
Why not?

the spinning hard drive gets damaged from jogging with it while the nanos dont have anything spinning and work great. i dont have a really technical answer if thats what you want, sorry.

tech4all
Oct 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
It obvious...

The 30 GB iPod will be eliminated once the touch screen iPod is launched...

Hopefully, before the holidays, if not, at Mac World...

Isn't the touch screen iPod video (rumored) to be a line of it's own? That way there will be:

- iPod Shuffle
- iPod nano
- iPod regular
- iPod touch screen (true video iPod)

I'm curious about the release date. I've been told myself that before the holidays....but I guess we'll have to wait. :)

OldSkoolNJ
Oct 29, 2006, 10:41 PM
why did apple put a 300$CDN pricetag on the 30GB Video and the 8GB Nano,,who on earth would buy a nano when for the same price u can get roughly 3-4 times more storage and video capabilities, and the option of having a white ipod??? why did apple do this???

For the same reason you may find a black macbook the same price a a 20 in iMac. The imac has so much more. You paying for the small size and different features. One may serve someones purprose andf the other may serve someone elses. Smaller will almost always cost a premium.

Kevin

QCassidy352
Oct 29, 2006, 10:44 PM
Isn't the touch screen iPod video (rumored) to be a line of it's own? That way there will be:

- iPod Shuffle
- iPod nano
- iPod regular
- iPod touch screen (true video iPod)

no, I think the thought is that it would replace the "iPod regular."

As to the original question, I would prefer the 8 GB nano to the 30 GB video. I don't have more than 8 GB of music, would never watch videos on an iPod, and really prefer the size and flash memory of the nano.

ozontheroad
Oct 29, 2006, 11:23 PM
What about this:

Black MacBook -$ 2199-
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
120GB Serial ATA drive
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

MacBook Pro -$ 2174-
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Accessory Kit

EricNau
Oct 30, 2006, 01:02 AM
the spinning hard drive gets damaged from jogging with it while the nanos dont have anything spinning and work great. i dont have a really technical answer if thats what you want, sorry.
Heh. Sorry, my post was directed at the original comment - I should have made that more clear. :)

"Why not" was my attempt at a smart-alec response to the original poster. :D :o

BornAgainMac
Oct 30, 2006, 04:41 AM
What about this:

Black MacBook -$ 2199-
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
120GB Serial ATA drive

MacBook Pro -$ 2174-
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Accessory Kit

Yea, but that assumes the person wants to max out the Macbook. The color also adds a premium. Usually the way Apple works is that they hook you to the more expensive model. For example if you max out the mini you will think it's better to get the iMac. If you max out the iMac you will want the Mac Pro because it is priced better. Etc...

For the Nano vs Video comparision, it couldn't decided so I bought the 4 GB Nano for running and the 60 GB Video for everything else (when it was at 60).

QCassidy352
Oct 30, 2006, 06:09 AM
What about this:

Black MacBook -$ 2199-
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
120GB Serial ATA drive

MacBook Pro -$ 2174-
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Accessory Kit

Yeah, that one's just bad. No real reason for it, unlike the iPods. Well, actually, there is a reason - the MBPs were just updated and the MBs are 5 months old. When the MBs get a bump, hopefully soon, this discrepancy will disappear.

emotion
Oct 30, 2006, 06:16 AM
What about this:

Black MacBook -$ 2199-
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
120GB Serial ATA drive

Thread hijack a bit but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that that particular spec could become the base spec (1GB though) for the black model after the C2D upgrade (so will cost a lot less).

Particularly if they insist on having that rediculous premium on the colour.

MacinJosh
Oct 30, 2006, 06:55 AM

True. But I never have had issues or skips with my 30GB Video iPod and I jog almost every day.

Joshua.

mkrishnan
Oct 30, 2006, 07:00 AM
And motorcycle riders

And donkeys. :eek: ;) :D

I dunno... the big nano seems well priced to me. I wish the colors were available at 8GB, but I'm sure they will be in six months or less, with a new largest Nano.

joe50000
Oct 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
Because the Zune is about to come out, that's why.

fivetoadsloth
Oct 30, 2006, 07:37 AM
Heh. Sorry, my post was directed at the original comment - I should have made that more clear. :)

"Why not" was my attempt at a smart-alec response to the original poster. :D :o
ah, sorry, my bad.

Warbrain
Oct 30, 2006, 07:44 AM
no, I think the thought is that it would replace the "iPod regular."

I doubt it. Apple will, at first, release the full-screen iPod as it's own line like they did with the iPod photo, but I bet that they would keep the iPod the way it is while selling the full-screen iPod since the full-screen iPod is not for everyone.

emotion
Oct 30, 2006, 07:49 AM
Because the Zune is about to come out, that's why.

I'm not sure anyone cares enough about this for Apple to get worried. I do hope Apple respond though, they need a little geeing up occasionally with their release schedules imo.

Ish
Oct 31, 2006, 04:05 PM
I swopped my 30 GB ipod for a nano, and am hoping to get an 8 GB nano soon. Why? Because I carry it around in my jeans pocket and I can't bend over properly with a full sized ipod in there!

rhsgolfer33
Oct 31, 2006, 05:24 PM

Id be willing to bet that the 8gb chip in the Nano costs as much or more than the 30gb hard drive in the iPod, prolly why the prices are the same.

monke
Oct 31, 2006, 05:49 PM
Why did Apple make the 8gb Nano and the 30gb Video cost the same price?

Because either:
1. They wanted to piss people off and make their decisions even more complicated
2. Place bets on how long it would take for a Mac fan site to notice this, post it, and complain about it. Then point and laugh at them.

Otherwise it might have something to do with memory and marketing. :rolleyes:

mikes63737
Oct 31, 2006, 06:47 PM
What about this:

Black MacBook -$ 2199-
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo
120GB Serial ATA drive

MacBook Pro -$ 2174-
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Accessory Kit

That's almost as bad as when the 17" MacBook Pro with same the same specs as the 15" MacBook Pro was $100 less.