PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Games (What have you tried)

GIZBUG
Oct 30, 2006, 12:42 AM
Curious as to what newer games you've tried to run on a mac pro, and your results.

Chone
Oct 30, 2006, 01:53 PM
A base Mac Pro, overclocking the 7300GT heavily its slightly faster than MacBook Pro with an overclocked X1600.

However if you take advantage of quad channel and use a better videocard Mac Pro should fly.

MacRumorUser
Oct 30, 2006, 02:06 PM
I tried my mac pro on a couple of games so far

Vampire Masquerade : Bloodlines

On my 2.66 mac pro - 3gb ram with 7300GT the game runs amazingly (above 60fps at all times) at 1280x1024 (havent worked out how to up the resolution as this is the max it supports on the menu) - eveything is on max.

I previously played this on a P4 3ghz, 2gb Ram, Ati X800XT PE, at the same resolution there was a noticeable frame rate jitters on the outside locations.

I am surprised that the 7300GT was able to deliver a better looking ride than the X800XT i had in my gaming rig, but that may be the processors compensationg maybe?

I've also installed The Sims 2 & Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (+ expansion packs) and both play and look better than my previously mentioned specced pc.

Dark Messiah (demo) also running at 1680x1050 is gorgeous.

Its actually iritating me that these games run this well as I thought the 7300Gt would really suck and drag down peformance, and so before i even installed windows I ordered a X1900XT upgrade kit which should be here this week sometime. now I wish i had waited.

If I knew that these games would work as well as they do with the 7300GT i would have held off getting the X1900 XT and see what cards are introduced in the new year....

Oh well.