Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjbooij

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
I have ordered a core duo 2 MPB. Do I need a 64 bit version of windows if I would like to run windows with bootcamp? Will a 32 bit version also work?

drval

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2006
While it is largely true that 32-bit programs will run fine in the 64-bit version of Windows, this is not univerally true. Some times the drivers for particular pieces of hardware that interface to a particular program, have not yet been implemented. My recommendation would be to NOT use the 64-bit version of Windows at this time unless you specifically know that all of your Windows applications are actually supported in the 64-bit version. The software developer shold be able to give you that information.

sulhaq

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Also many drivers from the Mac Windows drivers CD that Bootcamp burns for you won't work on the 64 bit version.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
The 64 bit version of Windows would run, but in reality the 32 bit version of Windows is much more reliable, and would also run just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.