Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
hello,

I am looking for a desk for my awaitng 17" Powerbook that I will hook up to Blue Creature speakers, Blue Micrsoft Optical mouse, and 120gb firewire hardrive. As you can see I dont have much stuff that will be on the desk, but I would like to have a fair amount of space so that I can move the PB out of the way and do my homework.

I am looking for something stylish but not to expensive(around $50 would be nice) and sort of simple, although I would like it to be fullfilled in a sense so it doesnt look all scrawny. Unfortunately I dont like near an IKEA...it would be my first choice for two reasos; I am swedish and I love their designs(they also go well with apples). But, I guess I will have to settle with some generic brands.

Any help/advice of some models that you know of woul be to great help! Please include a picture or link. Thanks!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
These looks cool, but you have to have some imignation.

2 modern, even cheap sawhorses (The colapsable mettle ones can be repainted and look slick)
1 sheet of very thick lexan- look for ones with cosmetic defects
Alumnum i bars, or wood 2x2s for horazantal support
4 black hex bolts (they look cool) and nuts
drill holes through the lexan, and support beams, 2 per horse, bolt together. Instant modern desk.

It looks cool even if you do not remove the protective plastic with logos and warnings.

#2, find an old door- this is somethng that you can liberate from an abondond building or lot (or if you can find a construction recycling center)
Place on saw horses, or build legs out of what ever.

How cool, especialy if you find a fire door, add some hazard lables, very techi, very industrial, and I think very cool.

Also in this economy, don’t discount office furniture stores. Some may have repossessed furniture, damaged furniture, or just too much stock. Lastly, I can’t stress it, commercial recycling centers- the kind where you can find kitchen sinks and doors- might have some finds. Look for companies that specialize in used office furniture, often you may find what you are looking for there, or you may components to build your own desk.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Thanks!..I am thinking about some nice chrome sawhorses...hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.