PDA

View Full Version : need help with reason3

chuckles25
Oct 30, 2006, 11:21 PM
Im trying to import a live guitar from garageband to reason 3. and im almost sure u cant record live instruments on reason. how can i import an aif file into reason?

scottlinux
Oct 31, 2006, 10:56 AM
Yeah you're right. No importing of audio.
You'll either have to export your reason song as AIFF and then put that into garageband to add your audio, or rewire Reason into a sequencer like Logic. Good luck,

CanadaRAM
Oct 31, 2006, 11:05 AM
(based on Reason v2.0) You can import AIFF files into NN-19 sampler, or convert them to .rex files with ReCycle if you have it.

Don't you have the Reason manual?

zimv20
Oct 31, 2006, 12:11 PM
import AIFF files into NN-19 sampler
i did that once when i was running sound for a musical, with an oxygen-8. not only could i trigger the sounds faster (than on a CD player), but i could could combine them dynamically -- worked great for the storm sounds.

also worked great for a phone sound; i could stop triggering it as soon as the actor picked it up.

chuckles25
Oct 31, 2006, 10:55 PM
(based on Reason v2.0) You can import AIFF files into NN-19 sampler, or convert them to .rex files with ReCycle if you have it.

Don't you have the Reason manual?

yeah i have the manual but every time i try to import an aiff file on the reason browse page(using NN-19) it never shows garageband in my applications folder. so i tried exporting the live guitar from garageband to the desktop and diffrent locations but it always saves it as an m4a file and garageband dosent give me the option to change the format. I dont know maybe if i keep messing with it ill find a solution. but thanx for the advice. I guess the question is how to export a file in garageband keeping it as an aif or aiff file with out changing it into an mp3 or m4a. maybe im making this more complicated than it should be hahahhaha. but thanx for the help again

e-clipse
Nov 1, 2006, 07:50 AM
to import a the file into the sampler you do not select the guitar track from the file menu on the NN-XT....instead, click on the small arrow facing right on the NN-XT. This will expand the whole NN-XT interface. You will see a button that says, load sample...click on it and locate where you placed your guitar file and it will load in the sampler. To hear it just paint it within the pattern sequencer.

chuckles25
Nov 1, 2006, 12:52 PM
to import a the file into the sampler you do not select the guitar track from the file menu on the NN-XT....instead, click on the small arrow facing right on the NN-XT. This will expand the whole NN-XT interface. You will see a button that says, load sample...click on it and locate where you placed your guitar file and it will load in the sampler. To hear it just paint it within the pattern sequencer.

yeah i understand loading the sample. the thing is reason wont locate the file
it wont show garageband in the applications and garageband wont export the guitar/vocal file into an aiff, aif, it just exports it as an mp3 or m4a. but thanx for the advice.

zimv20
Nov 1, 2006, 01:12 PM
it wont show garageband in the applications
i don't get that bit. you should be looking on the filesystem for your audio file, not at another app. but if you don't have a compatible audio file on the drive, then i would say you're stuck.

chuckles25
Nov 1, 2006, 09:48 PM
I exported the song in itunes which changed it into an mp3. then i just converted it in itunes, which i didnt know you could do. but i converted it into an aif file and saved it in the reason folder and just imported it using the NN-19.:) i thank all of u for the advice.

scottlinux
Nov 1, 2006, 10:04 PM
mp3 is a poor/lossy format. Is there any way to go directly to AIFF from garageband?

chuckles25
Nov 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
mp3 is a poor/lossy format. Is there any way to go directly to AIFF from garageband?

no, you have to export it in to itunes then u click on prefrences>advanced>import using:>aiff encoder.
I thought that was a very complicated way of doing it but its the only way to have an exported garageband file in aiff format.

zimv20
Nov 1, 2006, 11:00 PM
though i've heard some cool stuff done in GB, in the end it is an entry level program. the lack of export options is a manifestation of that.

have you considered moving to another program? (besides Reason, that is)

chuckles25
Nov 1, 2006, 11:54 PM
though i've heard some cool stuff done in GB, in the end it is an entry level program. the lack of export options is a manifestation of that.

have you considered moving to another program? (besides Reason, that is)

I want to but i cant afford it. and every time i try to download a program they dont ever leave the serial # for u to access the program, i even google serials, but no luck. ( i probably shouldnt have mentioned that). I want logic pro but its way to expensive and if i get the demo version and create a song that i love im going to get pissed becouse it probably wont let me export or burn it to a disk. plus the college im attending right now is a joke they have one class called digital sound and their using adobe audtion 1.0 hahahahahah. yeah so im transfering to a diffrent school next semester. I heard apple has a discount on Logic, I think it actually cuts the price in half im going to check it out. Do u have any recommendations on diffrent programs that i should try using?

zimv20
Nov 2, 2006, 12:22 AM
Do u have any recommendations on diffrent programs that i should try using?
the usual suspects are logic, pro tools, digital performer, cubase and ableton live. there's great feature overlap among them and they're all powerful.

biggest differentiator is that PT needs either m-audio or digidesign hardware to run. after that, it comes down to workflow and which app makes the most sense to you when you're at the controls.

and yeah, you should pay for your software. 'nuff said.

chuckles25
Nov 5, 2006, 12:48 AM
thanx for the advice guys