PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Cam

Frankf300
Oct 31, 2006, 01:22 PM
I'm looking into buying a wireless helmet cam...Oregon Scientific ATC 1000, cheap little camera to mess around with while snowmobiling and stuff. Problem is that I read that it doesn't work with OS X. So, I was thinking of something, but wanted to see if you thought it would work before I go buy it. It uses an SD card to store the video. My Nikon Coolpix L4 serves as a drive when plugged in and also uses SD. So, instead of buying a card reader, my Nikon should be able to read the SD card from the helmet cam and the helmet cam files should show up in the folders, right? Seems like it should work, just want to double check. So, in plain english again...SD card from helmet cam put into the Nikon which gets plugged in read as a removable drive and files should show up on drive, right? Thanks.

Edit: I also posted this in the buying advice section before I realized it would probably be better here since it has to do with a helmet cam.

Texas04
Oct 31, 2006, 03:31 PM
I have a camera that does video.. its a Kodak and it saves video on an SD card, when I import it it connects directly w/ iPhoto and downloads the video. (This is w/ the most recent version) so theoretically yes... but not 100% sure

srf4real
Oct 31, 2006, 03:42 PM
If the data is stored on SD card, there is no reason why Mac OSX won't be able to recognize the photos... what they meant was there are no Mac OS drivers for the helmet cam. You might need a USB SD card reader to connect to your Apple to get at the pics; your other camera might work. but whatever you end up doing, post your pics in MR!:)

Lebowski
Oct 31, 2006, 05:24 PM
15 frames per second..... and considering that most great shots from it you would want to slow down a bit.... thats gonna look HORRIBLE. dont expect high res images or smooth scanning.

Frankf300
Oct 31, 2006, 05:52 PM
Yea, I know. That's why I'm thinking about holding off for a bit and buying the new one that just came out. 30fps and is Mac compatible, no questions. I think it would be worth the extra like $50.

Proto Media
Oct 31, 2006, 07:03 PM
samsung makes this camera, which comes with a helmet cam attachment. I don't know how much it costs, or if it shoots 30 fps, but its worth a look. I couldn't see the frame rate anywhere, but Im sure you can find it if you hunt. here is the link:

LINK HERE (http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camcorder/DigitalMemory/SC_X210LXAA.asp)

NTJetboater
Oct 31, 2006, 10:32 PM
There both junk IMO. I have the samsung kit...in a bag somewhere.
Get a www.helmetcamera.com system. the 560 is a great cam, waterproof to 100 feet and take a jet blast like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMEHldpWf8

or shop around..viosport are supposed to be good also. Lots of options.