PDA

View Full Version : Sonnet G4 firmware patch for B&W G3

zen.state
Oct 31, 2006, 01:34 PM
I recently bought an apple G4 400mhz zif on ebay. it was pulled out of a yikes G4 and I will be installing it in my B&W.

what i'm not 100% sure about is if the sonnet patch will work on non sonnet zifs. i'm sure it would work fine as it just a simple firmware patch to allow a B&W to use a G4.

I really want to use the sonnet firmware as its the only one that can be removed. you never know.. when I upgraded my other B&W to a sonnet G4 500 I later tried the old G3 zif and it didn't start. if this G4 zif ever blows up on me I want to be able to use the old G3 400 again so it would be nice to remove the G4 patch.

any thoughts would be great.

SmurfBoxMasta
Oct 31, 2006, 05:01 PM
Generally, firmware patches cannot be reversed, at least not without some programming knowledge anyways, or an uninstaller written by whoever wrote the patch.

OWC has a patch on it's website, which is what I used way back when I upgraded my smurfbox to a 550mhz cpu. I also used it on my firend's machines, and it worked well there too.

I dont know what is so special about Sonnet's patch, beyond the fact that they use it to sell their upgrade cards, but the block that is removed by the patch was something Apple put in place to prevent upgrades, so once that block code is removed, any brand of CPU upgrade will work........

disconap
Nov 1, 2006, 02:04 AM
I was able to reverse a firmware patch once, but it was a pain in the arse, and it wasn't back to factory, it was to an earlier update version I was able to find in an archive.

I would say hunt around the web a bit and find someone who has done what you're doing. I have a 550mHz Sonnet G4 upgrade in my b/w, I can hunt for the patch installer if you want.

zen.state
Nov 1, 2006, 09:11 AM
I was able to reverse a firmware patch once, but it was a pain in the arse, and it wasn't back to factory, it was to an earlier update version I was able to find in an archive.

I would say hunt around the web a bit and find someone who has done what you're doing. I have a 550mHz Sonnet G4 upgrade in my b/w, I can hunt for the patch installer if you want.

thanks but I already have the sonnet patch. I bought a sonnet G4 500 zif in 2003 for another B&W I have.