PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on hard drive upgrade for 12" 867 powerbook

mach1andy
Oct 31, 2006, 01:50 PM
A friend of mine gave me his old 887 12" powerbook because the hard drive is dead. Happy and eager with my fortune, I realized I didn't know which hard drive I should buy. I'm on newegg.com looking and there seems to be several 2.5" drives (for under $60 no less!)

My question, for this powerbook, do I want an IDE Ultra ATA-100 or an ATA-6 2.5" hard drive for the replacement? Does it make a difference?

I'm ready to hit 'buy' and would appriciate if anyone can respond!!

MacRumors community is the best!!

Andy

WildCowboy
Oct 31, 2006, 01:57 PM
They're one and the same. ATA-6 refers to the ATA version number, while Ultra ATA/100 refers to the maximum transfer speed.

ozontheroad
Oct 31, 2006, 02:00 PM
A friend of mine gave me his old 887 12" powerbook because the hard drive is dead. Happy and eager with my fortune, I realized I didn't know which hard drive I should buy. I'm on newegg.com looking and there seems to be several 2.5" drives (for under $60 no less!)

My question, for this powerbook, do I want an IDE Ultra ATA-100 or an ATA-6 2.5" hard drive for the replacement? Does it make a difference?

I'm ready to hit 'buy' and would appriciate if anyone can respond!!

MacRumors community is the best!!

Andy

not sure about your IDE Ultra or ATA 6 question

however be sure to get a 5400 or 7200 rpm HD the difference is notable compared to the 4200 rpm drives

try to get one with a large buffer (8 - 16 MB) some come with 2 MB

i would also recommend Seagate (Momentous) or Western Digital (Scorpio)

I had a WD Scorpio put in my PowerBook (867MHz) a month ago and its very quiet and didn't affect my battery time

mach1andy
Nov 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
I went with the Western Digital 80GB hard drive and it works great! These G4 Powerbooks have a ton of screws! I hope my macbook has an improved design. PS:: The hard drive was only $75 with shipping!! Newegg is a great company.