PDA

View Full Version : iPod won't play everything in genre

kpangilinan
Oct 31, 2006, 02:13 PM
I wanted to listen to all the songs I had under a specific genre. I kept clicking on ALL but when it got to the song list, it only displayed an album. I turned it off thinking it was a glitch but when I tried again, it was still the same problem. Anyone know how to explain what's going on and suggestions I should do?

dXTC
Oct 31, 2006, 02:44 PM
The following may seem like a stupid question, so pardon me for asking:

Have you examined your songs in iTunes to make sure that songs you think are in the desired genre actually have that genre listed in the Genre column? Even if they're off by one character-- even if that character is a space-- it's seen as a different genre. Same goes for blank genres.

kpangilinan
Oct 31, 2006, 03:23 PM
The following may seem like a stupid question, so pardon me for asking:

Have you examined your songs in iTunes to make sure that songs you think are in the desired genre actually have that genre listed in the Genre column? Even if they're off by one character-- even if that character is a space-- it's seen as a different genre. Same goes for blank genres.

I'm very meticulous about genres. I'm specific what songs belongs to what category and spend time in organizing my songs. You are misunderstanding my question. Okay, here's what I wanted to do:

I have a genre called Cartoons and I wanted to play all the songs. I clicked on genres -> then clicked on Cartoons -> Clicked on All for all artists -> But instead of going to the list of Albums within the Cartoon genre, it went directly to my Batman Beyond soundtrack.

Mal
Oct 31, 2006, 06:10 PM
The other thing to check (though it sounds like you've probably already checked) is that all the songs in that genre are in an album and have an artist listed. If they're not, they won't show up in that view.

jW

dXTC
Nov 1, 2006, 07:56 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding; no offense intended. I'm picky about genres, too-- I easily spend one-half of my active time in iTunes tweaking metadata tags. The online CD database services are far from perfect.

NicP
Nov 2, 2006, 05:38 AM
I'm betting you have only 1 album specified for that genre. If you have only one album in a genre (even if you have a whole lot of other songs in a genre with no album specified) and you go Genre -> all, the ipod thinks because you only have one album specified for that genre it should show only that album.

Does that make sense? the same happens on my ipod.

pjarvi
Nov 2, 2006, 11:58 AM
Check to see how many songs are being played, it should show something like "1 of 200" depending on how many songs you have in that genre. It's been awhile since I last used my iPod, but I thought it shows the album cover for the current song/album being played?

kpangilinan
Nov 3, 2006, 01:51 PM
I'm betting you have only 1 album specified for that genre. If you have only one album in a genre (even if you have a whole lot of other songs in a genre with no album specified) and you go Genre -> all, the ipod thinks because you only have one album specified for that genre it should show only that album.

Does that make sense? the same happens on my ipod.

Yes! Perfect sense! That's EXACTLY what it is. I just placed another album in there so at least all songs show up.