PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum PowerMac?

MacRumors
Apr 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
MacWhispers provides (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000061.php) some confirmaton for LoopRumors story of redesigned PowerMacs.

The report claims that the front panel of the upcoming PowerMac will be made of anodized aluminum -- much like the most recent PowerBook revision. According to the site, it will be "suprisingly sleek"

jeffberg
Apr 18, 2003, 10:55 AM
Can't Wait... I am getting tired of this plastic bubble stuff.

ennerseed
Apr 18, 2003, 11:18 AM
Apple will make a killing when they finally release this stuff.

evoluzione
Apr 18, 2003, 11:18 AM
it's about time they came out with a totally new box, i think i actually dreamt about this last night, that scared me a bit heh. but anyways, this current powermac box has been around since the B&W G3 in various guises. In my dream I think I envisioned a two part design, on main processor/hd/pci box that can be hidden away, and another, smaller, funky box, a la iMac but smaller, that would go on the desktop, just holding some ports, and a couple of drive bays etc. i hope it's more than just a new facia on the new macs....i really do.

NavyIntel007
Apr 18, 2003, 11:22 AM
but.. but... what if I need that handle?? :D

No seriously it's about time.

pgwalsh
Apr 18, 2003, 11:50 AM
I'm very curious about the design. For some reason I thought it might take a different shape or have a hole in the middle. Don't know why I thought that, just did. I hope it looks killer.

MrMacMan
Apr 18, 2003, 12:01 PM
Um... bad move... A metal PowerMac...

um... ewww.

kinless
Apr 18, 2003, 12:16 PM
I don't want to shell out $700 for a Sonnet 1GHz G4 upgrade on my faithful but aging beige Desktop G3. I don't have room for a tower.

PLEASE BRING BACK THE DESKTOP/PIZZA BOX ENCLOSURE FOR THE G5 FAMILY!

Wishful thinking...

aethier
Apr 18, 2003, 12:56 PM
dont towers take less desk room then pizza boxes? also the pizza box modles arent as cool looking

aethier

JesseJames
Apr 18, 2003, 01:06 PM
The next case is going to be made of adobe. :D

yzedf
Apr 18, 2003, 01:41 PM
Considering the limited upgrade possibilities with most Mac hardware, why not go for a smaller case design? Shave a inch or 2 of the width, and 4 or 5 off the height? I am not talking Shuttle SV24 small, but something that can have 2 optical drives and 2 hdd's and room for a decent video card.

In overly retarded form:

http://www.yzedf.com/pics/random/simple%20mac.bmp

DISCLAIMER: 2 seconds of thought (to find pencil / paper / scanner / email / shh) were used in this depiction. I know it looks similar to other machines on the market. I was thinking Al body, with slot loading vertically mounted optical drives. Rectangular shape is door to hide 2 FW 2 FW800 and 3 USB ports. Circles... I dunno.

Sun Baked
Apr 18, 2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Um... bad move... A metal PowerMac...

um... ewww. What's wrong with that, your looking at and ugly sheet metal box now with a plastic cover on it.

Why not get rid of the plastic cover and make the metal box the finished skin?

If the metal box looked as nice as the PowerBook 17 or TiBook 15...

shadowfax
Apr 18, 2003, 01:53 PM
i wonder if they will change the name. will we call them AlMacs?

daveg5
Apr 18, 2003, 02:05 PM
i hope they take the powersupply out give it a 30 foot detachable cord and quiet fan.
this will make the case very cool and quiet and give it more roome for an extra pci,agp,memory,optical drive slots or make it colle or smaller with the same capacity
upfront usb/firewire are a give as well as at 4 total usb port(no more hub if you have a scanner and printer that need power.
since no large power supply fan inside you can put this on top of the desk it will be quiet and good looking and have the first upgrade to apples 16 bit sound system whil still compatable. expect 24/96 and digital out5.1 output for the first time maybe using maudio technology(they have a pci card under $100. tv out we be included wia adapter like imac ibook powerbook and upcoming emac this are for video so you want to see how it looks on tv before you burn and progressive scan dvd a first for desktop.
So other then processor Apple will finally update thier forgotten 80's sound engine and like of connectivity to tvs and hi fi equipment

G4scott
Apr 18, 2003, 02:19 PM
Making the power supply external wouldn't work. Not to mention it would be a bad move. It was akward for the G4 cube, and the power supply would have to be powerful enough to power 4 hd's, 2 optical drives, 1 or 2 processors, and everything else. They could make quieter power supplies, but making them external would be taking a step backwards.

An aluminum design like that of the current PowerBooks would be really cool.

They could work on making the case smaller too. The current ones, while alright, are a bit bulky, and it's time for change.

Upgraded audio would be cool, but not too many people would need it. It'd be better to do a minor upgrade, but leave out the pro stuff. If they need it, they can buy it, but if Apple put it in, it would just jack up the price.

What would be cool, though, are special model desktops for different markets. A DV edition PowerMac. a Pro audio edition, a desktop publishing edition, you know. A base PowerMac design with different 'packages' that transform it into whatever you need or want, thus saving money for people who don't need an expensive audio card, graphics card, dvd burner, tons of HD space, and all that...

Of course, I imagine many pros would prefer to select their own equipment to make their Mac just right.

alxths
Apr 18, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
In overly retarded form:

http://www.yzedf.com/pics/random/simple%20mac.bmp

That looks too much like a face man, it'd just creep people out. :p
But yeah, I agree with the prospect of making them much smaller.. maybe with suction cups so you can stick it on your window ;)

phampton81
Apr 18, 2003, 02:55 PM
I am always skeptical of rumors that tell that I will be "surprised", these just aren't the terms I want to hear, and I have read them too many times at MOSR before my macrumors days. I know what terms we would all prefer, but they aren't words, they are all numbers i.e. 970 6-23-03, 2ghz, 17" 19" 30", blah blah blah you get the point.

Kid Red
Apr 18, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by phampton81
I am always skeptical of rumors that tell that I will be "surprised", these just aren't the terms I want to hear, and I have read them too many times at MOSR before my macrumors days. I know what terms we would all prefer, but they aren't words, they are all numbers i.e. 970 6-23-03, 2ghz, 17" 19" 30", blah blah blah you get the point.

Those are the rumors that you should believe. Why? That usually means tha tthe source can't give too much away to reveal their idientity and means the source is usually true.

A source had told me the LCD iMacs would be cool but also 'odd'. He nailed it.

ldjessee
Apr 18, 2003, 04:05 PM
Hello,

The problem with such a smaller case is that it would have less appel to those professionals that need to install heavy hardware (by heavy, I mean expensive and hot). The additional space is useful for installing additional fans (what, cant hear you over the fan noise) to cool additional hardware.

It comes down to how many different form factors do you need?

1 simplified desk top (imac/emac)
1 configurable desktop (powermac)
1 low end laptop (ibook)
1 high end laptop (power book)
1 rack mount system (XServe)
1 rack mount drive system (XRaid)

Now, there are a few anomolies with this theory, like the iMac/eMac.

This came about, in my opinion, that when they were looking for a replacement for the original CRT iMacs, Jobs was given two different designs, the flat panel iMac and what is now the eMac.

Obviously, they decided to go with the flat panel. But, educators needed something cheaper, and I am sure Apple didnt want to discount the flatpanel iMacs that much, so they said, just use that one design, we will call it the eMac for educators.

The different form factors of the powerbooks are just following the screen size, and they really do not provide that much differences between them.

As for the 2 different forms of XServe, I guess someone just didnt like all those drives in their server, so now they have the cluster XServe and the normal XServe.

I guess what I am trying to get at, there is really not enough room in the product line for a different product that is half way between the iMac and the powermac. Just another model to confuse buyers as to what they should get.

Atleast, that is my opinion from my point of view.

Flynnstone
Apr 18, 2003, 04:29 PM
I like the idea of splitting the box so to speak :)
Move as much noise generating equipment away from the use. So put the Power Supply and Hard drives in an enclosure that is away some where. Connect it to the main use via Firewire 800 and a power cable (single cable).
So the main unit would contain
- Dual 970s
- 8+ slots for ram
- 1 or 2 optical drives (can you get by with one?)
- video card ( perhaps more than 1 AGP port)
- all the audio and other ports.
- still need at least one fan.

This could be a relatively small unit. Possibly mount all this on the back a LCD display !

fred_lj
Apr 18, 2003, 05:59 PM
Splitting the box is dumb -- this is why there ARE all-in-one units AND towers. Why make a 3-piece unit (inc. monitor)? No.

ldjessee
Apr 18, 2003, 06:00 PM
Hello,

Split boxes did not seem to work the last time someone tried them (IBM).

But the problem is the number one cause of noise is the processor and expansion cards.

The processor(s) puts out more heat than the drive will. The display card (and some option cards, like video I/O) also generate a considerable amount of heat.

Thus, the fans that move the most air need to be where the processors, ram, AGP/PCI bus, and options cards are. That means this unit will cause the most noise.

Flynnstone
Apr 18, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by fred_lj
Splitting the box is dumb -- this is why there ARE all-in-one units AND towers. Why make a 3-piece unit (inc. monitor)? No.

Hey lets think out of the box :D

WM.
Apr 18, 2003, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

(my first post!)

Well, I typed a nice long reply that was wiped out when I forgot my password, accidentally closed the window in which I was typing this (using tabbed browsing), and finally had Safari crash on me for the third time in 3 1/2 months (a pretty good record, I'd say).

Suffice it to say that making the PSU external (let alone 30 feet away, as one poster suggested) would be very impractical due to the large wire that would be needed to prevent too much voltage drop between the PSU and the computer.

As for making the HDs external via FW 800, there wouldn't be nearly enough bandwidth for people who need to use multiple fast "internal" drives (like video and audio pros).

I'll elaborate if anyone would like me to.

HTH
WM

P.S. There's only a period in my username because these forums require at least three-letter ones.

P.P.S. Anyone know how to eliminate the line breaks in my sig?

Flynnstone
Apr 19, 2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by WM.
Hi all,

As for making the HDs external via FW 800, there wouldn't be nearly enough bandwidth for people who need to use multiple fast "internal" drives (like video and audio pros).

I'll elaborate if anyone would like me to.

Please elaborate :)

jragsdale
Apr 19, 2003, 06:01 AM
How about two G4 cube sized boxes, one for drives, and the other for the CPU, memory, video, audio, etc. A small 1U or so low power PSU in each cube, 200W or so, so it wouldn't be really hot and hard to cool (400W total so there should be plenty of power).

I'm just speculating, I really dig the idea of two detachable parts of the computer. Either have it "snapped" together or seperated. Apple could even have larger in size (so you can put more drives or other things) for each cube for different needs. Apple might even be able to distance itself from the "Macs are more expenive" crowd since you could upgrade one of the cubes vs. a whole new computer.

I don't see this happening though. If something like this were to happen from any manufacturer it would be from Apple, it seems like a risky design move. I guess we can all just keep dreaming and see what happens.

maradong
Apr 19, 2003, 08:42 AM
now that would be really gr8 :)

bbarnhart
Apr 19, 2003, 10:37 AM
I spent a few hours this morning on a mock up of the new Aluminum PowerMac. Let me know what you think.

Here is the link (http://www.barnhart.info/PMG4AL.jpg) .

makkystyle
Apr 19, 2003, 10:51 AM
looks good barnhart, but I think there will be a bit more of design change i.e. no plastic handles, maybe new shape.

kansaigaijin
Apr 19, 2003, 11:28 AM
external power supplies are great idea, I have seen some nice units on sale here in Japan.

big plug goes into back of case, splitter inside distributes power.

Playfrsbee
Apr 19, 2003, 12:28 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I always liked the idea that the powermac line since the b&w g3 could be elegantly rackmounted with a piece of aftermarket hardware. I love the idea of this for professional audio/video purposes, especially if you could put the tower in one of those "isoraxx" enlclosure. (isoraxx (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IsoRaxxGr30/).

Essentially, this is a fix for everyone who hates the current power supply noise for professional purposes, while still providing 10 or 11 rack spaces for other gear (like external hard drives, power amps, etc...

For my money, I say keep the current size dimensions, but change the aesthetic appearance (aluminum's fine with me)

--Ethan

GeneR
Apr 19, 2003, 02:03 PM
Maybe they will make it look like an appliance. And maybe they will find a way to have the heat dissipation similar to the Cube. If so, it'll be quiet, and (hopefully) very expandable.

Can't figure which way they'll go on it. Just hope it doesn't look like a toaster oven! :D

cubist
Apr 19, 2003, 02:36 PM
When they say "like the 17" laptop" they mean it will be primarily rectangular, with small rounded corners.

"Anodized": Are the powerbooks anodized? I thought that term meant some kind of electrically-etched surface like the black fronts of some stereos.

Why is it specific that only the "front panel" is anodized aluminum? Is the rest of it still plastic? Perhaps the front looking like a wide, shallow Xserve bolted into a smoke-colored, plastic mini-rack cabinet?

WM.
Apr 19, 2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Flynnstone
Please elaborate :)

OK :)

Remember that FW 800 is only theoretically as fast as one ATA/100 channel (and remember also that you have to account for the overhead of the bridge chip(s)). So people who want four "internal" ATA/100 drives, on two channels (like in the current Power Mac*) or four (like in the current Xserve), would be quite unhappy with how slow their drives would be, unless they only need a maximum of 100 MB/s throughput at any given time (which I suppose is possible).

FW 3200 would provide enough throughput for four ATA/100 channels--but I suspect that by the time it's released, parallel ATA will be long gone, and we'll all be used to 200 MB/s SATA drives. Which brings up an interesting point--does anyone know if SATA can be an external interface, unlike parallel ATA?

So at this point, I think the only viable interface for multiple fast external drives is 160+ MB/s SCSI (unless you want to talk about Fibre Channel).

*One of the ATA channels in the FW 800 and MDD PMG4s is ATA/66, not ATA/100, and of course there's also an ATA/33 one for the optical drives.

Edit:

Re: cubist: Yes, the AlBooks are anodized.

HTH
WM

shadowfax
Apr 19, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by cubist
When they say "like the 17" laptop" they mean it will be primarily rectangular, with small rounded corners.

"Anodized": Are the powerbooks anodized? I thought that term meant some kind of electrically-etched surface like the black fronts of some stereos.

Why is it specific that only the "front panel" is anodized aluminum? Is the rest of it still plastic? Perhaps the front looking like a wide, shallow Xserve bolted into a smoke-colored, plastic mini-rack cabinet?

i am not positive, but i think you have the anodizing thing right on. the main idea, though, is if you colorize the aluminum, then the scratches won't show as much because the coloring is all the way through the aluminum, not just on the surface, like paint on the TiBook.

bbarnhart
Apr 19, 2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by makkystyle
looks good barnhart, but I think there will be a bit more of design change i.e. no plastic handles, maybe new shape.

It was supposed to be a joke.

3G4N
Apr 19, 2003, 06:49 PM
think of a cube,
now make it a tall tower,
then add aluminium.
new power mac.

shadowfax
Apr 19, 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 3G4N
think of a cube,
now make it a tall tower,
then add aluminium.
new power mac. man, that would be tight to have a computer with a base like the cube but maybe 2x taller and a little bit wider on each base length. but aluminum... not on a cube, unless it were under the clear plastic.

WM.
Apr 19, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadowfax
i am not positive, but i think you have the anodizing thing right on. the main idea, though, is if you colorize the aluminum, then the scratches won't show as much because the coloring is all the way through the aluminum, not just on the surface, like paint on the TiBook.

Not quite...

As I understand it from a thread on Macintouch, anodizing creates a very thin, very hard layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, this is done "electrolytically" (thus anode-izing).

If you add certain impurities during the process, they will create the various colors that are possible.

I think. :)

HTH
WM (not a materials scientist or engineer)

shadowfax
Apr 19, 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by WM.
Not quite...

As I understand it from a thread on Macintouch, anodizing creates a very thin, very hard layer of aluminum oxide on the surface of the aluminum. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, this is done "electrolytically" (thus anode-izing).

If you add certain impurities during the process, they will create the various colors that are possible.

I think. :)

HTH
WM (not a materials scientist or engineer)

ahhhh, my bad. i think i have anodized aluminum on the front of my receiver... i wonder if it helps make it less resonant or something too.

WM.
Apr 19, 2003, 11:25 PM
Hi again,
Originally posted by Shadowfax
ahhhh, my bad.
No problem--I'm here to help! :)
i think i have anodized aluminum on the front of my receiver... i wonder if it helps make it less resonant or something too.
(drifting off-topic here...as a newbie, I don't know if it's okay for a thread to sort of naturally drift OT...I won't be mad if this is deleted...)

You've stumbled onto another one of my passions--audio--but I'll try to keep this short. :)

In short, you've been deceived by some of the marketing bulls--t that is rampant throughout home theater/hi-fi/audiophilia (that's not a word but I don't care). All this kind of stuff about the magic blocks you put under your CD player or the incredible triangle you put on your coffee table...it's all so much BS. The only thing your receiver's enclosure has to do with its sound is how good of a shield it is (and probably grounding stuff, etc.). But its "resonance" isn't going to affect the electronics inside. I suppose it does have an acoustic resonance, which would affect the sound if you put your speakers on top of it. But I'm not sure how that would be affected by its material, and especially by how the surface of that material is treated.

HTH
WM (not an electrical engineer either (yet))

shadowfax
Apr 20, 2003, 12:03 AM
wtf, WM? i can't even PM you. that's pretty anal, lol. anyways, i made us a thread, here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24852).

CZone
Apr 20, 2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Flynnstone
So the main unit would contain
- Dual 970s
- 8+ slots for ram
- 1 or 2 optical drives (can you get by with one?)
- video card ( perhaps more than 1 AGP port)
- all the audio and other ports.
- still need at least one fan.

This could be a relatively small unit. Possibly mount all this on the back a LCD display !

Wow! 8+ slots for RAM?
Can the 970 support so much memory?

tacojohn
Apr 20, 2003, 12:30 PM
I still like this design the best out of everything. Matches the pro stuff perfectly- looks like xserve and new powerbooks.

http://homepage.mac.com/tacojohn/.Pictures/newg4tower.jpg

shadowfax
Apr 20, 2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by tacojohn
I still like this design the best out of everything. Matches the pro stuff perfectly- looks like xserve and new powerbooks.

http://homepage.mac.com/tacojohn/.Pictures/newg4tower.jpg that's pretty sweet man. i don't think the speaker fits, though. it needs a grille over it like the fan intake, i think. that could be pretty cool. it would definitely be a new directon :eek:

daedelgt
Apr 20, 2003, 12:44 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/tacojohn/.Pictures/newg4tower.jpg :eek: Wow!

michaelyoung
Apr 20, 2003, 02:17 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/tacojohn/.Pictures/newg4tower.jpg

Nice job man! I would be very happy if the new macs looked that cool.

I still want a handle somewhere (even if it pop out a la xserve drives) cause i have to move these things a lot.

Cool.

tacojohn
Apr 20, 2003, 02:40 PM
Sorry- its not my pic. I remembered saving it from somewhere and I put it on my iDisk for you guys to see.

(I would be able to put something like that together w/ my photoshop skills though :-))

It is nice though no?

I do like the idea of the xServe swap drives!

daedelgt
Apr 20, 2003, 03:49 PM
Sorry- its not my pic. I remembered saving it from somewhere and I put it on my iDisk for you guys to see.

(I would be able to put something like that together w/ my photoshop skills though :-))

It is nice though no?

I do like the idea of the xServe swap drives!

Cross compatible, hot swapable drives would be insanely handy. I love the look of the X-Serve, and that looks just as good.

G4scott
Apr 20, 2003, 07:11 PM
I'll bet on an x-serve, PowerBook looking thing. It wil be one unit (NOT TWO!!!). Two is just bad, and complicates things more... One must always remember the following rule: Keep it simple stupid.

Whatever the new case looks like, I hope it has plenty of other features to make it really cool... Apple will finally catch up, if not pull ahead, in the desktop market...

mnkeybsness
Apr 20, 2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by kinless

PLEASE BRING BACK THE DESKTOP/PIZZA BOX ENCLOSURE FOR THE G5 FAMILY!

earth to you...the G5 research has been cancelled...moving on to the IBM 970

jragsdale
Apr 20, 2003, 09:36 PM
If the lawsuit against Moto goes well the 970 might end up being called the "G5." That is, if the 970 ends up in the next Macs, which is likely.

Flynnstone
Apr 20, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by CZone
Wow! 8+ slots for RAM?

A 32 bit PowerPC (or other ) can directly support 4 GB of address space (memory).
A 64 bit PowerPC like the 970 in 64 bit "mode" can support... well a HUGE amount of memory. So I think 1 Gig DIMMS are available (or soon to be). So 4 DIMMs would only be 4 GB, not enough ! 8 DIMMS would give 8 GB. I am also assuming Dual Channel, so 2 times 4 DIMM, with 4 DIMMs per channel.
This would put Intel desktop machines (P4s) at a disadvantage. Which would not be a bad thing
:D

VIREBEL661
Apr 21, 2003, 11:10 AM
Really cool... I LIKE the plastic bubble stuff, though! I love my G3 SMURF!!! :D

daveg5
Apr 21, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Making the power supply external wouldn't work.

Daveg5: I disagree, The Cube PSU was years ago, Apple is always on the leading edge and may have some new ideals here, if so it would mean cooler, quieter, roomeier and more reliable computers , but I may be wrong.

Upgraded audio would be cool, but not too many people would need it. It'd be better to do a minor upgrade, but leave out the pro stuff. If they need it, they can buy it, but if Apple put it in, it would just jack up the price.

DaveG5: I totlally disagree with you here. Apple touts 24/192 Audio as one of OSX best features, yet refuses to upgrade its 80's 16 bit engine that is cpu dependent stealing fps and cpu cycles from apps. Just imagine if video, harddrive, mhz, and memory were left to stagnate and be ignored for so long. If M-audio can sell 24/192 7-1 pci/usb sound cards for $69 and make a profit, surely Apple can upgrade to 24bit/96 compatable sound with a digital out for surround systems probably add $10 to the unit.
With 24/96 multichannel dvd-audio and sacds and dvd titles on the market and powermacs producing/authuoring a lot of these soon, "it only makes audio sense after 15 years" to finally upgrade the audio to the operating systems specs". True pros can still get there Gold plated multi channel firewire/usb/pci/dsp cards for hundreds seperately.

What would be cool, though, are special model desktops for different markets. A DV edition PowerMac. a Pro audio edition, a desktop publishing edition, you know. A base PowerMac design with different 'packages' that transform it into whatever you need or want, thus saving money for people who don't need an expensive audio card, graphics card, dvd burner, tons of HD space, and all that...

DaveG5: Totally agree with you here, Apple should take a look at dell.com and stop charging so much more for memory and harddrive upgrades on thier site. I mean why pay more to get a 120GB drive when it cost more then retail and you dont get credit for the one you are replacing that was including and memory prices are higher then going to kingston or micron who supply Apple.
I am all for more choices at fair prices and models geared toward vid/audio/graphics/design with a high customization factor

Of course, I imagine many pros would prefer to select their own equipment to make their Mac just right.

DaveG5: In most cases yes, but if Apple had a fair priced turnkey system I would go for it and many others

DaveG5 The Aluminum Powermac Pic from last year i think is very close to what we will see with a little more detailing and upfront usb/firewire ports

szark
Apr 21, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by CZone
Wow! 8+ slots for RAM?

The 970 has 42-bit addressing capability, allowing it to access approximately 4 TB of memory (4,000 GB).

eric_n_dfw
Apr 22, 2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by szark
The 970 has 42-bit addressing capability, allowing it to access approximately 4 TB of memory (4,000 GB). Can't wait for the 1st 1TB memory stick! (DIMM, holographic crystal, magic gnome, who knows what'll be!)

tazo
Apr 25, 2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
MacWhispers provides (http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/archives/000061.php) some confirmaton for LoopRumors story of redesigned PowerMacs.

The report claims that the front panel of the upcoming PowerMac will be made of anodized aluminum -- much like the most recent PowerBook revision. According to the site, it will be "suprisingly sleek"

god i hope not. the aluminum powerbooks are a-s-s ugly. honestly. why would apple make one awesome looking tower look like absolute crap by adding a grittle to its surface? if i saw a 17'' in titanium the thing would look like it was worth a million bux-and it would be, however its in that ghastly aluminum finish that u can cook with. :p

jragsdale
Apr 25, 2003, 06:25 PM
What's wrong with the current case? It ain't broken for me so I can't see why Apple needs to fix it. I can see where some feel it's flaws are: weight, noise, and lack of having two optical drives and look as nice as the Quicksilver.

The door and handles make a lot of sense. Why take them away for a boring square shaped box? Brushed aluminum be damned.

silvergunuk
Apr 26, 2003, 11:46 PM
My idea was a slimline tower that had a white scratch metal front and was glass on the sides with an apple logo that glows brighter the darker the room gets. Maybe a nice white light to match the front. Also a transparent keyboard with scratch metal flat keys and back lighting system. A 3 buttoned mouse (for us 3D artists) with a ipod type scroll wheel on the top to give more control over the cursor.