Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Hi all, I'm currently using my Powermac G4 as a file server, wired to my other computers. In the future, though, I'd like to be able to stick it in a closet or cabinet somewhere, out of the way, and wirelessly stream video and music from it to all the other computers in the household.

So, can anyone recommend a good wireless card that will allow the Sawtooth to smoothly send video and music to multiple computers? I have a spare Airport card I could use, but I'm fairly sure that those speeds are too slow for video and whatnot.

Thanks!

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
So, can anyone recommend a good wireless card that will allow the Sawtooth to smoothly send video and music to multiple computers? I have a spare Airport card I could use, but I'm fairly sure that those speeds are too slow for video and whatnot.

Why don't you just try it. All you have to do is put it in, there is no drivers to install or anything.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
i use a 350 mhz sawtooth as a file server.

instead of adding in a card, i just plug it into my router, then either stream through iTunes or mount the hard drives on my laptop. rather easy to do.

just make sure to password the server if you are on an open metwork

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, mine is plugged in to a router right now, but in the future I'd like it to be out of the way without having to draw cables all over the house for it.

I tried my Airport card in it, and video was way too slow and choppy. Music was ok, though there were pauses between tracks. So, I think I need something that can handle at least Wireless G? Any recommendations on a cheap PCI card?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
was looking for one also awhile ago, and ran across THIS on ebay. no connection to this seller, and never managed to sell the client on it, so no idea on the card or the seller. cheaper than airport cards at the moment ... :eek:

just remembered it when i read this thread. good luck!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
That's just what I was looking for. I wonder what the quality of that card is, though, and how it really performs. I suppose no one here on MR has tried it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.