PDA

View Full Version : Restored Faith in People (A Lost iPod Story™)

Mal
Oct 31, 2006, 06:11 PM
Wow. I'm am truly shocked by the actions of an unknown individual at my university today.

Sometime between 11:00AM and 1:00PM, as I sat in the university student lounge, which is on the top floor of the Student Union building, my new pants revealed a troubling problem that will have to be fixed: the cargo pocket on the right side does not latch closed properly. The problem? My iPod was in that pocket. Of course, unlatched cargo pocket + me sitting on a couch in a comfortable position = iPod falling out of pocket. Thus, my iPod ended up on, in, or underneath the sofa in the lounge sometime around 12:00PM (+- 1 hour).

Approximately 6 hours later, I realized what had transpired. I returned to the building, knowing that the iPod was in all likelyhood lost forever, but holding out that small glimmer of hope that kept me from simply sinking into a deep funk that I would never recover from. With a sinking heart, I headed for the information desk to inquire about the "Lost and Found" area.

Upon hearing that I had lost an iPod, the nice lady behind the desk suppressed a giggle at the thought that it might have actually been turned in, but soon after bit it back with a small gasp. Indeed, an iPod seemed to be on the list of items turned in, and after a little searching, my beloved "Heart of Gold" (as I have named my iPod) was returned to me through my desperate attempt and the kindness of a random stranger whom I will never meet.

I must say, I didn't think there was a person on campus who would have turned in the iPod, at least not other than the few friends I have, all of whom were accounted for at the time of loss. I know have a slightly renewed faith in the ability of a small subset of the human population to do the right thing.

Anyone else had that same feeling lately?

jW

mikes63737
Oct 31, 2006, 07:16 PM
Yup. I dropped my phone at school about a month ago and I saw someone grab it and run off with it. I just thought "oh $&#*" and walked away. Apparently someone saw him take it and turned him in and then I got called down to the office and there was my phone. :)

MattyMac
Oct 31, 2006, 08:10 PM
That is awesome...I love hearing stories like that. I wish the whole world would be perfectly honest. I would do all I could to get an iPod or any item back to the rightful owner if I found something that didn't belong to me. It is only right. Glad it all worked out for you:)

iSaint
Oct 31, 2006, 08:50 PM
I got out of the car with my cell phone in my lap the other night while picking up my daughter from a field trip. My wife went by the school the next day to look for it in the parking lot. When they didn't see the phone, they called the number and a lady answered. She was in a parking lot at Lowe's just a mile down the road with my cell phone. She figured someone would call the number looking for it and kept it after finding it. We gave her a reward even though she didn't ask for it.