PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when we will be done?

jethroted
Apr 18, 2003, 01:11 PM
How close are we to finishing all the folding? Does anyone have a % of how much we have completed? 50%, 80%? Is it never ending? Will there always be folding to do?

Rower_CPU
Apr 18, 2003, 01:35 PM
I don't think there's any short-term goal in sight. I think as long as protein folding is not understood completely there will still be a need for F@H.

Maybe 10-20 years from now...who knows.

bousozoku
Apr 18, 2003, 02:16 PM
What was the milestone they reached last year?

Was it that the first of the proteins was completely analysed?

jethroted
Apr 18, 2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
I don't think there's any short-term goal in sight. I think as long as protein folding is not understood completely there will still be a need for F@H.

Maybe 10-20 years from now...who knows.

Oh god. I don't know if I can keep this up for 20 more years. I think we just need to get more done now. I'm gonna have to find some more computers to start folding....:rolleyes:

MrMacMan
Apr 18, 2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by jethroted
Oh god. I don't know if I can keep this up for 20 more years. I think we just need to get more done now. I'm gonna have to find some more computers to start folding....:rolleyes:

hehe, no one expect you to keep the computers aroung can you imagine baby's saying 'look at macrumors team folding, all they have are G4's and 970's, HAHAHAHAHA' :rolleyes: :D

It all depends on how many different protiens they want analyzed.

Well we finally maped our genome totally, so I mean there are few things people with computers can't do. But there is no current 'we will be done' by or when ____ is completed.