Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How much do you use Classic?

• All of the time.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Frequently.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Rarely.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I don't even have Classic Mac OS installed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Just curious about how much people are still using Classic. I don't even have it installed and I'm happy as a clam. :)

How often do you use it?

Matthew

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Unfortunately, most pro audio apps such as motu's Digital Performer and Cubaser VST 5.0 run only in 9 (at least for me, ... couldn't get them to run in OS X). Problem is, for midi setups, a lot of these rely on Opcode's Open Music System (OMS) to define the studio and instruments.

Also, my apps seem to run faster in 9 than in OS X, maybe due to the fact that I can allocate as much memory (I have a gig of ram) to the app, so it has more resources than with OS X's memory management. Who knows.
:)

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i very very rarely use classic in osx. but i boot up into os9 all the time. i probably spend more time in 9 than x. but once im in x im committed. no classic, unless an emergency. ive got classic starting up in about 30 seconds so its not too bad if i need a classic app real fast, but i quickly shut it down when im done. if i actually need to use a classic app then its reboot time. although mostly i reboot just because osx really gets annoying after awhile, everything so slow, and all the window issues that apple hasnt cleaned up. os9 is quite refreshing after a long stay in x... funny though osx is quite refreshing after some time in os9. osx is stable and easy on the eyes, but cramped buggy and slow. os9 is fast fast bug free and fast, oh and its fast.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
...osx really gets annoying after awhile, everything so slow, and all the window issues that apple hasnt cleaned up. os9 is fast fast bug free and fast, oh and its fast.

I get the same experience in OS X -> slow, clunky. Probably the most notable thing (since I use it a lot) is when you switch startup disks. In OS X, it has to think about it for awhile before you can restart. In OS 9, you just click and restart.

I'm a big fan of OS X, but sometimes it's like Apple's stringing us over it's 2 OSes. Hopefully future hardware improvements will help compensate for the quirks.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i havr no slow issues with x. im happy with x. i use classic when im doing graphic design work. nothing slow about it too me.

could be because of the ram and mhz i have. i dont know.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I use OS 9 at work, only because there are a few apps that won't run in classic mode (extension doesn't load that way).

At home, I run OS X 99% of the time. I also run classic as little as possible. If something starts up classic, I make it stop. I picked up updates to important applications so that I can run them under OS X (Illustrator 10 for just one).

I hope to be able to completely eliminate OS 9 on my TiBook in the near future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.