PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions about Metroid Prime: Hunters

bowens
Nov 1, 2006, 07:42 AM
First is it worth it? It looks like an awesome game. I love 1st person shooters (I play a lot of Halo and Halo 2). My biggest problem is I don't have high speed internet, so that leads me to my second question. Playing multi-player, is it possible to play against just AI players? I know like in Starcraft you could choose a multi-player and just play against the computer. Is this possible in Hunters? That would give me a lot more game play out of this even though I won't really be able to play multi-player.

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 08:34 AM
First is it worth it? It looks like an awesome game. I love 1st person shooters (I play a lot of Halo and Halo 2). My biggest problem is I don't have high speed internet, so that leads me to my second question. Playing multi-player, is it possible to play against just AI players? I know like in Starcraft you could choose a multi-player and just play against the computer. Is this possible in Hunters? That would give me a lot more game play out of this even though I won't really be able to play multi-player.

I can't tell you 100% for sure as my DS is at home, but I'm pretty confident that I have played at least some of the multiplayer modes against bots. I could be wrong, tho. Fun game, though. The controls work out great, imo.

I'm probably going to sell/trade in my copy of Metroid if you're thinking of buying it (had it since I got the system, so pretty burned out on it). I'd trade it for New Super Mario Bros if you have a copy of that you'd like to get rid of. :)

bowens
Nov 1, 2006, 08:52 AM
I can't tell you 100% for sure as my DS is at home, but I'm pretty confident that I have played at least some of the multiplayer modes against bots. I could be wrong, tho.

I'm probably going to sell/trade in my copy of Metroid if you're thinking of buying it. I'd trade it for New Super Mario Bros if you have a copy of that you'd like to get rid of. :)

I have beat NSMB but my wife is still playing it. I found a copy of Hunters on eBay and the guy selling it lives close to me so I may try to buy it and pick it up from him. If not I may let you know.

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 08:59 AM
I have beat NSMB but my wife is still playing it. I found a copy of Hunters on eBay and the guy selling it lives close to me so I may try to buy it and pick it up from him. If not I may let you know.

Sure, no problem, just thought I'd ask. :) You'll enjoy it in any case, if you liked the previous FPS Metroid games especially. I personally thought it was better than the GC versions of the series.

Dagless
Nov 1, 2006, 09:39 AM
It's worth it. After playing both single player and multi player for about 9 hours apiece, I can say I much prefer it offline. It feels *almost* like the console versions, 2 games I regard as the best of the current generation.

You can have bots yes. Best part about the bots is they don't cheat, unlike human counterparts!

bowens
Nov 1, 2006, 09:56 AM
It's worth it. After playing both single player and multi player for about 9 hours apiece, I can say I much prefer it offline. It feels *almost* like the console versions, 2 games I regard as the best of the current generation.

You can have bots yes. Best part about the bots is they don't cheat, unlike human counterparts!

Excellent! Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. Hopefully I'll pick this up in the next few days. I've never played any of the Metroid games before, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 10:38 AM

The single player adventure was fun. I thought better than the console ones (as I mentioned) in that the level designs were ... not better per se, but... cleaner? More logical? Maybe just easier to navigate? I liked the puzzles in this one better than the console games as well, but I'm not a huge fan of the Metroid FPS series (the old side scrolling Metroids were good fun, of course).

The online play is pretty OK, not had people "cheat" on me, but I haven't played it online much lately. The bots and/or local multiplayer is a blast though. I thought several of the multiplayer levels were excellent, as much fun as I had playing UT2k3 or the excellent Urban Terror Quake 3 mod maps (my all time favorite multiplayer FPS).

Mavimao
Nov 1, 2006, 01:58 PM
I've never played the GC versions, but I thought MPH was a bit redundant about halfway through. It's not a terrible game, by far. It just could have been better.

The multiplayer is what shines though. Great deathmatches, although, it's hard to get friends together for a match...so..anyone up for some Metroid? (wink wink)

srobert
Nov 1, 2006, 02:43 PM
I liked it but it gave me cramps in the area between my wrist and thumb on my left hand very quickly. You have to hold the DS and manipulate the D-Pad at the same time with that hand. (That's for the default control method) I can only play 2-3 matches in a row before I have to put it down. Also, in story mode, I have to pause halfway through bosses to give my hand a rest. Only me?

bowens
Nov 2, 2006, 07:09 AM
Well I won the game. I was planning on going into town tonight anyway so I'm going to pick it up tonight. I got it for $14.50 plus I won't have s&h. That's not a bad deal I don't think. Most of them I saw were going for around $20 plus shipping. If you guys haven't heard of it, if you're looking for something on eBay go to www.FatFingers.com (http://www.fatfingers.com) and they search for misspellings of whatever it is you're looking for. This game was spelled "Metriod" instead of "Metroid" so only one other person had bid on it. I looked at it at some local game stores and new it was $35 used $30 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I'll play it a little tonight and tell you how I like it tomorrow.

Mavimao
Nov 2, 2006, 07:27 AM
Well I won the game. I was planning on going into town tonight anyway so I'm going to pick it up tonight. I got it for $14.50 plus I won't have s&h. That's not a bad deal I don't think. Most of them I saw were going for around $20 plus shipping. If you guys haven't heard of it, if you're looking for something on eBay go to www.FatFingers.com (http://www.fatfingers.com) and they search for misspellings of whatever it is you're looking for. This game was spelled "Metriod" instead of "Metroid" so only one other person had bid on it. I looked at it at some local game stores and new it was $35 used $30 so I think I got a pretty good deal. I'll play it a little tonight and tell you how I like it tomorrow.

Awesome! Thanks for the link!

bowens
Nov 3, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well, I went and picked the game up last night and the guy didn't have a case for it. No big deal. So I left, went and ate dinner with my wife, went to a couple stores. We were just about to leave town and my wife wanted to go into a scrapbooking store so I told her I'd wait in the car. So I popped in Metroid and come to find out it is the demo, First Hunt. I quickly called the guy back and he said he had no idea it was the demo. I raced back across town and got my money back. So if anybody out there wants to sell a copy of the whole game, let me know.

mrgreen4242
Nov 3, 2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I went and picked the game up last night and the guy didn't have a case for it. No big deal. So I left, went and ate dinner with my wife, went to a couple stores. We were just about to leave town and my wife wanted to go into a scrapbooking store so I told her I'd wait in the car. So I popped in Metroid and come to find out it is the demo, First Hunt. I quickly called the guy back and he said he had no idea it was the demo. I raced back across town and got my money back. So if anybody out there wants to sell a copy of the whole game, let me know.

I've got one I'd like to sell. Case, manual, etc. $20+shipping? $4 for Priority (2-3), First Class should be around $2 (2-6 days).