PDA

View Full Version : I think I might get an 80gig Black Ipod today, but I need to be talked into it.....

BiikeMike
Nov 1, 2006, 08:28 AM
Yesterday was my birthday, and I asked for an iPod. Everyone said it was too expensive, so they sent me checks. I have enough to cover it, but having the straight up money, I feel I should put it toward bills/rent/food/etc. $350 plus a case, plus the apple care is a lot of money, how can I justify spending it? Right now I have a 30gig Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox which is old, has poor battery life, kind of clumsy menus, not great integration with my MBP, but it still plays my music.

I want the iPod for its better menus, search functions, easily updateable, USB2, Video, and Photos. I work retail at a Bicycle shop, and this is the SLOOOOOOOOOOW time of year for us, so I figure I can watch some Law and Order on it when we go 4 hours without seeing a customer. I guess technically I could do that on my palm Treo, but I'd have to get bigger memory cards, and they only come up to 1gig, and the L&O season is 7gigs.

There are also lots of fun accessories out there for iPods.

What should I do?

dmw007
Nov 1, 2006, 08:32 AM
I say just go for it. I have a 60GB iPod 5G and I love it, awesome only begins to describe it. :)

If you can squeeze by with only having 30GB of storage, then go with the 30GB iPod and save some cash. :)

BiikeMike
Nov 1, 2006, 08:38 AM
I say just go for it. I have a 60GB iPod 5G and I love it, awesome only begins to describe it. :)

If you can squeeze by with only having 30GB of storage, then go with the 30GB iPod and save some cash. :)

Yeah, I've thought about that, but the one i have now is 30, and i've got over 20 of music........ and video is BIG!

Buschmaster
Nov 1, 2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I've thought about that, but the one i have now is 30, and i've got over 20 of music........ and video is BIG!
Over 20GBs of music?

Time to splurg. Just push buy and get yourself an 80GB iPod! ;) You'll love how easy it is to manage compared to... well, anything else.

ero87
Nov 1, 2006, 09:07 AM
I hate to be this guy, but...

wouldn't you love to watch those videos on a FULL-SCREEN iPod!!!! Maybe you should wait a couple more months?

TheMasin9
Nov 1, 2006, 09:13 AM
You will buy an 80 gig ipod <waves hand> (jedi mind trick)

OP proceeds to buy ipod

dextertangocci
Nov 1, 2006, 10:10 AM
I LOVE my 30GB 5G iPod!!!!

I have to charge it about twice a day I use it so much;)

alywa
Nov 1, 2006, 10:38 AM
I upgraded from a 40GB 4G B&W model to the new 80GB 5G (Black). I absolutely love it. Definately get the 80GB... video files are huge.

I flew across the US last weekend, and simply loved being able to watch shows (Simpsons, The Office, etc) on it... it really made the flight go by quickly.

The screen is amazing, the battery life is excellent (much better in the 80GB than the 30GB), and of course the interface and iTunes software are great.

If you are going to get kicked out of your place or are going to starve, of course don't get it. However, I have a rule that gift money should go towards a gift, not into the "general fund"... it will quicly dissappear and you will have nothing to show for it. So, I say "Go For It!"

-alywa

BiikeMike
Nov 1, 2006, 10:53 AM
I hate to be this guy, but...

wouldn't you love to watch those videos on a FULL-SCREEN iPod!!!! Maybe you should wait a couple more months?

If I want to watch on full screen, I can just use my MBP..... :)

I have the 2.16 Core Duo MBP, and yeah if I had waited a few more months, I could have the new C2D MBP, But, if I keep following that logic, i'd be waiting indefinantly. The G6 iPod will definantly be cool, but....... its not gonna help me now. Its not gonna get me through the 8 hours riding in a car this weekend. its not going to get me through the 9 hour days of sitting in the shop helping 5 customers a day until Thanksgiving.

They just updated the G5 iPods, do you really think the G6's are going to come out before Christmas?

AdeFowler
Nov 1, 2006, 10:56 AM
I upgraded from a 40GB 4G B&W model to the new 80GB 5G (Black). I absolutely love it. Definately get the 80GB... video files are huge
Exactly the same situation for me. I still can't believe how good the screen is. Treat yourself ... you deserve it ;)

AndyM
Nov 1, 2006, 10:57 AM
I was going to get an 80gb black ipod, but once i went to the apple store and looked at both the 30 and 80, i much prefered the thinness of the 30 compared to the 80. the 80 is noticable thicker, which some people might not care about.

I love my 30gb to bits and am so glad i got it over the 80.

ClassicFitness
Nov 1, 2006, 11:17 AM
I was in the same situation as you last week. I had a blue mini 6GB and I was thinking buying the video one. Wasn't sure about it. So I closed my eyes and bought it just like that. Now, I'm asking myself why I waited so long. It's a real jewel:eek: . I bought the 30GB and I can't imagine a better mp3 player. I was not sure if I would wait for the 6g, but don't forget that this next gen. player will cost a lot of money compare to the actual 5.5g.
So I would say....GO:cool:

BiikeMike
Nov 1, 2006, 11:10 PM
Well, Here it is, in my hot little hands! Got it at the apple store right before I went to price club, and found it there $10 cheaper! Oh well. I'm currently Transferring 21 gigs of music to it, and encoding 5 episodes of Law and Order SVU to transfer to it.

I don't know if my MacBook Pro has ever really worked this hard before......... encoding video is hard work, espeically 5 at a time! I didn't realize it would take so long though. I'm using Quicktime Pro and exporting .AVI files to .M4V. Is there a faster program or a better format to use?

Just keep in mind, I'm new to all this iPod stuff!

lamina
Nov 2, 2006, 11:00 AM
Well, Here it is, in my hot little hands! Got it at the apple store right before I went to price club, and found it there $10 cheaper! Oh well. I'm currently Transferring 21 gigs of music to it, and encoding 5 episodes of Law and Order SVU to transfer to it.

I don't know if my MacBook Pro has ever really worked this hard before......... encoding video is hard work, espeically 5 at a time! I didn't realize it would take so long though. I'm using Quicktime Pro and exporting .AVI files to .M4V. Is there a faster program or a better format to use?

Just keep in mind, I'm new to all this iPod stuff!

From my experience, iSquint (http://www.isquint.org/) is better and will do a batch job as opposed to doing 5 things at once.

Killyp
Nov 2, 2006, 11:21 AM
The 80gb is a beauty isn't it? I love mine! :)

BiikeMike
Nov 2, 2006, 07:16 PM
Lamina, Thanks, I'm DLing it now :)

And yeah, its pretty beautiful :) I'm just worried because I don't have a case for it yet. I went to Circuit *****ty today to get one (I got a giftcard) but they were ALL out!

Anyway, Watched Law and Order at work today, Transferred all my music, DL'd all the covers, its pretty fun :)

fivetoadsloth
Nov 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
yeah iSquint ^^ does a MUCH better job than quicktime. Hope you like your new 'Pod.