PDA

View Full Version : Wii Virtual Console launch list

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 11:14 AM
Anyone else disapointed with the VC launch list? (For those who haven'y seen it yet, you can get a look here: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154811) The Sega and TBG16 lineup is pretty decent, but the stuff Nintendo is offering is ... sad. All good games, to be sure, but there's not many and there are much, much better games they could be selling.

That said, Toejam and Earl, Sonic, Golden Axe, Bonks Adventure, and F-Zero are enough to make it worth buying a classic controller (for the "free" points). I just hope that they give us more than 10 games a month as they have announced.

mkaake
Nov 1, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think it's pretty intentional that they're not releasing all of the classics at once...

It's like why they'll only release one AA or AAA title in a timeframe. If everyone went out, bought a Wii, and purchased 80 (well, probably not @$5+ each) classic games, but didn't buy any off the shelves titles, it wouldn't do them much good.

So, just like with the new games, they'll make it slow - keep adding content to make you check it every so often, and to keep you from buying too much too soon...

iLunar
Nov 1, 2006, 11:43 AM
The classic controller looks sweet. I can't wait to play Echo and Super Mario 64 again.

Btw, someone mentioned free Wii points with the classic controller. I can't seem to find a mention of that on IGN or any other retailer. Does the classic controller come with Wii points?

Tommyg117
Nov 1, 2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm a tad disappointed. where are the n64 games and SNES games? You can't tell me it's that difficult to get more than 2 SNES games to work on this system. Most of the VC titles I want are SNES games, I hope they update a lot. Anyone know how often Nintendo plans to release new VC titles?

Mr B
Nov 1, 2006, 11:52 AM
where's Rygar?

Sky Blue
Nov 1, 2006, 12:02 PM
The list is awful compared to the Japanese one.

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 12:08 PM
I think it's pretty intentional that they're not releasing all of the classics at once...

It's like why they'll only release one AA or AAA title in a timeframe. If everyone went out, bought a Wii, and purchased 80 (well, probably not @$5+ each) classic games, but didn't buy any off the shelves titles, it wouldn't do them much good.

So, just like with the new games, they'll make it slow - keep adding content to make you check it every so often, and to keep you from buying too much too soon...

I understand the reasoning, but my complaint's not in the number of total games released, or that I would like everything released at once. It's that the two systems with some of the greatest games from their generations are nearly not represented. Two SNES games? There's dozens of EXCELLENT SNES titles that aren't even AAA games... but we get Sim City? N64 has ONE game! Now, it's a classic I know, but... they could have done better and not cut into overall VC sales OR Wii game sales. Mario Kart 64 would have driven sales, imo.

atszyman
Nov 1, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's simple marketing, release a few A-list games and a lot of so-so games and when people go beat the A-list games quickly since they did it in the past, they will hopefully buy some of the so-so games to fill the void until the next release of VC games. If they only released the A-list games no-one would every buy some of the other titles since the abundance of good games would make it pointless. Staggering the releases will result in the sale of many games that no-one would buy if they had other choices.

Yes, it sucks I'll have to wait a long time to get my hands on SMB3 but even then they'll probably release Super Mario All Stars a few months later for the SNES VC.

It's all OK anyway since I'm holding out for the black Wii before buying.

0s and 1s
Nov 1, 2006, 12:14 PM
Pardon my Dutch, but I mother****in' love Solomon's Key!!! :eek:

Gone are the days where I had to blow into the game's connector and NES to make it playable.

Wow.....I can't wait!!!!

.....and where's Rygar, Dragon Warrior, and RBI Baseball? Oh....any way of playing others online??

rosalindavenue
Nov 1, 2006, 12:19 PM
I've read a lot on the Wii but have not seen much discussion of the control scheme for the VC games. Do you have to use a classic controller? Can you use the wii mote (on games with few enough buttons)? How about cube controllers?

Dagless
Nov 1, 2006, 12:20 PM
I'm happy with it. I'm glad they're drip feeding my addiction rather than throwing it all at me in one go. I can imagine my mum buying Mario Bros, I'd be extremely happy with Sonic the Hedgehog (as soon as I hear Starlight Zones music I will cry) and Donkey Kong Country. I'll certainly be buying my own classic controller just for these.

iKwick7
Nov 1, 2006, 12:23 PM
.....and where's Rygar, Dragon Warrior, and RBI Baseball? Oh....any way of playing others online??

Don't hold your breath on RBI Baseball- stupid licensing and whatnot, not sure how that aplies in this situation, but I don't see it coming out. Don't get me wrong though, RBI is my favorite game without a doubt, and I still play it every day (smart phones and nes emulators ROCK, and it is sitting in my NES at the moment).

ghall
Nov 1, 2006, 12:50 PM
Arrrgh! Where's Super Mario Bros?

treblah
Nov 1, 2006, 01:34 PM
Dammit! I was really hoping for some ExciteBike and WaveRace64 lovin'.

mrgreen4242
Nov 1, 2006, 02:18 PM
I've read a lot on the Wii but have not seen much discussion of the control scheme for the VC games. Do you have to use a classic controller? Can you use the wii mote (on games with few enough buttons)? How about cube controllers?

You can play NES games with just the Wiimote (turned on it's side). It's unclear (to me) if you can use a GC controller for the VC or if you will HAVE to buy a classic controller. I think the classic controller comes with close to it's retail price in VC download points, though.