PDA

View Full Version : 2G Shuffle shipping with old style earbuds and weak clips

oldwatery
Nov 1, 2006, 01:06 PM
iLounge readers have started to report the arrival of their second-generation iPod shuffles, and have noted two semi-surprises so far: unlike the iPod shuffles that were demonstrated at Apple’s “It’s Showtime” press event in September, actually shipping models are packaged with Apple’s older, less comfortable earphones rather than the newer, better ones found in current iPod and iPod nano boxes. Official Apple images of the new shuffle published since the event have included the older earbuds, confusing numerous attendees who tried the shuffle along with the improved earbuds. One reader has also reported that the integrated clip is “very weak,” and “won’t hang from a shirt while running,” suggesting that even if the iPod can be attached to clothes for casual use, additional athletic accessories will most likely be needed to render the shuffle safe for active users to wear. Expect additional details as the day progresses, including updates to our extended First Look at the new shuffle. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/new-ipod-shuffle-arrives-old-earphones-weak-clip/8907

todd2000
Nov 1, 2006, 01:55 PM
If you watched the special event, Steve mentioned NOTHING that would imply that the Shuffle comes with the new Earbuds. He specifically listed the New Earbuds for the Video, and Nanos, but the shuffle just said it comes with "Earbuds". Personally I think for the price the standard Earbuds are fine.

NATO
Nov 1, 2006, 02:20 PM
I bought a set of the new earbuds and god I hate them. The old ones sat in your ear and seemed pretty secure there. These new ones just seem to hover about in your ear, never seem very secure. I've reverted back to the old ones, very disappointed really.

oldwatery
Nov 1, 2006, 02:24 PM
I use Etymotics so this is not a worry for me.
I will be interested to see the clip first hand.
Mine arrives on Friday...I hope.

vi2867
Nov 1, 2006, 02:52 PM
I just called Apple about my order, and asked if the new Shuffles are being shipped with the old model headphones, and she stated she was not aware of this.

I told her, I have been hearing that the old headphones are being shipped with new Shuffles. She told me if that is true, and I have an issue with that to call Apple when I receive my order and they will take care it...

I bet you when I call back when I receive them, they will say that the order is correct, and the old model headphones are suppose be with the new Shuffle.

I will make them change them out...:)

PseudoWoobie
Nov 1, 2006, 02:53 PM
Just got my 2G Shuffle in the main today and yes, it's true that they ship with the old style earbuds. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. I have both types of earbuds now and notice no difference in sound quality, and in my ears both feel fine.

As far as the clip is concerned, it is weaker than I'd expected. The clip is fine for walking in a pair of jeans and clipping the shuffle to the pocket, but I really don't think that it would do well with running on a t-shirt or whatever. As I plan to just use it for walking around, this is not a problem for me. Runners, however, should be careful with this 2G Shuffle's clip.

dan-o-mac
Nov 1, 2006, 04:46 PM
I read on ilounge that the pic of the shuffle on the jean jacket is misleading, is the clip that weak? :eek:

Just got my 2G Shuffle in the main today and yes, it's true that they ship with the old style earbuds. Personally, I don't have a problem with this. I have both types of earbuds now and notice no difference in sound quality, and in my ears both feel fine.

As far as the clip is concerned, it is weaker than I'd expected. The clip is fine for walking in a pair of jeans and clipping the shuffle to the pocket, but I really don't think that it would do well with running on a t-shirt or whatever. As I plan to just use it for walking around, this is not a problem for me. Runners, however, should be careful with this 2G Shuffle's clip.

noel4r
Nov 1, 2006, 05:28 PM

This is not good news. I was going to use the Shuffle for running. Looks like I have to wait for the next revision or when they improve the clip.

abeyk
Nov 1, 2006, 05:36 PM
I bought a set of the new earbuds and god I hate them. The old ones sat in your ear and seemed pretty secure there. These new ones just seem to hover about in your ear, never seem very secure. I've reverted back to the old ones, very disappointed really.

Sorry to hear that, but I use them and I like them a lot more than the previous ones. Probably depends on your ear.

jruc4871
Nov 1, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm shocked, just SHOCKED that the new shuffles are shipping with the old earbuds...
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1142/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/product-shuffle.jpg (http://www.vbulletin.com)

jsw
Nov 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
Something tells me that they'll move to the new version once the stock of the old ones has been depleted....

MAcNIAC
Nov 1, 2006, 06:33 PM
This is not good news. I was going to use the Shuffle for running. Looks like I have to wait for the next revision or when they improve the clip.

this could be a HUGE problem for apple. a lot of people attracted to the new shuffle will be joggers, people dropping and scratching their shuffles are going to be very unhappy. if you are going to make an ipod with a clip, why the hell not make it with a clip that is really strong? What would a stronger spring cost an extra 5 cents?

QCassidy352
Nov 1, 2006, 07:59 PM

or clip it to your shorts...

:rolleyes:

backsidetailsli
Nov 1, 2006, 08:00 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2195

new buds

stoid
Nov 1, 2006, 08:12 PM

new buds

those look like old buds to me

ClassicFitness
Nov 1, 2006, 10:00 PM

new buds

It's hard to tell!!!:confused:

WildCowboy
Nov 1, 2006, 10:04 PM
It's hard to tell!!!:confused:

They're the old buds, and it says so in the article.

Trishul
Nov 2, 2006, 05:41 AM
i think ilongue is making too big a deal about the clip, i can't imagine it being any tighter, it seems just right. It so far hasn't been advertised for jogging, unlike the nano (Nike kit, armbands etc.), it seems to be marketed as something you can clip to purses, rucksacks etc.. the photo with the jean jacket is perfectly feasible. I went for a walk last night with it attatched to the coin pocket of my jeans, and then to the zipper on my jacket, at no point did i feel it was going to come off or fall off, which even if it did, it would still hang onto your earphones, cos it's that light, you can even hang it to the cord of your earphones as a makeshift lanyard.

Attatching to somewhere around your hip, like a pocket or waistband seems the perfect place for the shuffle, i really can't see them popping off while running if you choose the right location.

If the clip was any tighter i imagine some people would complain of imprints in their leather bags, damage to clothes, bruised fingertips etc.. etc.. From what i've seen and read of Apple design, something like the strength of the clip would have been a hot topic with much R&D. More so than the strength , the interlocking triangles provide a very secure grip.

worst comes to worst, nothing a rubber band won't help out with.

PseudoWoobie
Nov 2, 2006, 07:53 AM
I read on ilounge that the pic of the shuffle on the jean jacket is misleading, is the clip that weak? :eek:

No I don't think it's that weak. After playing with it for a while it seems much more sturdy than I'd previously thought. Yes, the clip doesn't have much tension, which is a bit suprising at first glance, but I've tried walking it around with it clipped to jeans and a jacket and it never felt like it was going to drop. I still wonder about people running, however, but on iLounge a number of people mentioned that they'd taken it running and had no problems whatsoever. In my opinion, it doesn't seem like Apple designed this device for running in the first place. It is great for just clipping onto a pocket and walking around the city, though. I'm really happy with it.

Hopefully this will dispel some of the nervousness.

dan-o-mac
Nov 2, 2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the reply, it sure did dispel the nervousness. I'm going to pick one up Friday.

No I don't think it's that weak. After playing with it for a while it seems much more sturdy than I'd previously thought. Yes, the clip doesn't have much tension, which is a bit suprising at first glance, but I've tried walking it around with it clipped to jeans and a jacket and it never felt like it was going to drop. I still wonder about people running, however, but on iLounge a number of people mentioned that they'd taken it running and had no problems whatsoever. In my opinion, it doesn't seem like Apple designed this device for running in the first place. It is great for just clipping onto a pocket and walking around the city, though. I'm really happy with it.

Hopefully this will dispel some of the nervousness.

shrimpdesign
Nov 4, 2006, 03:21 AM
Yes, the Shuffle's clip isn't good enough to stay on a shirt while running ... but if it does fall off, that Shuffle won't come unplugged. The headphone port really holds on to your headphones, I tried flinging it around some, it didn't come unplugged.

mojohanna
Nov 4, 2006, 03:56 AM
I just called Apple about my order, and asked if the new Shuffles are being shipped with the old model headphones, and she stated she was not aware of this.

I told her, I have been hearing that the old headphones are being shipped with new Shuffles. She told me if that is true, and I have an issue with that to call Apple when I receive my order and they will take care it...

I bet you when I call back when I receive them, they will say that the order is correct, and the old model headphones are suppose be with the new Shuffle.

I will make them change them out...:)

I am sure you will and I am sure they will accomodate you..............NOT. Did anyone stop to look at the images on Apple's website? They don't show the new shuffle with the new earbuds.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1144/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/product-shuffle.jpg

Should have read the whole thread...........

superbloom
Nov 4, 2006, 11:13 AM
I have the 2G shuffle, and though the clip seems weak, it really isn't. I was suprised at how easy I could pull it off my shorts but I went for a run and the shuffle never came close to falling off. As long as you're not wrestling or something you should be fine.

dan-o-mac
Nov 4, 2006, 06:41 PM
I picked my shuffle up Friday, and the clip holds up quite well. Whoever said it wouldn't clip to a denim jacket was straight up wrong, the first thing I did was clip it to my denim jacket. I love this little thing!

Tom B.
Nov 4, 2006, 06:42 PM
My dad just got a new shuffle and it is amazing.
The clip is easily tight enough for running. To those complaining that it will not hold onto a t-shirt, why clip it where gravity is against it, when you can clip it onto your shorts where gravity is helping to keep it cliped on? Anyway, it will stay on a t-shirt while running, unless you are a sprinter, and your t-shirts do not have seams.

I am sure you will and I am sure they will accomodate you..............NOT.

Should have read the whole thread...........
Maybe if you had read some of the other threads about the new shuffle, you would of realised that most 2G shuffle owners who complained to Apple have already had the included earphones replaced with the new ones for free.

MAcNIAC
Nov 6, 2006, 12:27 AM
To those complaining that it will not hold onto a t-shirt, why clip it where gravity is against it, when you can clip it onto your shorts where gravity is helping to keep it cliped on? Anyway, it will stay on a t-shirt while running, unless you are a sprinter, and your t-shirts do not have seams.

I just got mine, the clip is fine and the thing is smaller than I imagined:D
I'm clipping mine to my Tshirt at the neck, that way gravity isnt pulling against the clip, and it'll be quite secure for running.

What would be nice is shorter headphone cable - with it at my neck I only need about 8" of cable !

Silentwave
Nov 6, 2006, 05:00 PM
Got mine today... also with old earbuds but the clip is very very strong.

weg
Nov 16, 2006, 09:38 AM
As far as the clip is concerned, it is weaker than I'd expected. The clip is fine for walking in a pair of jeans and clipping the shuffle to the pocket, but I really don't think that it would do well with running on a t-shirt or whatever.

Same for me here (just received mine), but the strange thing ist that the clip of the iPod I tried in the Apple Store before ordering mine from Apple online seemed to be much stronger??? Do they have special exhibition models?