PDA

View Full Version : 15gb iPod won't charge via USB...

JaggZ
Nov 1, 2006, 02:57 PM
It won't on my PC through the USB (2.0), but I have a mini that is charging fine, so I know it's not the port...so, any ideas on what it may be? It'll charge fine through the wall outlet, and XP recognizes it and I can see it in iTunes but it won't charge :-(

Thanks in advance...

vi2867
Nov 1, 2006, 03:02 PM
1. Check that your hold switch is off by sliding the switch away from the headphone jack.

2. Press and hold the following combination of buttons buttons simultaneously for approximately 10 seconds to reset the iPod.

* iPod 1G to 3G: "Menu" and "Play/Pause"

JaggZ
Nov 1, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'll give that a shot in a few minutes, it's currently charging via the wall outlet. I did a system restore through iTunes, and made sure it was formatted to windows, so it is a blank iPod.

wwooden
Nov 1, 2006, 03:35 PM
Do you have one of the 15gig 3rd gen iPods? With the 4 buttons at the top? Those could not charge soully through USB, I think they came with a combo cable that had both USB and firewire so that you could sync via USB but get enough power to charge as well from the firewire. If that is the case, you will need to get the combo cable.

JaggZ
Nov 1, 2006, 03:40 PM
Yep, it's one of the old-ones with the four buttons. I have the cable, but I purchased the universal dock. My PC does not have a firewire input so, I guess I'm stuck with charging it on the wall - at least the mini can use the dock :) .