PDA

View Full Version : What is the 6th Generation iPod?

esabourin
Nov 1, 2006, 09:10 PM
People are talking about the 6th generation iPod?!?,, i'm guession it will be relesed to compete with the microsoft zune (UGH) lol, but i'm not sure what this new iPod will have??

Larger Screen? (More of a widescreen)
Built-in Camera?
Replacing the Click Wheel with a "Virtual ClickWheel?" Where there isn't a click wheel but u touch the screen and pretend there is one,, (so u'd make a rotating motion on the screen, and tap the screen in the center or on the edges? ) or something like that??

please help me out! I have no clue what this new iPod is!!!

WildCowboy
Nov 1, 2006, 09:11 PM
Nobody knows.

It's rumored to be the touchscreen iPod, but that's been rumored for quite some time now.

Scarlet Fever
Nov 1, 2006, 09:40 PM
Larger Screen? (More of a widescreen)
Built-in Camera?
Replacing the Click Wheel with a "Virtual ClickWheel?" Where there isn't a click wheel but u touch the screen and pretend there is one,, (so u'd make a rotating motion on the screen, and tap the screen in the center or on the edges? ) or something like that??

they are supposed to look something like these (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Video_iPod_Mockups) mockups.

The bigger screen is almost definite, the camera isn't likely, and the virtual clickwheel is likely.

esabourin
Nov 1, 2006, 10:14 PM
1st G brought 1000 tunes in your pocket
2nd G brought the touch wheel
3rd G brought 5000 tunes in ur pocket
4th G brought the click wheel
4.5th G brought photos
5th G brought video playback
5.5th brought Games!

what will the 6th generation bring,,

ithe macbook and the imacs feature a built in iSight....
so...why not incorporate the iSight into the iPod,
put in a built in camera and video cam, to film short videos of ur friends and family, take pictures,,camera phones became insanely popular, why not incorporate this into the next iPod along with a bigger wide screen, with camera capabilities this 6th generation iPod will surely beat the Zune,

Chundles
Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 PM
1st G brought 1000 tunes in your pocket
2nd G brought the touch wheel
3rd G brought 5000 tunes in ur pocket
4th G brought the click wheel
4.5th G brought photos
5th G brought video playback
5.5th brought Games!

what will the 6th generation bring?,

Scratch and sniff. Smell your music.

BiikeMike
Nov 1, 2006, 11:07 PM

Awesome! I love it!

The Mad Kiwi
Nov 2, 2006, 12:22 AM

Yuck, most people have **** taste in music.

Nermal
Nov 2, 2006, 12:25 AM
My iPod smells like a weird mixture of rocks and bubblegum :confused:

Chundles
Nov 2, 2006, 12:44 AM
Yuck, most people have **** taste in music.

Imagine how bad a brown Zune would smell?

zephead
Nov 2, 2006, 01:12 AM

mmm... Led Zeppelin smells like.. *smells* ..an iPod! :eek:

iMeowbot
Nov 2, 2006, 01:14 AM
Mine smells faintly of Brasso.

MacinJosh
Nov 2, 2006, 06:23 AM

Mmmm... Smells like teen spirit.

Joshua.

Trishul
Nov 2, 2006, 06:45 AM
ithe macbook and the imacs feature a built in iSight....
so...why not incorporate the iSight into the iPod,
put in a built in camera and video cam, to film short videos of ur friends and family, take pictures,,camera phones became insanely popular, why not incorporate this into the next iPod along with a bigger wide screen, with camera capabilities this 6th generation iPod will surely beat the Zune,

i think the design philosophy of ipod and apple in general is simplicity. Camera phones became popular, and they still are, why bother competing with them with some add-on. Most people carrying an ipod will also be carrying a phone, or even an actual camera :) ipods are about music, and now recently video, i myself don't see the benefit of adding a camera, the screen itself is going hit battery life, which is something apple tries to strive on, offering better battery life across their range of mp3 players and laptops over competitors. If what has been rumoured, i.e. a touch sensitive user input and virtual wheel which will highlight before you even touch the screen, then i think that is enough to beat the zune, if it even needed beating that :p i think a more useful addition would be a small built in speaker, how many times have i tried showing a group of people a video on my ipod, for them to ask 'where's the sound?'. I doubt it would ever happen, but even the smallest of speakers for only video playback could be cool.

NeoMac
Nov 2, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yeah, mine smells like I still haven't found what I am looking for. :D

dXTC
Nov 2, 2006, 07:27 AM
i think a more useful addition would be a small built in speaker, how many times have i tried showing a group of people a video on my ipod, for them to ask 'where's the sound?'. I doubt it would ever happen, but even the smallest of speakers for only video playback could be cool.

Samsung's released a player called the K5, which has speakers that slide out from the bottom so others can listen. Very cool, but there are two major caveats:

The speakers nearly double the thickness of the unit.
Using the speakers consumes battery charge like crazy. According to Samsung's specs, without the speakers, there's 30 hours of playing time; with the speakers enabled, only 6. That's an 80% reduction. :eek:

Both of these apparently go against Apple's philosophy, as stated earlier in the thread.

Chundles
Nov 2, 2006, 07:29 AM
Samsung's released a player called the K5, which has speakers that slide out from the bottom so others can listen. Very cool, but there are two major caveats:

The speakers nearly double the thickness of the unit.
Using the speakers consumes battery charge like crazy. According to Samsung's specs, without the speakers, there's 30 hours of playing time; with the speakers enabled, only 6. That's an 80% reduction. :eek:

Both of these apparently go against Apple's philosophy, as stated earlier in the thread.

Three - they sound absolutely awful. Really, really bad.

freebooter
Nov 2, 2006, 09:48 AM

Mine looks like chicken and smells like fish... No, wait...that's my girlfriend's...ipod

zephead
Nov 2, 2006, 10:17 AM
Mmmm... Smells like teen spirit.

Nice. I was waiting for someone to say that. :D

Markleshark
Nov 2, 2006, 11:33 AM
Mine looks like chicken and smells like fish... No, wait...that's my girlfriend's...ipod

Just you wait till she sees that... If she doesn't I'll tell her ;) :p

Quoted for reference, of course.

dwishbone
Nov 2, 2006, 12:35 PM
EarPods...
they link everyone to the same information and directly beams it to your brain. It will eventually lead you to become one of the Cybermen.

but honestly i think the 6G iPod will be the full screen model with the touch sensing borders.

SkyBell
Nov 3, 2006, 08:43 PM
I hope it's not a touchscreen. I HATE having to calibrate those things... Plus, they just seem too flimsy.

The Toon Master
Nov 3, 2006, 09:11 PM
I predict it will be A wider screen, Simlar to the King Kong one on the link, but the click wheel is not virtual like that one, just imagine turning an ipod 90 degrees to the right, but keeping the click wheel Menu up. Also, I hope this is guarneteed, a 2nd place to plug in headphones.