PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro - Cubase and Logic Pro

ArSoX
Nov 2, 2006, 05:25 AM
Hey ppl, i'm hoping to get some help here with u guys!

I'm thinking to buy a MacBook Pro, but the true is that i dont need it for know, but i'm getting anscious with that.

In my macbook pro i will use Cubase and Logic Pro, and my question is if i should wait until Santa Rosa released or buy the new C2D. Because i think that it will be a huge upgrade with Santa Rosa chipset.

And dont forget, i will just have the money for the laptop in January, so the rumor is that i will just need to wail more 4mounths for the Santa Rosa.

What do u think?

4np
Nov 2, 2006, 05:37 AM
Yeah, I have decided to wait a little while longer for Santa Rosa and Leopard as well. I would also like a GPU upgrade; the x1600 is positioned as a 'mid class gpu' by ATI and I would like a more pro GPU in a pro laptop as well... For the rest; brilliant machines :) But I'll hang on to my PowerBook G4 for a little while longer ;)

Some people may say 'why would you need a better GPU'? Well, because I want to be able to play games in bootcamp as well (so I can kick out my desktop pc which I currently only use for that purpose). Next I want a new MacBook Pro to be 'future proof' for some time. For example: UT2007 would require a better (nvidia?) GPU in order to allow the best features... With an ATI X1600 I don't think it's very much 'future proof'...

Killyp
Nov 2, 2006, 12:19 PM
Remember you'll have to use Cubase 4, not Cubase SX 3 or whatever. Only version 4 (they aren't doing SX, SE etc... any more) will work on an Intel Mac...

theblotted
Nov 15, 2006, 04:59 PM
if you don't need it right away, just wait until you need it. this way you'll have the most powerful laptop for the time.

also remember to save enough dough for softwares (Logic, Cubase, etc.)

jonutarr
Nov 15, 2006, 06:32 PM
Why wait? a MBP C2D will most likely do everything you need

what do you want to do with your DAW?

Maxiseller
Nov 16, 2006, 06:53 PM
Also, I'm not sure if you've read any information on the new Cubase, but apparently there are quite a few teething problems with it.

Out of interest though, why run logic and cubase side by side? What are the advantages for you?

scottlinux
Nov 16, 2006, 08:26 PM
Santa Rosa will fully support 4GB or ram. And has twice the L2 cache, 800Mhz FSB.

They could include the NAND flash memory to make boot times almost instant.

Though putting two-2GB ram sticks in a laptop is pretty damn expensive.

I think April 2007 is the time line for Santa Rosa. (Though these forecasts change frequently.) So a bit of a wait.

wmmk
Nov 17, 2006, 04:11 PM
Also, I'm not sure if you've read any information on the new Cubase, but apparently there are quite a few teething problems with it.

Out of interest though, why run logic and cubase side by side? What are the advantages for you?

yeah. i'm on cubase now, and it sucks. cubase 4 it still like a FUGly windows app, it's just universal. logic express is zillions times better, and it's upgradeable to logic pro, which is compatible with the apogee ensemble, the 2nd best audio hardware available (behind digi's HD/ICON stuff).

theblotted
Nov 17, 2006, 06:00 PM
yeah. i'm on cubase now, and it sucks. cubase 4 it still like a FUGly windows app, it's just universal. logic express is zillions times better, and it's upgradeable to logic pro, which is compatible with the apogee ensemble, the 2nd best audio hardware available (behind digi's HD/ICON stuff).

i agree with everything above... except the apogee and Digi comment.

then again, music is so subjective. as are interfaces.

i would say tho, that having used both Cubase and Logic; Cubase is very intuitive to learn, whereas Logic's got a huge learning curve. i picked up how to use Cubase without ever touching the manual. Logic i scratched my head for about a month.

now i use Logic Pro 90% of time (along with PT and DP), since the workflow is second to none, and the idea of having at least 3 workarounds mean i can always achieve what i need to do. ymmv.

quigleybc
Nov 18, 2006, 12:45 AM
Ableton Live

The goods

theblotted
Nov 18, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ableton Live

The goods

IME, Live is only good for live situations (no pun), because the sound quality is not as pristine compared to other DAWs. for studio recordings, Live falls short, despite of its convenience in arranging songs.

using Rewire will help, but that means you still gotta use a host DAW like Logic or Cubase.

connorhays
Nov 22, 2006, 11:50 PM
Live

Edge100
Nov 30, 2006, 03:47 PM
IME, Live is only good for live situations (no pun), because the sound quality is not as pristine compared to other DAWs. for studio recordings, Live falls short, despite of its convenience in arranging songs.

using Rewire will help, but that means you still gotta use a host DAW like Logic or Cubase.

Oh boy....

Live's mix engine is just as good as that in any other DAW. The problem with people's mixes done in Live is that they use Live's Warp Engine to manipulate timing and pitch, and then expect things to come out crystal clear. If you use Live like a regular DAW, the sound is exactly the same. This has been PROVEN over at the Ableton forums. Mixes done in Live cancel out completely with mixes done in Cubase when the phase is reversed. This is the mark of identical mixes (i.e. 180 out of phase = total cancellation).

Live is a great songwriting and performance tool. I wouldn't use it as my daily DAW (I use Logic) because it's lacking on some automation and editing features, but a lot of people do use it as their olny DAW (I use it as a writing tool).

theblotted
Dec 7, 2006, 05:51 PM
Oh boy....

Live's mix engine is just as good as that in any other DAW. The problem with people's mixes done in Live is that they use Live's Warp Engine to manipulate timing and pitch, and then expect things to come out crystal clear. If you use Live like a regular DAW, the sound is exactly the same. This has been PROVEN over at the Ableton forums. Mixes done in Live cancel out completely with mixes done in Cubase when the phase is reversed. This is the mark of identical mixes (i.e. 180 out of phase = total cancellation).

Live is a great songwriting and performance tool. I wouldn't use it as my daily DAW (I use Logic) because it's lacking on some automation and editing features, but a lot of people do use it as their olny DAW (I use it as a writing tool).

i guess i missed out on the proven identical mixes over @ Ableton Forums.

so... what's the point of using Live if you don't use its Warp Engine or automation/editing features?

i suppose subjective preference is the main answer here. btw, i do use Live occasionally for that "Warp Engine" (ease of use compared to others).

CHMC
Dec 8, 2006, 02:34 PM
If you are not a pro: Anything DIGITAL PERFORMER! Delivers the best bang for the buck, and is the only program that close to ProTools. It rocks!

CHMC

zimv20
Dec 8, 2006, 02:39 PM
If you are not a pro: Anything DIGITAL PERFORMER!
there are pro's who use DP. maybe i didn't understand your comment.

CHMC
Dec 12, 2006, 11:16 AM
I See what you mean; I wasn't that clear! I meant to say that DP has the best bang for the buck, when compared to other systems. For an amateur, you'll probably be getting ProTools LE, which is severely crippled compared to HD. Also, Logic Express won't let you do stuff DP let's you. So, that's why; If you're not a pro, your best deal will be to get DP. Not that pro's dont use DP; i'm a pro myself and use DP extensively!

Lars