Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
I haven't used Acrobat since I got my first Mac about 9 months ago. I just use Preview. Why would you bother to get Acrobat? (not sarcastic, but an honest question).

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Acrobat certainly has more powerful tools for manipulating PDFs than Preview does. For viewing PDFs, I simply use Preview, but significant text-editing, page formatting (rotating pages, inserting pages, etc.) is most easily done by firing up Acrobat.

digitaldean

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Acrobat certainly has more powerful tools for manipulating PDFs than Preview does. For viewing PDFs, I simply use Preview, but significant text-editing, page formatting (rotating pages, inserting pages, etc.) is most easily done by firing up Acrobat.

The new features do sound great. But the more robust forms features are still only in the Windows versions.....

Suppose I will have to wait and get my MBP/Win XP/Parallels and buy it.

vectormasked

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Somewhere in Canada
I haven't used Acrobat since I got my first Mac about 9 months ago. I just use Preview. Why would you bother to get Acrobat? (not sarcastic, but an honest question).

Well it might be useless for you to get acrobat...

but to us designers and people that require to open and edit documents all day long we only have Acrobat as a choice. We are used to it, we like it, it has other software does not have, etc.... Creating a document is not as simple as just creating it. With acrobat we have tons of options and tools that we NEED in order to get what we want or what's required, and you don't have those options in preview.
This is like comparing "Windows Picture and Fax viewer" with photoshop.

operator

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Canada
You're a designer, and you use Acrobat to create PDF's?

I'm also a designer who "opens and edits documents all day long" and I prefer using inDesign and/or Illustrator when creating pdf's. Out of curiousity, does Acrobat allow you to control the resolution of images when creating/saving pdf's?

Well it might be useless for you to get acrobat...

but to us designers and people that require to open and edit documents all day long we only have Acrobat as a choice. We are used to it, we like it, it has other software does not have, etc.... Creating a document is not as simple as just creating it. With acrobat we have tons of options and tools that we NEED in order to get what we want or what's required, and you don't have those options in preview.
This is like comparing "Windows Picture and Fax viewer" with photoshop.

vectormasked

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2006
Somewhere in Canada
You're a designer, and you use Acrobat to create PDF's?

I'm also a designer who "opens and edits documents all day long" and I prefer using inDesign and/or Illustrator when creating pdf's. Out of curiousity, does Acrobat allow you to control the resolution of images when creating/saving pdf's?

you know what I mean.

I was sort of talking about the whole pdf thing. Pdfs, acrobat reader, disitiller............maybe it was a bit too much.

But anyway Acrobat (the reader) is still a better choice when opening pdfs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.