PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook goes to sleep randomly

Cougarcat
Nov 2, 2006, 03:00 PM
So my powerbook has decided to go to sleep randomly. It happens whenever the fans come on. Looked in the logs and it says "Power Management received emergency overtemp signal. Going to sleep." Looking at the temperature readings via Temperature Monitor, the trackpad is experiencing HUGE temp. spikes. I think my temperature sensor is bad.

Unfortunately I don't have Applecare. My logic board has died twice already, once last december and once in may; my video died in June. Perhaps if I complained long enough they'd be sympathetic. Anyone have suggestions?

This is the last Apple laptop I get without Applecare.

mad jew
Nov 2, 2006, 05:54 PM
Sorry, there's not much help I can give other than to say it'll need to be checked out by a technician. :o

Good luck and hopefully they won't charge you much. :)

rstorm
Nov 2, 2006, 06:15 PM
Have tech check it out and next time get AppleCare!

Cougarcat
Nov 2, 2006, 06:35 PM
Well the situation has gone from bad to worse. Now it won't start up at all. I put it to sleep, went back to my dorm room, and it won't come back up. The sleep light is still on, despite repeated bashings of the power button. Tried removing the battery. No go. I'm going to take it to the hardware guy on my school campus and see what he says before calling Apple.

Thank heavens I got a 250 GB Lacie drive just last week and have most of my data backed up.

2nyRiggz
Nov 2, 2006, 06:46 PM
Take it in and pay the bill since you don't have applecare...good luck.

Bless

Cougarcat
Nov 2, 2006, 11:50 PM
So I leave my powerbook in its weird frozen sleep state for 5 hours, come back, and it's working just fine. Moving some more stuff over to my Hard Drive, fans are blazing, and nothing's happening...I don't understand it. :confused:

Still calling Apple, though.