PDA

View Full Version : Easy spell-checking with Firefox 2

Nermal
Nov 2, 2006, 11:16 PM
*Yawn*

I can't get terribly impressed by a feature that's been in Safari since 2003.

iMeowbot
Nov 2, 2006, 11:30 PM
It would be a lot more interesting if at least the systemwide spell check was plumbed in.

bousozoku
Nov 2, 2006, 11:31 PM
This is great, the posts are going backward in time.

Firefox does a pretty good job but since you have to add dictionaries to support other languages, aren't the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand somewhat handicapped again?

spicyapple
Nov 2, 2006, 11:33 PM
"Look up in Dictionary" - Command+Control+D - still doesn't work in Firefox 2. One of the "must-have" essential features I cannot live without in Safari, but at least FF's bookmarks and general stability have been improved over the previous version.

macsupport
Nov 3, 2006, 12:03 AM
*Yawn*

Yes, but Safari has to be the worst browser to use when working in the WordPress admin. Firefox has always been my browser of choice for blogging, so this feature was a very welcome addition.

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2006, 12:09 AM
"Look up in Dictionary" - Command+Control+D - still doesn't work in Firefox 2. One of the "must-have" essential features I cannot live without in Safari, but at least FF's bookmarks and general stability have been improved over the previous version.

I'm betting that there is already a dictionary extension for Firefox that works just fine.

superleccy
Nov 3, 2006, 08:42 AM
*Yawn*

Am confuzed. Saffari can allreddy do spel-checkign?

Seriously... how do I enable it?

SL

superleccy
Nov 3, 2006, 08:46 AM
Am confuzed. Saffari can allreddy do spel-checkign?

Seriously... how do I enable it?

SL

Edit > Spelling > Check Spelling as you type.

SL

MacBytes
Nov 3, 2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Easy spell-checking with Firefox 2 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061103114003)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
Nov 3, 2006, 11:47 AM

That has to do with Carbon vs Cocoa probably. The reason firefox doesn't use OSX's spellchecking is the same reason it doesn't support the CMD-CTRL-D thing.

Not sure why Firefox is carbon. Perhaps there's a OS9 version out there, but I can't be bothered to look it up.

What the heck is up with the strange post order and all the macrumors-esque avatars?

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
That has to do with Carbon vs Cocoa probably. The reason firefox doesn't use OSX's spellchecking is the same reason it doesn't support the CMD-CTRL-D thing.

Not sure why Firefox is carbon. Perhaps there's a OS9 version out there, but I can't be bothered to look it up.

What the heck is up with the strange post order and all the macrumors-esque avatars?

Carbon can take advantage of services as well. However, Firefox is a multiple platform product and doesn't take advantage of most anything that would bind it particularly to any operating system to allow changes to fit all platforms equally. Besides, you can't easily wrap C++ around Cocoa since it's bound to Objective-C and Objective-C, while available, isn't really conducive to platforms other than Mac OS X.

mainstreetmark
Nov 3, 2006, 04:37 PM
Carbon can take advantage of services as well. However, Firefox is a multiple platform product and doesn't take advantage of most anything that would bind it particularly to any operating system to allow changes to fit all platforms equally. Besides, you can't easily wrap C++ around Cocoa since it's bound to Objective-C and Objective-C, while available, isn't really conducive to platforms other than Mac OS X.

Seems like that is easily solved with clever use of #defines which they certainly must have plenty of os-specific branches anyways, for handling things like pref files and temp file pathnames. Why not:

#if_def OSX
enable_the_neat_stuff_like_dictionary_and_spelling();
#end_if

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2006, 05:33 PM
Seems like that is easily solved with clever use of #defines which they certainly must have plenty of os-specific branches anyways, for handling things like pref files and temp file pathnames. Why not:

#if_def OSX
enable_the_neat_stuff_like_dictionary_and_spelling();
#end_if

You've obviously worked on a lot of multiple platform software. That must be how you've so easily solved the issue.

RacerX
Nov 3, 2006, 11:10 PM
*Yawn*

I can't get terribly impressed by a feature that's been in Safari since 2003.Triple- *Yawn*

Or a feature that has been part of OmniWeb since the mid 1990's. :eek:

mad jew
Nov 3, 2006, 11:13 PM
Using Firefox is so 2004.

jessep28
Nov 4, 2006, 12:07 AM
I use it just for school e-mail...that's it

IBM doesn't want to support Safari on their web based Lotus Notes client, so I guess they make Mac users endure the pain of putting two browsers on their computer.