PDA

View Full Version : Screen Quality, Powerbook 15" VS Macbook Pro 15/17"

zimtheinvader
Nov 3, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hi,
Is it true that the Powerbook 15" have a better viewing angle/screen quality for photowork than a new Macbook Pro 15/17"? Does the 17" MBP have a better screen than the 15"?

I ask because I am upgrading from my 1.33 PB 12" and the limited viewing angle for the screen has driven me nuts ever since I got it!!!! (always having to readjust.... hence part of the reason for upgrading). I know the new MBP's have brighter/higher res, but what about the quality of the screen (best screen I've ever seen=PB G4 800 15" back in the day....)

I am thinking of picking up a 15" G4 Refurb from Apple now, then a CD2 iMac/Macmini later if I need the speed boost.

Please advise, thanks!

Poff
Nov 3, 2006, 03:31 AM
I don't know what differences there are between the Macbook Pro screens and Powerbook G4 screens, but I do know that the 12"PBG4 had a worser screen than the other powerbooks. (It was the exact same screen they put in the 12" iBook.) So the screens on the 15" and 17" powerbooks pwned the 12" version.

chaslam
Nov 3, 2006, 02:26 PM
It depends what revision of the PB you have if I am correct. The newer Rev PBs have great screens, like on MBPs, but the older rev PBs have worse screens.

PDE
Nov 3, 2006, 02:34 PM
I've had all the recent powerbooks and the macbook pro/macbook and my impression was that although the macbook pro had a brighter display, the viewing angle was quite inferior to the powerbook 15" that was released before the last powerbook revision. The last revision had a similar brightness filter on it and tht affects viewing angles. I personally don't like the MBP display because of this, coupled with the fact that the display itself is not very adjustable backward which means that it's not easy to get it right. Also, moving your head just a few inches to the side changes the color and brightness on the opposite side.

Having said that, at a very limited position, the displays are very nice. You just have to sit still!

joanna94
Nov 3, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi,
Is it true that the Powerbook 15" have a better viewing angle/screen quality for photowork than a new Macbook Pro 15/17"? Does the 17" MBP have a better screen than the 15"?

I ask because I am upgrading from my 1.33 PB 12" and the limited viewing angle for the screen has driven me nuts ever since I got it!!!! (always having to readjust.... hence part of the reason for upgrading). I know the new MBP's have brighter/higher res, but what about the quality of the screen (best screen I've ever seen=PB G4 800 15" back in the day....)

I am thinking of picking up a 15" G4 Refurb from Apple now, then a CD2 iMac/Macmini later if I need the speed boost.

Please advise, thanks!
The last batch of pb's had the higher resolution screens in 15 and 17" - and I was considering a refurb 15" pb but have opted for a 15" an apple refurb MPB which has an excellent, bright screen and cost the same as the refurb powerbooks. Seemed to make more sense to go with the MBP. Very pleased with it so far.

Chrispy
Nov 3, 2006, 02:40 PM
My C2D MBP display is considerably darker on the right side than the left... not sure what that is about.

tekmoe
Nov 3, 2006, 02:57 PM
My C2D MBP display is considerably darker on the right side than the left... not sure what that is about.

my merom mbp has a slightly darker right side...not considerably, only slightly. :o