PDA

View Full Version : Nov. 14th (Zune-day) is a Tuesday...

macpackrat
Nov 3, 2006, 12:11 PM
i'm sure others have speculated about this so far, but i see it coming. call me crazy, but i don't believe christmas 2006 will pass without a REAL new (widescreen) iPod. what better day than Zune-day. it would be total chaos.

Warbrain
Nov 3, 2006, 12:28 PM
i'm sure others have speculated about this so far, but i see it coming. call me crazy, but i don't believe christmas 2006 will pass without a REAL new (widescreen) iPod. what better day than Zune-day. it would be total chaos.

Not like the Zune is going to recieve any press anyway. Microsoft isn't as trendy and popular as Apple in the media.

nitynate
Nov 3, 2006, 05:22 PM
I know people at school who know NOTHING about anything technology and they talk about that "fat ugly zune thing" Microsoft is releasing and they are like "brown? wtf"

Mind you, these are kids who don't know how to make a new account on XP.

They know how to plug in their iPod and press update.

They dont want to waste time with WMP.

Sesshi
Nov 3, 2006, 05:26 PM
They know how to plug in their iPod and press update.

They dont want to waste time with WMP.

Hmmm... Plugging in Zune and pressing update is harder than plugging in iPod and pressing update?

nitynate
Nov 3, 2006, 05:29 PM
Hmmm... Plugging in Zune and pressing update is harder than plugging in iPod and pressing update?
Have you ever tried to use Windows Media Player?

It is hell.
ID3 tags are next to impossible to edit, no iTunes store, slow, clunky, no streamlined auto update just a dumb one with a bunch of error messages.

Sesshi
Nov 3, 2006, 05:37 PM

It is hell.
ID3 tags are next to impossible to edit, no iTunes store, slow, clunky, no streamlined auto update just a dumb one with a bunch of error messages.

Yes, I use WMP11 often. Have you dabbled with it more than once?

It's a funny thing but those points aren't what I would point out as flaws in WMP, especially given the now hugely overweight nature of iTunes.

nitynate
Nov 3, 2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, I have only used WMP 9 and 10.
Is 11 much better? Pros and cons?

I agree with you, iTunes 7 is almost as clunky as Real Player.

If I were not forced to use 7 with my 2G nano I would switch back to 6 instantly.

balamw
Nov 3, 2006, 05:45 PM
FWIW Zune doesn't use WMP (at least not directly) and has its own app.

B

nitynate
Nov 3, 2006, 05:47 PM
FWIW Zune doesn't use WMP (at least not directly) and has its own app.

B

Oh really?

I need to be more educated on this kind of stuff before I post. :p

feelthefire
Nov 3, 2006, 06:32 PM
And WMP11 is completely different from previous releases. it's also still a beta since it's designed to go with vista and is way more streamlined and graphically pleasing.

Also I've never had a problem loading an MP3 player with it. Some of us remember the days of trying to encode and load MP3s with Real Jukebox...of course, that's back when having 128mb of memory was a big deal, and having a screen was absolutely top notch. Compared to that, WMP anything was a dream to operate.

nitynate
Nov 3, 2006, 06:33 PM
And WMP11 is completely different from previous releases. it's also still a beta since it's designed to go with vista and is way more streamlined and graphically pleasing.

Also I've never had a problem loading an MP3 player with it. Some of us remember the days of trying to encode and load MP3s with Real Jukebox...of course, that's back when having 128mb of memory was a big deal, and having a screen was absolutely top notch. Compared to that, WMP anything was a dream to operate.

Real Jukebox.... Ahh.... Those were the days. I paid $20 so I could RIP at "CD quality" (my arse) 128kbps.

Sesshi
Nov 3, 2006, 06:54 PM
I quite liked the paid-for version of Real's management software back in those days. Things have changed.

Although iPod/iTunes integration still reigns, Apple aren't doing themselves any favours by the very slow upgrade of audio features. WMP / Zune's catching up in terms of ease of sync/management. Heck, even Sony are kind of floating around the periphery right now and they were a complete joke just 3 years ago.

milo
Nov 4, 2006, 08:09 AM

It is if you have to switch all your songs and all your playlists to a different app, one that may not be as slick as iTunes.

archurban
Nov 4, 2006, 08:29 AM
MS makes us surprise, too. Zune won't be avialable for international until 2008. what a waste! actually they don't have any active firm out of US. so even they have music store so called 'market place', how they promote piece of **** for international? it is not 2001 that ipod was the first introduced. it's 2006, everything should be going forward smoothly if MS seriously consider as ipod killer company. they already prepare for accessories when you go to zune.net. but they just missed what's important. they will fail. I am sure. who said MS is genius in the business? money is everthing? NO.

feelthefire
Nov 4, 2006, 02:59 PM
Real Jukebox.... Ahh.... Those were the days. I paid $20 so I could RIP at "CD quality" (my arse) 128kbps.

I still have some songs on my computer that were ripped at an astounding 32kbps. I may even have a very small few at 16kbps.

Those of you whose experience is mostly with iTunes...count your blessings.

Eraserhead
Nov 4, 2006, 03:33 PM
MS makes us surprise, too. Zune won't be avialable for international until 2008. what a waste! actually they don't have any active firm out of US. so even they have music store so called 'market place', how they promote piece of **** for international? it is not 2001 that ipod was the first introduced. it's 2006, everything should be going forward smoothly if MS seriously consider as ipod killer company. they already prepare for accessories when you go to zune.net. but they just missed what's important. they will fail. I am sure. who said MS is genius in the business? money is everthing? NO.

Which is damn stupid as they won't get the same scale as Apple sticking only to the US. I don't think MS think the initial player will succeed.

Chris Bangle
Nov 4, 2006, 04:25 PM
Firstly, I read Gizmodo's review of the zune and was quite impressed. Its not as crap as i first thought it was... BUT Apple could launch the widescreen ipod in August in the UK and it will probably still be out before zune,ps3 and any oother new gadget the US and Japan will get.
But I would love a widecree ipod on the 14th but almost every tuesday since the fun products event in febraury ive been hoping for it and it hasnt come out yet.