Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 17, 2003
UK
This poor, poor guy...

Apparently he opened his powerbook after the latch got jammed and the screen...well it hurts to say it :(

powerbok.jpg

His whole story is here:
http://macnet2.com/more.php?id=322_0_1_0_M

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Its obviously beecause he had too many things in his dock, that cracks the screen these days :)

Also he may want to consider a lawsuit against Konfabulator, maybe he accidentaly downloaded the broken screen widget...

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
Los Angeles
I saw this the other day and it got me a little nervous.
Let's just say that I'm opening my screen a little more carefully these days.

Chad4Mac

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
too bad its not covered under warranty and a scren is over a thousand dollars.

iJon

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Between you and me, his story seems a bit fishy.

Me thinks it's another case of "if I spread my story all over the net, it's got to be true" ...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by morlium

Me thinks it's another case of "if I spread my story all over the net, it's got to be true" ...
really nothing too fishy about it, his screen got cracked and apple doenst pay for stuff like that, basically he is s*** out of luck unless he wants it fixed.

iJon

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
If you read the posts on his site, then you would see that his cc company said that they would cover it.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Vector
If you read the posts on his site, then you would see that his cc company said that they would cover it.
oh ok, i didnt know there was a story on it.

iJon

iDork

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2003
OC/California
Originally posted by morlium

My perspective is perhaps he dropped the PB or something dropped on it while the lid was closed. Blaming it on the latch to leave him out of personal fault.

But who knows. Maybe his latch caused it to crack. :rolleyes:

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
trashé, apple... i wonder if he got applecare. i can't believe they just called him a liar like that, just because it's a big repair. apple could have blamed me for my power supply going bad and said it was because i used it unusually or something and broke it. but it only cost them a 70$ replacement to be rid of the problem. this one is just as ambiguous, just as deserving of warranty coverage, IMO.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Shadowfax
trashé, apple... i wonder if he got applecare. i can't believe they just called him a liar like that, just because it's a big repair. apple could have blamed me for my power supply going bad and said it was because i used it unusually or something and broke it. but it only cost them a 70$ replacement to be rid of the problem. this one is just as ambiguous, just as deserving of warranty coverage, IMO.
well a powersupply can just stop working, it just doesnt charge anymore. chances are its not your fault. a screen just doesnt crack, it is user abuse, just like spilling dr pepper in your keyboard. companies cant give away parts every time. applecare is very good, screen goes bad, logic board goes bad, dvd burner goes bad, but screen cracking is not covered. he should have been more careful, i dont think this is a common problem because i havent seen anyone else with a broken 17inch screen on talked to somebody with one.

iJon

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I have serious doubts about this. The crack originated at the hinge (the big black crack at the bottom). The only way this could've happened is if he was prying at the screen because it was stuck. Even more likely, the reason the latch was stuck was because something had happened while it was closed (something heavy fell and nobody told him) causing the glass to break and press against the computer body putting stress on the latch preventing it from opening.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by iJon
well a powersupply can just stop working, it just doesnt charge anymore. chances are its not your fault. a screen just doesnt crack, it is user abuse, just like spilling dr pepper in your keyboard. companies cant give away parts every time. applecare is very good, screen goes bad, logic board goes bad, dvd burner goes bad, but screen cracking is not covered. he should have been more careful, i dont think this is a common problem because i havent seen anyone else with a broken 17inch screen on talked to somebody with one.

iJon
perhaps, but they shouldn't have unequivocally told him it was his fault. it's still plenty possible that there was an odd error with his laptop; it is, after all, the first, apple laptop of it's class, and the biggest LCD in a mobile ever. this can't be denied and deserves more than just a blow off.

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
It almost looks like he held it so the apple was right side up and tried to open it. Of corse, that would mean he opened the wrong side. And trying to open it by the hinges could make it seem Jammed ;)

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Personally, I think the guy shut a small object inside the powerbook. That is why his screen is cracked and the latch would not open.

chrisfx811

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
louisville
every time i go to compusa to talk myself into buying a mac laptop, the salesperson always tells me that if i buy their extended warranty that things like this are covered. however , when i read the fine print it says exactly the opposite. when i show them this, i always hear: "trust me, everything is covered".
i wonder how many people buy this ****e, only to find out it's untrue. after all, it wouldn't be a warranty, it would be insurance.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by chrisfx811
every time i go to compusa to talk myself into buying a mac laptop, the salesperson always tells me that if i buy their extended warranty that things like this are covered. however , when i read the fine print it says exactly the opposite. when i show them this, i always hear: "trust me, everything is covered".
i wonder how many people buy this ****e, only to find out it's untrue. after all, it wouldn't be a warranty, it would be insurance.
if anyone is dumb enough to believe that dropping their laptop or cracking the screen is covered they deserve to be fooled.

iJon

chrisfx811

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
louisville
i agree...
however sometimes there are less than savvy people out there, and when i hear the sales people giving this schpiel i think it is unfair. for someone who knows little to nothing about computers it can be very convincing. especially when you consider the price on these extended warranties. it's easy to say people should not be that stupid, but these sales people should be accountable as well.
sorry for getting off topic too much

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
I believe the guy. And I would dispute the credit charge and leave Apple hanging if they were to do me like that.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
if anyone is dumb enough to believe that dropping their laptop or cracking the screen is covered they deserve to be fooled.

iJon

when i got my albook the guy at the apple store told me that if i got applecare and if i dropped it it would be covered so y would i not believe him. thats not being fooled thats just being lied to.

alexlai5050

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2003
May i ask why dosent everyone just get insurance its about the same price as apple care and you have evrything covered

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by rideahyperLite
when i got my albook the guy at the apple store told me that if i got applecare and if i dropped it it would be covered so y would i not believe him. thats not being fooled thats just being lied to.
yes you were lied too. i guess i just feel its common sense. its like driving your car into a wall and having the dealership pay for it saying it was their fault.

iJon

Philinator

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2003
Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
yes you were lied too. i guess i just feel its common sense. its like driving your car into a wall and having the dealership pay for it saying it was their fault.

iJon

Actually iJon, He says he was told by an Apple sales monkey that screen breakage would be covered...so that would be like the car salesman telling you that the dealership would pay for it if you drove your car into a wall...IF you had their special extended warranty. If you were told that, you would of course have to get it in writing, but the point is, the sales staff has an obligation to know their product. If I were told that AppleCare covered screen breakage, I would take it at face value also. After all, I just paid $300+ for special extended coverage. It would make sense to me that my screen would be covered if I were told that by the salesman, because it's extra coverage. I'm not saying Apple is obligated because the sales guy was an idiot. The consumer has to check the writing before signing.

Regards,
Philinator

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
i would have to agree with Phillnator...people get duped into paying for applecare thinking it is an "insurance policy" its not really. and when they blatantly lie about coverage, i think that is reprehensible.

as for his story being fake, one day i opened my TiBook in a normal manner and pop...the lower left corner of my screen casing had popped open along the seem. I didnt do anything to it, just opened it like normal. The torque of opening and closing it apparently puts stress on those lower corners as was evidences by my opening and closing it with the screen casing popped open and watching the screen casing move apart.

Either way, apple fixed it and didnt charge me, though they gave it back to me at the apple store, gave me attitude because i pointed out they had scratched my computer (only 1 month old at the time) and told me it really shouldnt have been covered anyway! if apples little BS "insurance policy" (applecare) doesnt even include cheap defective plastic snaps breaking, what the he!! is it good for?

i have no doubt that what happened to this guys computer is possible...though not common. I also believe applecare is crap, i just have my computer covered by my insurance.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
I believe this story, I spent ages reading all the posts underneath it, and it does seem that he could be telling the truth. THink about, the extra torque given to you by the size of the screen could cause a lot of pressure at the hinge end, and hten there was that report of the first few machines being too weak, hence all the delays, he has had his for 21 days so it could be one of the first batch, there was a link to a leaked document regardin ghaving to stop production of the 17" because things liek this were happening with too little force cos the backing wasn't stiff enough.

THis is frontier technology, things like this could happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.