PDA

View Full Version : PC to Mac - one minute works, the doesn't

wtotay
Nov 3, 2006, 08:06 PM
I have an old ipod with dock and I just got a new mac. The ipod used Windows, until this past month and worked fine. Then I bought an album off ITunes with my new Mac, copied the files to my iPod, disconnected and it was fine. Listened to my album at work...perfect.

Last night, docked my iPod, listen to the album (my boyfriend wanted to hear the album and it wasn't on his User account.) Disconnect - all good. Today, I go to listen to the album, it just fast fowards through all the songs. Come home in a panic, redock the iPod, it's fine, disconnect and still can't play.

What is going on? I've been reading about "restoring" and the ipod asking about formatting, but it never did. ANY thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated.

monke
Nov 3, 2006, 08:12 PM
I would try either Reseting it or Restoring it. Try here for more help: Link (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/) :)

wtotay
Nov 3, 2006, 08:26 PM
I resetted and it didn't work. The song play fine when I listen to them off my iPod through iTunes...I really don't want to reformat...

Chundles
Nov 3, 2006, 08:30 PM
Have you tried deleting the album off your iPod and copying it back over?

wtotay
Nov 3, 2006, 08:33 PM
Yup - I deleted the album, then re-added. then just the songs...nothing works. I still am confused as to the fact that it plays when it's docked, but once it's removed - big problems!

wtotay
Nov 3, 2006, 08:45 PM
OK - so I just checked my settings and my iPod is "Windows" format. Could that mean anything now that I'm using a Mac?

Chundles
Nov 3, 2006, 08:48 PM
No, your Mac can work fine with Windows formatted iPods. Not the other way around though, Windows can't work with Mac formatted iPods.

Have you tried a different album? Just to see that the iPod is working properly? Delete the offending album off the iPod, add a different album then put the weird one back on - you might have a bad spot on your HDD and this could copy it to a different spot.

wtotay
Nov 3, 2006, 08:55 PM
is it normal for the file to be: MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected)?

Mernak
Nov 3, 2006, 10:46 PM
is it normal for the file to be: MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected)?

Yeah, anything purchased off of the iTunes Music store is that type.
This has happened to my iPod sometimes, I just fix it by restoring the iPod or by syncing it so that the purchased music is not copied to the ipod, then recopy it back on.