PDA

View Full Version : Mini or Nano?

SkyBell
Nov 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
Would you like Apple to keep the Nano, or bring back the Mini?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to tell why I voted yes. :)

I just LOVE the mini. Its size is perfect. I don't understand what the deal is about the hard drives. Seems to me that they would only cause a problem if you dropped the iPod or something. I'm also a retro chick, so I love the greyscale LCD. Just seems so right.

ozontheroad
Nov 3, 2006, 08:23 PM
Would you like Apple to keep the Nano, or bring back the Mini?

they should bring back the Mini and the Cube.... not really

Nano all the way.

mad jew
Nov 3, 2006, 08:23 PM
The nano uses Flash so it's a no-brainer for me. Hard drives + MP3 players are like vomiting babies + plush carpet. They should never have been combined.

monke
Nov 3, 2006, 08:24 PM
The Mini's were nice, 1st Gen Nano's were ok, but now the Nano's are amazing. They look incredible and are insanely small, the only bad thing is they feel like they could be broken in between two fingers. :o

ozontheroad
Nov 3, 2006, 08:28 PM
The nano uses Flash so it's a no-brainer for me. Hard drives + MP3 players are like vomiting babies + plush carpet. They should never have been combined.

my sentiments exactly

tech4all
Nov 3, 2006, 08:57 PM
Well if you think about it there's not that much of a difference between the current Nano and the iPod mini:

Both made of same material.
Both have similar form factor, Nano is thinner and a little smaller.
Nano has color screen and flash memory.

With that considered, there isn't that much of a difference. Color vs. b/w screen? I guess that's up to the person. :)

MegaSignal
Nov 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
Precisely.

I got so disgusted with a 30GB 5G iPod that I promptly dispatched it physically - the CONSTANT waiting for the HDD to spool up was a real pain! OMG!

I now have a 2G Nano - total bliss. Best of all, it doesn't have problems with podcasting, as the HDD-based units do!

I have two Minis (brand new - in the box) that I'll be giving to my kids this season (I can't use them). Why? Sluggish scroll wheels! Once again, when I need to scroll and play music, the last thing I want to do is flib/fuddle with spooling HDDs or sluggish scroll wheels.

Get the 2G Nano. I'm most satisfied.

(Just my opinion)

WildCowboy
Nov 3, 2006, 09:06 PM
What capacities are the microdrives up to these days? I know Seagate announced a 12 GB model early this year to be released late this year, but I haven't seen anything about it recently.

Flash has come down enough in price that it's supplanting microdrives...even with perpendicular recording, it looks like the microdrives are going the way of the dinosaur.

SkyBell
Nov 3, 2006, 09:07 PM
Precisely.

I got so disgusted with a 30GB 5G iPod that I promptly dispatched it physically - the CONSTANT waiting for the HDD to spool up was a real pain! OMG!

I now have a 2G Nano - total bliss. Best of all, it doesn't have problems with podcasting, as the HDD-based units do!

I have two Minis (brand new - in the box) that I'll be giving to my kids this season (I can't use them). Why? Sluggish scroll wheels! Once again, when I need to scroll and play music, the last thing I want to do is flib/fuddle with spooling HDDs or sluggish scroll wheels.

Get the 2G Nano. I'm most satisfied.

(Just my opinion)

I didn't say I was getting anything. I'm completly satisfied with my 1G 1 gig Shuffle. (Although between nano and mini, mini.)

MegaSignal
Nov 3, 2006, 09:11 PM
I didn't say I was getting anything. I'm completly satisfied with my 1G 1 gig Shuffle. (Although between nano and mini, mini.)
I reread your original post. Sorry.

theman5725
Nov 3, 2006, 10:12 PM
The Nano was really just an upgrade to the Mini. It's like saying for Apple to get rid of the 5G iPod and bring back the 4G one. Theres just no point.

MattyMac
Nov 3, 2006, 11:50 PM
The Nano was really just an upgrade to the Mini. It's like saying for Apple to get rid of the 5G iPod and bring back the 4G one. Theres just no point.

I love the nano...it is ridiculously sweeeeeeet!

And forget the idea of bringing back the 4G...it was my first iPod and apple product ever, but I just don't like it as much as the other iPods.

I think the 3G is the coolest:D

bousozoku
Nov 3, 2006, 11:57 PM
Microdrives are much more likely to fail when jostled than flash memory. Besides, the nano is much nicer looking to me and everyone needs a colour display, right?

The mini had a good size but it's just too likely to have a drive failure. For that same reason, I don't buy Microdrive CompactFlash cards for my camera.