Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
It doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'll try some other things, but weren't the newest batch of iPods ALL supposed to have gapless playback?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It doesn't seem to work. Maybe I'll try some other things, but weren't the newest batch of iPods ALL supposed to have gapless playback?

It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't - gapless kind of goes against the philosophy of the shuffle.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't - gapless kind of goes against the philosophy of the shuffle.

I don't agree with that. Shuffling songs is great, but it should be able to play them in order perfectly too. I rarely use my shuffle in shuffle mode.

That's a disappointment.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
I don't agree with that. Shuffling songs is great, but it should be able to play them in order perfectly too. I rarely use my shuffle in shuffle mode.

That's a disappointment.

Kinda off topic, but is the shuffle any good for podcasts? (How do you find a podcast among all the other MP3s?)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Kinda off topic, but is the shuffle any good for podcasts? (How do you find a podcast among all the other MP3s?)

The shuffle isn't good for finding anything, that's not the point.

But it's just fine for listening to podcasts. You just hear them when the playlist gets to them.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I did find out if your shuffle is set to shuffle it will bypass podcasts and audio books that are not mp3's.

I do notice when playing several podcasts together there is no gap, so it sounds like one long podcast.

My main issue is trying to play my podcasts in a certain order. Does anyone know how I can do this?:confused:

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway

That's a disappointment.

Agreed. This is a reason for me to not get a Shuffle the next time I get an iPod.

Hey wait! I shouldn't have said that out loud! I guess this is what Apple wants me to..

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL

Agreed. There is no purpose for the shuffle to have gapless playback. You're supposed to use it on shuffle for the majority of the time. Apple isn't going to support those few people who don't do it that way.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
..I do have a slight feeling that not exactly few people don't do it that way..

But nowhere near the amount of people who listen to it on shuffle. The vast majority of shuffle users...hell, iPod users...use their iPods on shuffle.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
But nowhere near the amount of people who listen to it on shuffle. The vast majority of shuffle users...hell, iPod users...use their iPods on shuffle.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, but I'd like to see the hard numbers on that, apart from Apples marketing hype.

I would also guess the people sucked into Steves RDS would be more likely to use more shuffle, rendering numbers and polls on MR useless.

I'm not saying you're not right, I'm just not buying it without any proof of it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Agreed. There is no purpose for the shuffle to have gapless playback. You're supposed to use it on shuffle for the majority of the time. Apple isn't going to support those few people who don't do it that way.

That's completely wrong. It's a device that plays audio two different ways. Saying one way is how you're "supposed to use it" is ridiculous.

There's no reason for Apple not to support the feature. And yes, they should support ALL shuffle users, those who shuffle and those who use it to play things in playlist order.

And for the record, you have no clue how many people shuffle and how many don't, so quit pretending you do.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
After reading an iLounge review, it seems that the limitation might be technical. The old shuffle had a longer pause between tracks.

The way that Steve explained it in the keynote ... it sounds like you have to remove the small pauses that digital encoding puts in automatically? I doubt the new Shuffle has enough power to remove those pauses on the fly.

I do mostly listsen to my Shuffle on shuffle mode, but if I got a new CD I'm in to, I would like to hear it gapless. That way I can just put it at the start of my playlist and listen to it unhindered.

It's not a big thing .. just a small annoyance. I mean for an $80 player, I don't expect much.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
That's completely wrong. It's a device that plays audio two different ways. Saying one way is how you're "supposed to use it" is ridiculous.

Seeing how its called a "Shuffle" I think Apple planed for most users to shuffle there music. As for gapless play back I could care less...I hardly even notice it on the Nano and 5G

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Seeing how its called a "Shuffle" I think Apple planed for most users to shuffle there music.

Then you're pretty much back to the discussion of how it all started.

1. Jobs: "How can we best make an mp3-player made for shuffling-only?"
    ..or..
  2. Marketing department: "So, they want us to sell this iPod without a screen?!? What should we call it to make it a hit?"

Shrimpdesign: yeah I'm guessing it is technical too. I'd just wish Apple would have spent the extra $2 on every player, raising the price $10, giving us gapless. Mostly it's just a small annoyance, no gapless in iTunes was FAR worse! iTunes is my favourite mp3-app now. :)

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj

Well, I guess then I'm.. different..
I own an iPod since 2 years and have never used the shuffle mode so far.
There are various CDs on my iPod that I want to listen to when I'm in the right mood for them. There's no point in shuffling Sophia or Radiohead with some happy sound tunes..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.