Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flygirlk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Hi all; What I used to love about my Powerbook G4 is that it's pretty much silent, unless I happen to be burning something, or running several programs at once. However, this appears to be a thing of the past, as I've begun to notice that the fan is now permanently whizzing, and while it's not loud, it's anything but silent. This happens constantly, while I'm running minimal programs, and while my computer is sitting on my desk, not on any soft surfaces. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
My current PowerBook G4 (old Titanium model) has a similar problem that occurs when the fans kick in. The best that I can recommend is to get them replaced at an authorised repair centre. While quotes can vary the one that I took mine to here in Belgium estimated EUR 150.00 for the job, mostly due to the labour cost since the logic board itself needs to be removed in order to remove/replace the fan.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Or maybe use some compressed air to blow out the dust. Of course, this'll only really work if you take it apart first. If that sounds too hard, then take it to a technician or a friend who might be able to do it for you. :)

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I've been experiencing exactly the same thing the last few months with my PB. When I've got a bit of time on my hands I'm going to have a go at what mad jew suggested. Back when I had a Dell box, it too started getting noisy so I opened it up and got the vacuum in there - did a world of good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.