PDA

View Full Version : Best Apple Print Ad Finals

Doctor Q
Nov 6, 2006, 12:56 AM
This is the final round of the 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest "Best Apple Print Ad" competition.

Vote for your favorite!

This poll will be open through the end of Wednesday November 8, closing at midnight EST.

The winner will receive two prizes... bragging rights

a special symbol that will appear below their user title next to all of their posts...plus the admiration of thousands and a featured spot in our contest gallery, to be posted after the contest ends.

peharri
Nov 6, 2006, 11:02 AM
Had to vote for "Tetris". The Zoon one is kind of second place, but I'm always wary of the "jab the competitor" things.

The Gold Macbook thing... just didn't do it for me. And the others were the awful "better than thou" stuff that I find a real turn-off.

skoker
Nov 6, 2006, 11:12 AM
Wow! I never imagined that I would make it this far! Thank You! very much to everybody who go me this far! :D

ozontheroad
Nov 6, 2006, 12:02 PM
Wow! I never imagined that I would make it this far! Thank You! very much to everybody who go me this far! :D

Neither did I ! :eek:

Congratulations guys. (finalists and everybody who submitted)

and thanks to all the people who took the time to vote

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... a little humor never hurt anyone... even if its "better than thou" or worse than thee"

I have a doctor friend that can remove the pole, quick procedure and very cheap !

be happy.... smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cr2sh
Nov 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Gold. Totally.

The Coming Zune is nice and looks good but it isn't as original and the Gold Macbook.

mkrishnan
Nov 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
Nice work to all of you! :) It was tough picking one!

Squonk
Nov 6, 2006, 02:00 PM
I liked the high quality of the Coming zune ad! It's bringing home the bacon to be fried up on the MBP-G!

xfiftyfour
Nov 6, 2006, 02:04 PM
I want that touchscreen iPod! :eek:

very nice job!

Warbrain
Nov 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
Honestly, no offense to anyone who made these, but they're not worthy of getting my vote. None of them. I know I couldn't make any better myself, but there definitely are people who can make better than these and I've seen better than these, so I'm not giving any of them a vote.

Compile 'em all
Nov 6, 2006, 02:43 PM
I liked the high quality of the Coming zune ad! It's bringing home the bacon to be fried up on the MBP-G!

Me too, coming zoon has that polish feeling to it :cool:. Besides, who wouldn't want a new iPod:D

combatcolin
Nov 6, 2006, 03:44 PM
The "No More Excuses" ad is massivly arrogant, almost ordering the viewer to buy one.

Very poor.

wmmk
Nov 6, 2006, 03:51 PM
I had to vote for the MacBook gold as it was the most original and professional. It also seemed the most like something apple would actually use/do.

Silentwave
Nov 6, 2006, 04:15 PM
The "No More Excuses" ad is massivly arrogant, almost ordering the viewer to buy one.

Very poor.

Curious as to why you think that...

I think it's pretty funny :) A bit of fun at the expense of those who wanted ever so badly to run solitaire for windows on their mac :)

I voted for the Coming Zoon ad, though it was a tie between that and the Macbook Gold. I had to do eenie-meenie-miney-mo to pick :)

decksnap
Nov 6, 2006, 04:39 PM
Honestly, no offense to anyone who made these, but they're not worthy of getting my vote. None of them. I know I couldn't make any better myself, but there definitely are people who can make better than these and I've seen better than these, so I'm not giving any of them a vote.

Seems a bit negative to write out a post about how none of them are good enough for you to vote for. It's just a contest. You vote for the best among them, not the best in the world.

EricNau
Nov 6, 2006, 05:41 PM
I voted for Tetris because I could actually see Apple using such an ad.

Although thumbs up for MacBook Gold & Coming zoon for their creativity and originality.

Overall, all of the entries are very good. Great Job Everyone! :)

Zwhaler
Nov 6, 2006, 05:56 PM
I love coming zoon and no more excuses, I vote no more excuses because someone I know loves solitare on his PC :)

skoker
Nov 6, 2006, 07:19 PM

Very poor.

[I'm going to pretend that the 'No More Excuses' ad wasn't my entry in making this comment:]

Aren't the majority of Apple's ads arrogant? Isn't that the whole point of an ad to begin with, to try to convince the customer to buy your product because you want them to think that yours is better than all the rest of the competition?

mrkramer
Nov 6, 2006, 09:14 PM
I had a hard time deciding between the "tetris" and "No more Excuses", but I decided to vote for "Tetris".

ATD
Nov 6, 2006, 09:48 PM
[I'm going to pretend that the 'No More Excuses' ad wasn't my entry in making this comment:]

Aren't the majority of Apple's ads arrogant? Isn't that the whole point of an ad to begin with, to try to convince the customer to buy your product because you want them to think that yours is better than all the rest of the competition?

I think the ad is a good one and very much in the vein of a Chiat/Day Apple ad. ;)

hulugu
Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 AM
You vote for the best among them, not the best in the world.

Ah, yes the motto for democracy.

No, when Chevy makes claims over Ford it's advertising. When Apple makes claims over Microsoft it's arrogance.

It's cultural baggage, pay no attention to it.

Warbrain
Nov 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
Seems a bit negative to write out a post about how none of them are good enough for you to vote for. It's just a contest. You vote for the best among them, not the best in the world.

Yea, it's a contest, but none of them should even be in the final vote.

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 10:10 AM
I voted for Tetris. If that one hadn't been there I don't think I would have voted. The other ones were well made but none of them "did it" for me. It took me a while to even figure out what "No More Excuses" was about, call me slow. The "MacBook Gold" one didn't seem like an Apple Ad at all... maybe an ad by a competitor due to the heat reference. "Coming zoon" maybe would've gotten my vote if it had said "Coming Soon"... yeah I know it was supposed to be a pun or whatever but it just didn't feel right to me. "Da Vinci" felt like a forum graphic comeback... was alright but not an ad.

The tetris one felt so good that I could've seen it accompanied by a video ad.

Good work to all and good luck with the voting. That's just my unprofessional critique of things I know little about! :)

combatcolin
Nov 7, 2006, 10:35 AM
Curious as to why you think that...

I think it's pretty funny :) A bit of fun at the expense of those who wanted ever so badly to run solitaire for windows on their mac :)

I voted for the Coming Zoon ad, though it was a tie between that and the Macbook Gold. I had to do eenie-meenie-miney-mo to pick :)

Not really giving a reason, just "loudly shouting" that Macs are better without any real substance, well, not going beyond "Im a Mac and i look quite cool".

And again, its ordering the viewer to do something with his own money, sort of a creepy Big Brother vibe going on.

skoker
Nov 7, 2006, 11:20 AM

To quote Doctor Q:

Print Ads are ones Apple might print or display on a billboard, poster, static web page, etc. You get to invent the graphic design, do any photo work, add text or a clever slogan, and so on.

Entries do not have to be professional-quality masterpieces. Amateurs are invited to try their hand. The contest is for fun, so good luck and enjoy yourselves!

Emphasis mine.

SRSound
Nov 7, 2006, 11:53 AM
Oh. I thought it was supposed to be for a future product. This was a waste of time...
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/srsound/iSsociateAd.jpg
/bitter ;)

combatcolin
Nov 7, 2006, 12:02 PM
Thats nice.

It'll be a bit pricey though.

macg4
Nov 7, 2006, 12:24 PM
i voted macbook gold!

NextTuesday
Nov 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
Oh. I thought it was supposed to be for a future product. This was a waste of time...

/bitter ;)

I love the Windows logo on that thing. ;)

I voted Gold for 3 reasons.

It gave me a chuckle
I have 2 red marks that are permanently on my legs because of my PowerBook, so I can relate.
When my Mom walked in the room she glanced at my screen and thought it was real.

iMeowbot
Nov 7, 2006, 12:43 PM
To quote Doctor Q:
The contest is for fun,
Emphasis mine.
<AOL /> Why is anyone taking this thing the least bit seriously? The prize is a virtual sticker!

miniConvert
Nov 7, 2006, 12:50 PM
Come on you Zoon! It may be a bit of an attack ad, but it cracked me up all the same and, after reading some of the print ads Apple themselves come out with, I can actually imagine seeing it for real.

Of course no Apple product is ever 'coming soon' (unless you count the odd shipping delay of a few weeks) but I try not to think about that :D

ATD
Nov 7, 2006, 01:46 PM
<AOL /> Why is anyone taking this thing the least bit seriously? The prize is a virtual sticker!

Thank you (and others) for saying something, I didn't feel like spending the energy defending something I did purely for the fun of it. I liked a lot of the other ads, I saw some great ideas and it seems everyone had fun making them. It seems that some are taking this more seriously than the people who created the work. :rolleyes:

x86isslow
Nov 7, 2006, 02:16 PM
Of course no Apple product is ever 'coming soon' (unless you count the odd shipping delay of a few weeks) but I try not to think about that :D

hm. iMac G5, i seem to recall. and a certain device code-named iTV

ATD
Nov 7, 2006, 02:43 PM

:D Definitely a make believe ad.

elppa
Nov 7, 2006, 04:16 PM
I like "No More Excuses".

Solitaire is only a euphemism for the world of windows software.

Plenty of people would be tempted to try a Mac if they knew they could still run their Windows software.

This makes the point simply and succinctly, and adds a bit of humour to the message too.

Willis
Nov 7, 2006, 04:52 PM
Mine was between davinci and macbook pro... I liked them both.

macs4ever
Nov 7, 2006, 05:24 PM
That 'No More Excuses' is comic genius!

Hertog
Nov 7, 2006, 06:52 PM
I voted for 'No More Excuses'. Not only because it was funny, since others made me laugh as well, but because it's the only add I can imagine actually appearing somewhere - it's the only true Apple add in the sence that Apple may actually use it.

skoker
Nov 7, 2006, 07:14 PM
I like "No More Excuses".

Solitaire is only a euphemism for the world of windows software.

Plenty of people would be tempted to try a Mac if they knew they could still run their Windows software.

This makes the point simply and succinctly, and adds a bit of humour to the message too.

That 'No More Excuses' is comic genius!

I voted for 'No More Excuses'. Not only because it was funny, since others made me laugh as well, but because it's the only add I can imagine actually appearing somewhere - it's the only true Apple add in the sence that Apple may actually use it.

Thank you all very much for the kind words! I'm glad that some people can express themselves nicely around here without having to resort to being overtly-critical. :)

hulugu
Nov 7, 2006, 10:41 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't see your entry.

iVersa
Nov 8, 2006, 06:30 AM
I agree that they are all pretty weak visually.

I voted for the "Coming Zoon" Mainly for the execution. Although the concept's nice too. I think it could have been better if you spelt "Zune" instead.

Close second for me was the "Davinci" simply for the great concept.

kristiano
Nov 8, 2006, 07:39 AM
The Da Vinci one gave me a laugh but I had to go with Zoon. Nicely done.

autrefois
Nov 8, 2006, 11:05 AM
They were all good, but as the proud owner of a Powerbook G4, I had to go with Macbook Gold. I will always have a warm place on my lap for portable computers made by Apple. :)

macg4
Nov 8, 2006, 11:39 AM
They were all good, but as the proud owner of a Powerbook G4, I had to go with Macbook Gold. I will always have a warm place on my lap for portable computers made by Apple. :)yeah me too !! thats what i voted for

ozontheroad
Nov 8, 2006, 12:57 PM
thanks for the votes and reviews guys.

I wish I could have made it look a little more professional but as you can clearly see I am not a graphic designer.

My entries were made in Word :eek:

Thanks again

I can't believe I made it this far !

macg4
Nov 8, 2006, 01:19 PM
I can't believe I made it this far !
well you did so believe it!

ozontheroad
Nov 8, 2006, 01:25 PM
well you did so believe it!

<checks macrumors one more time> yes its true I'm in the final.

OK so now i believe... now I hope it doesn't have the same repercussions as "the skeleton key"

<looks down> no chalk circle on the floor ... I'm safe

macg4
Nov 8, 2006, 03:16 PM
<checks macrumors one more time> yes its true I'm in the final.

OK so now i believe... now I hope it doesn't have the same repercussions as "the skeleton key"

<looks down> no chalk circle on the floor ... I'm safelol yes u are

Doctor Q
Nov 8, 2006, 11:04 PM
Congratulations to ATD as winner of the MacRumors 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest, with the winning entry "Coming zoon" in the "Best Apple Print Ad" competition!

And a big thank you to all who participated!

ATD
Nov 8, 2006, 11:51 PM
monke, skoker, clintob, ozontheroad and others in the semi finals, good job!

Thanks all for the votes, comments and constructive crits. I think that there were some good entries here, both from pros and non-pros. Kudos to those who took a crack at creating an ad and who have never done it before.

The ad I did was actually a offshoot of an animation I was playing with. Work got in the way of having fun so I opted for a quick ad instead. 3D animation is very time consuming so I'm not surprised I couldn't follow through, I enjoyed playing with it all the same. If you want a look at the animation to this point, here's a link. It's all of 3 sec long.

http://www.atdesignla.com/public/iPod.mov

The idea was to take a iPod and transform it into the new iPod. The point that the wheel hit the screen there would be a ripple across it and the wheel would sink in and transform into a touchscreen wheel. As the iPod was transforming I wanted to lightly use a movie leader countdown on the screen. I also wanted to possibly integrate some glow motions into to the transform without taking away from it. Still needs lots of work, maybe another time.

spicyapple
Nov 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
Congrats to ATD and all the finalists! :)

arn
Nov 8, 2006, 11:54 PM
monke, skoker, clintob, ozontheroad and others in the semi finals, good job!

http://www.atdesignla.com/public/iPod.mov

Congrats ATD! That video is very nice. Hopefully you'll have time to finish it.

I'm impressed by the work that everyone did for this (rather unpublicized) contest... in the future, we'll try to get the word out more... the results are great.

arn

macg4
Nov 9, 2006, 12:23 AM
yes congrats all!

ozontheroad
Nov 9, 2006, 03:23 AM
Congrats to everyone

ATD good job mate.

Thanks to everyone who participated and voted.