PDA

View Full Version : Best Apple Video Ad Finals

Doctor Q
Nov 6, 2006, 01:08 AM
This is the final round of the 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest "Best Apple Video Ad" competition.

Vote for your favorite!

This poll will be open through the end of Wednesday November 8, closing at midnight EST.

The winner will receive two prizes... bragging rights

a special symbol that will appear below their user title next to all of their posts...plus the admiration of thousands and a featured spot in our contest gallery, to be posted after the contest ends.

roland.g
Nov 6, 2006, 02:14 PM
definitely a harder choice than the print ads. Had to go with the best of in the end because of the outside the screen work as well as the windows etc. on screen stuff. But the on-screen work in break down, baby using expose was really well done, hats off. Just needed a better complete picture there too. Like I said all 4 were great ads.

ATD
Nov 6, 2006, 02:26 PM
Great job all, and a tough choice...

liketom
Nov 6, 2006, 02:35 PM
2 that i love 1 that got my vote

but all very well done :cool:

Compile 'em all
Nov 6, 2006, 02:39 PM
Anyone knows what song is played in Boring Business Presentations Ad? :cool:. I voted for it too, I thought it was fast and straight to the point.

dpaanlka
Nov 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
Anyone knows what song is played in Boring Business Presentations Ad? :cool:. I voted for it too, I thought it was fast and straight to the point.

I voted for it to! The song is "Galvanize" by The Chemical Brothers.

Compile 'em all
Nov 6, 2006, 02:53 PM

That was fast. Thanks :)

mahonmeister
Nov 6, 2006, 03:40 PM
I really enjoyed the fast pace of "Boring Business Presentations" and the song really topped it off.

wmmk
Nov 6, 2006, 04:02 PM
wow, loved 'em all. I'm really impressed with our video people. no offense to anyone, but these were all way more professional than the print ads. I'm gonna have to vote for decksnap's simply because it was so creative. Kingsly, spicyapple, and dpaalka, yours were also really amazing. Way to go everyone!

dmw007
Nov 6, 2006, 04:17 PM
Good job everyone, and good luck! :)

zane
Nov 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
loved the beck song

Zwhaler
Nov 6, 2006, 06:01 PM
I'm surprised boring busniess presentations is tied for last. I liked it the most.

zap2
Nov 6, 2006, 06:54 PM
Anyone know what the Song in "Best of" is?

Never Mind-Saw some one talked about Beck, searched on iTunes,and found it!

MrSmith
Nov 6, 2006, 07:33 PM
They all make we wish I could create something like that. Generations gets my vote. It's just...beautiful. Can anyone tell me what the music is?

Two questions and I hope I'm not going to sound too stupid:

How do you get a moving background behind a photo (the two girls sitting on the wall)?

How do you do the moving clouds?

Kingsly
Nov 6, 2006, 07:52 PM
In case anyone else wants the soundtrack to Best Of, I am providing it free of charge (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=52311104&s=143441&i=52311121). :cool: ;)

Thanks everyone who voted for me, and good luck to the other contestants! :)

azzurri000
Nov 6, 2006, 08:15 PM

I also voted for your video:) I loved the song, and the guitar smash bit at the end was great.... very well thought-out, and it made me laugh!

irmongoose
Nov 6, 2006, 08:25 PM
generations... wow, that's the most beautiful thing I've seen in a while.

irmongoose

dmw007
Nov 6, 2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks everyone who voted for me, and good luck to the other contestants! :)

Your welcome Kingsly. :) :cool:

P.S.- I expect my check in the mail.... ;) :D

mduser63
Nov 6, 2006, 10:46 PM
I thought these were really well done. Much better than the print ads (don't worry, I liked those too!). If I saw Generations actually come on TV, I don't think I'd question that it was an Apple ad, and I really liked it too. That got my vote, but they were all excellent.

Koodauw
Nov 6, 2006, 10:58 PM
I was torn between the last two, but went with generations just because it was a better Apple ad, (iPod + iTunes) than the ad for just Keynote. I really liked them both though.

monke
Nov 6, 2006, 11:03 PM
I thought these were really well done. Much better than the print ads (don't worry, I liked those too!). If I saw Generations actually come on TV, I don't think I'd question that it was an Apple ad, and I really liked it too. That got my vote, but they were all excellent.

I think part of it has to do with the 'humour' factor. Most of the video ads submitted were made Apple-like and could be somewhat mistaken for an actual Apple ad, just like the contest details stated. When voting started people voted for the most Apple like ad here, while for the print ad's they voted for the one the liked the most, for example ozontheroad's submission labelled Davinci (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=249358). I'll admit the ad is funny and has a good idea behind it, but I could never see it as an actual Apple ad. :)

Foxglove9
Nov 6, 2006, 11:19 PM
Wow, they're all great! Nice work everyone!!

iRachel
Nov 7, 2006, 12:06 AM
I really liked all of them - great job everyone! But since I could only vote for one, I chose generations.

bigandy
Nov 7, 2006, 06:14 AM
They all make we wish I could create something like that. Generations gets my vote. It's just...beautiful. Can anyone tell me what the music is?

Two questions and I hope I'm not going to sound too stupid:

How do you get a moving background behind a photo (the two girls sitting on the wall)?

How do you do the moving clouds?

Transparency (layers) in photoshop, and Motion (http://www.apple.com/motion), I assume...

Shotglass
Nov 7, 2006, 09:20 AM
Those were awesome. But I can't decide...

Josias
Nov 7, 2006, 10:15 AM
Bussines Presentation FTW! Best one, and the one Apple is most probable to show:D

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 10:44 AM
As others have voiced, much better than the print ads overall. In the end I went with Generations...

Best Of was nice (they all were!) but to a non-Mac user I don't think the programs shown would've meant a lot to people. iMovie could be misinterpreted as a video watching program, Garageband could be who knows what... I did like the expose effect at the end along with the spinning of the MacBook to switch from app to app... I'm not even sure what you could put on the screen though to make it more appealing... ah well.

Break Down Baby was good too but I think had the same issues that Best Of had but times 10... lots of Apps flashed too quickly. If you saw the same Ad with Windows and somebody banging on Alt-Tab I doubt you'd be converted either. I really liked the end bit but probably more if it had said "apple.com" instead of "getamac".

Boring Business Presentations... well... I don't use Powerpoint at all and rarely use KeyNote so yeah... it was nice but didn't appeal to the business side of me which I don't really have... :) It interested me about as much as powerpoint presentations do in real life... don't get me wrong... it was well done... just lacked appeal to myself personally.

Generations was just plain neat. Music is one of those things that everybody likes. You might not like a certain artist or genre but I think it's safe to say that world wide there are very few if any people that hate music as a whole. I've heard people say "I don't watch TV" or "I don't like movies" but nobody says that about music that I know of. Seeing music being heard in iPods across old photos in a very subliminal way was nice. Well done!

Again... my critique of a field I have no knowledge of... :)

dextertangocci
Nov 7, 2006, 11:22 AM
I don't now which one to choose:( :o :confused:

mkrishnan
Nov 7, 2006, 11:28 AM
I could totally see the ones Kingsly and Spicyapple did appearing on television. Nice work! :)

PowerFullMac
Nov 7, 2006, 12:12 PM
the best of one is the best ad... i could see apple using that. I couldnt see any of the other ones becuase i have to put up with windows to surf the net and it crashes all the time. Litrally whenever i try and view one of the videos only the first one worked.

elppa
Nov 7, 2006, 01:24 PM
2 that i love 1 that got my vote

but all very well done :cool:

Am I missing something?

I thought two was appalling. Wow, you can open five windows in quick succession and create a total mess on your screen. I didn't know what the message was - well obviously "get a mac" - but why?

Apple always try to show there computers as being simple - easy - uncomplicated. That was the complete opposite.

The first one had a good sound track, but sent me a bit dizzy. I'm not sure what all the spinning around was meant to demonstrate.

The last one was neatly done, but I think the soundtrack is a little overused. Plus maybe it was a bit too "funky" for business types. I'm not sure a whole advert campaign for Keynote would be worth it.

Three was the outstanding advert from the lot. It made the hairs stand up on my back. The old black and white photos really draw you in - and it would be dead easy to create a series of print adverts to complement it.

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 01:27 PM
Am I missing something?

I believe they meant there were two ads they liked with 1 they chose as their favorite. Not that they liked #2 but chose #1 as their favorite.

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 03:52 PM
Sorry to repeat myself but I'm still interested in knowing the music for generations. Nobody knows?

Willis
Nov 7, 2006, 05:01 PM
they were all very good. well done!

spicyapple
Nov 7, 2006, 05:02 PM
Sorry to repeat myself but I'm still interested in knowing the music for generations. Nobody knows?
Hi. It's The Winner Is... (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=159511200&s=143441&i=159511223) by Devotchka & Mychael Danna.

There's also a 720P high definition version of the generations ad, here (http://www.box.net/public/9oso2fpvvm). :)

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hi. It's The Winner Is... (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=159511200&s=143441&i=159511223) by Devotchka & Mychael Danna.

There's also a 720P high definition version of the generations ad, here (http://www.box.net/public/9oso2fpvvm). :)
Thanks very much. And, again, great piece of work! Even better in 720p :)

irmongoose
Nov 7, 2006, 06:20 PM

Oooh ooooh, I loves me some HD! Thanks :)

irmongoose

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 06:27 PM
Oooh ooooh, I loves me some HD! Thanks, mate :)

I think spicyapple is a gal :D

irmongoose
Nov 7, 2006, 06:29 PM
Aww shucks, you just can never tell, can you?

irmongoose

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 06:31 PM
Belligerent Atheist :confused: How did you get that?

Aww shucks, you just can never tell, can you?
True. I just have the habit of looking at profiles and I was in no doubt after seeing spicyapple's :D

irmongoose
Nov 7, 2006, 06:35 PM
Belligerent Atheist :confused: How did you get that?
It's always been that way, haven't you noticed? :)

True. I just have the habit of looking at profiles and I was in no doubt after seeing spicyapple's :D

Oh, umm, is that really spicyapple, though?

irmongoose

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 06:37 PM
It's always been that way, haven't you noticed? :)

irmongoose
:o

From your join date I guess you got that before the processor was invented :D

Oh, umm, is that really spicyapple, though?
Let's ask spicyapple.

spicyapple, is that you?

irmongoose
Nov 7, 2006, 06:38 PM
My, you're slow today, aren't you? :p

irmongoose

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 06:40 PM
My, you're slow today, aren't you? :p
Out of sync...like my life. :(

AJ Muni
Nov 7, 2006, 08:37 PM
They were all great, But Kingsly's IMO was awesome...I loved the baby cameo..:D

imacintel
Nov 7, 2006, 09:12 PM
I say..the Generations one gets my vote. Simple, and beautiful.

Kingsly
Nov 7, 2006, 10:06 PM
They were all great, But Kingsly's IMO was awesome...I loved the baby cameo..:D

Thanks. He's rather upset at the moment... all cranky and fussy...:o

MrSmith
Nov 7, 2006, 11:13 PM
..and Kingsly's making a dash for the post...

Lixivial
Nov 8, 2006, 12:36 AM
Of the two finals -- print and video ads -- this has no clear frontrunner. They're all just too gosh darned good, and I'm still trying to make up my mind.

generations is beautiful; Break Down, Baby is innovative and really shows off OS X; Boring Business Presentations is an ad I can see Apple really running (I can see Jobs "woo"ing this one at MacWorld; and Best Of is just darned cool, and it is an ad I can see Apple running as well.

Voting for my elected officials was easier than this! :(

MattyMac
Nov 8, 2006, 08:01 AM
Kingsly's rocks! It's all tied up too:D He was behind yesterday so he's moving on up!

roland.g
Nov 8, 2006, 10:01 AM
Neck and neck, going to come down to the wire. I hope there's a tie. K, not really I voted for Kingsly, but at this point it almost seems a shame that one of those two will lose.

spicyapple
Nov 8, 2006, 07:30 PM
I haven't seen a vote this tight since the US 2000 Presidential election and 2006 Democratic battle for the Senate. :)

If not for going out to celebrate my dad's birthday tonight, I'd be glued watching the results of this horse race. Whoever wins, congrats to all the fine entries!

Kingsly
Nov 8, 2006, 08:13 PM
I'd have to agree with spicyapple... The race is so close! :eek:

Good luck to everyone in both the video and print races! :)

Aperture
Nov 8, 2006, 09:42 PM
This is getting really close! Good luck to Kingsly & spicyapple.

Kevin

Doctor Q
Nov 8, 2006, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to Kingsly and spicyapple as co-winners of the MacRumors 3,000,000 Post Apple Advertisement Contest, with the winning entry "Best Of" by Kingsly and the winning entry "generations" by spicyapple in the "Best Apple Video Ad" competition!

And a big thank you to all who participated!

arn
Nov 8, 2006, 11:20 PM
congrats guys... great work. A tie at the end... a very nice outcome. :)

(I opened the thread again, so people can reply)

arn

spicyapple
Nov 8, 2006, 11:53 PM
Is there a duel to the death to decide the winner?

MrSmith
Nov 9, 2006, 12:09 AM
A few rounds of mud wrestling?

spicyapple
Nov 9, 2006, 12:35 AM
That's one possibility. :)

So how does Kingsly and I split the prize of a brand new MacBook Core 2 Duo?

ATD
Nov 9, 2006, 12:53 AM
So how does Kingsly and I split the prize of a brand new MacBook Core 2 Duo?

In half. :D

MrSmith
Nov 9, 2006, 12:55 AM
In half. :D

Kingsly wins bragging
spicyapple wins rights

Or is it vice versa? :D

Kingsly
Nov 9, 2006, 02:05 AM
Is there a duel to the death to decide the winner?

Easy.

*adds spicyapple to hit-list*

:p

Congrats spicyapple, I call the lower half of the MacBook. ;)

liketom
Nov 9, 2006, 02:06 AM
a draw to my 2 fav vids :)

well done

Garden Knowm
Nov 11, 2006, 09:43 PM
A few rounds of mud wrestling?

sounds approporiate

SPICY APPLE I would like to know more about the technique you used to manipulate the pictures.. It was MONEY!!! and LOVELY and LOVING... The moving backgrounds interest me greatly...

please tell...

cheers

spicyapple
Nov 11, 2006, 10:49 PM
GARDEN KNOWM,
this article (http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/diaz0503) explains the technique better than I could describe. You can use any compositing app to create this effect, such as After Effects, Shake, Combustion and Motion.

Garden Knowm
Nov 11, 2006, 10:51 PM
yummy goodie yummy goodie

Did you use AFTER EFFECTS? WHY NOT JUST import the layers into FCP and do the manipulation in FCP?

cheers