Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Some of you may be aware that I was having trauma with my G4 400. Unfortunately, I just found out that the processor is toast.

It's going to cost me $940 plus labour (Australian) so that's like $500 US. That's a bit of a pain, but an even bigger pain just after you've spent every last penny on a new G4 and 22" display. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Bad luck...

Hi Beej,

Sorry about your luck, but if you need $500 US, I'll give you that for the 22" cinema display.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Oh hey, yeah, all right! Gee that sounds like a top deal. What's your email, we can arrange postage. I'd prefer payment ASAP if possible.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Just send it

Just send the 22" here, and I'll get back to you with payment. :)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by newmanium
sweet, you broke a G4 ;) how did u do it?
Full story:

I currently use a PB 3400 as a server. It has a printer hooked up to it, and it runs Internet Gateway to dish out my cable connection to a few different machines.

The G4 was my old machine, but I got a replacement, so the old one became the new server. I set it all up, everything was working fine.

Then I left the room, and began surfing on another computer elsewhere. The Internet stopped working so I went to check the server. It had kernel paniced, so I restarted it.

And that was that.

Not real exciting, eh?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Beej

If you haven't already tried, see if you can boot into OS 9. You may have to do a hard PRAM reset (cuda button on the mobo) to get this to happen. I had something similar happen where my G4 500 just stopped working and didn't respond to anything (even resets from the front of the computer). I was able to get it to boot into 9 and the memory test came up as saying that there was problems with the computer's memory. I opened up the Apple System Profiler (under 9) and it showed the chip in the first slot as being incompatible. I removed it and the system booted normally. I contacted the vendor that I purchased the memory from and I already have a replacement (this all happened last Thursday).

If you only have one memory chip installed, see if you can snake one from another system to try in the old one. That might solve your problem, and it would be much cheaper then getting a new processor for the sytem.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Thanks AlphaTech, but I've already tried that with about 5 different sets of RAM. Trust me, I've tried every trick under the sun... it's dead.

I took it in and an Apple Tech put a known good processor in it and it worked fine.

I'm really wishing I'd overclocked it and had it smoke out the whole house or something. It's really disappointing that it didn't even go out with a bang (like most of my electronic things do ;))

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Originally posted by Beej
..I'm really wishing I'd overclocked it and had it smoke out the whole house or something. It's really disappointing that it didn't even go out with a bang (like most of my electronic things do ;))

Would that be like when my friend's Compaq speakers caught fire or when my mother's microwave oven blew up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.