Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
I asked about 3 people at both Compusa and Bestbuy if I can burn 24X CD's at 52X everyone at the stores said that I wouldn't be able to. I just got my new homebuilt PC (it's so sweet, UV Reactive everything, ATI 9700 and super fast 2.4 GHz.) It has a 52X sony CDR and I have a bunch of 24X CDs. Well I was able to burn the 24X TDK's at 52X fine and they work in other computers too. SO is this not normal? or did the people at compusa and bestbuy just know know what they were talking about.:D

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Burning 24X at 52X? Yes.

Originally posted by coopdog
I asked about 3 people at both Compusa and Bestbuy if I can burn 24X CD's at 52X everyone at the stores said that I wouldn't be able to. I just got my new homebuilt PC (it's so sweet, UV Reactive everything, ATI 9700 and super fast 2.4 GHz.) It has a 52X sony CDR and I have a bunch of 24X CDs. Well I was able to burn the 24X TDK's at 52X fine and they work in other computers too. SO is this not normal? or did the people at compusa and bestbuy just know know what they were talking about.:D

It usually works, but they'll have a higher failure rate than real 52x CDs (that said, I have yet to see one fail).

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
that has nothing to do with that.
Normaly the burn software slows the bruning down, if the speed is set to high, but the other point is that the cd producers dont make 7 different models, they will just do one model able to be burned @ 52 x for instance, and label all the other down, even if they got the same capacity.
my 0.02$

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Seperating the wheat from the chaf on CD-R's

Basically, a CD-R disc that is label 16x is only guaranteed to burn at up to that speed. This goes for whateve rthe disc is labeled.

At any given burn rating on CD-Rs, some will happily burn at that speed (or below) but will have problems faster. Some can burn faster with little problem (although the exact speed depends on the batch of discs). And some have problems burning even as fast as the advertised speed.

If you're willing to risk making more coasters, try burning at a faster speed. The problem you might run into here is that depending on the drive you tyr to read these discs in ther emight be issues. More so with older drivers and lower quality drives.

I have a small handfull of 16x CD-Rs left, I use those in the slower burner I have, when I need to use it.

My recomendation however is to buy discs rated at least the speed of the burner you have. The prices are the same really, so why risk it?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Yeah, the speed a disc is rated at is "the maximum burn speed the manufactor suggest and will support" but you can easly burn faster than they are rated. I have never been impressed by the knowledge of best buy employees. I'm sure some of them know there stuff, but most are clueless.

iElvis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Wellington, New Zealand
I've burned many:
16x cds @ 24x
20x cds @ 24x
24x cds @ 52x
and never had a problem. The only problem I had was when 24x burner died, so i got a 52x burner.

I was at Best Buy the other day to buy a firewire card for my PC and a firewire cable. I found the cheapest firewire card by the iPods (out of stock) and I asked an employe if they had any cheaper firewire cables (had a $45 cable) and he said no. I went looking myself and found a $25 cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.