PDA

View Full Version : Small monitors

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 03:48 AM
I'm looking for a pair of smallish monitors to sit on a desk or via a clamp-on stand once I've got everything set up. Powered would be best, if passive then I can stick a power amp somewhere.

Something around 12 x 12 x 8 (h x d x w) inches, single input (balanced) will be sufficient. If it looks good that'd be a bonus but I'm aiming more for the highest performance I can get in a small size. No set budget.

zimv20
Nov 7, 2006, 09:43 AM
i've ordered myself a pair of adam a7's. i'm waiting patiently for them to arrive.

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 11:10 AM
What made you go for them?

zimv20
Nov 7, 2006, 11:17 AM
adam's reputation. i wanted the next model up, but decided to try the a7's and also get a nice compressor.

if they don't work for me, i'll send 'em back and get something else. i tend to mix at fairly low volumes (70-80 dB), and my new room is going to be well treated, so i think they'll be fine. they're supposed to have great midrange, which i'm really struggling with on my current monitors, mackie 624's. same thing with imaging.

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks. I'll see if I can grab a listen at the shop I sometimes go to. They seem to have a dearth of Adam gear though.

I'm shifting my furniture around and a wall-mounted monitor isn't going to work anymore. The Genelec 8050A's are too dominating for use on/near-desk so I want to replace it with the aforementioned smaller articles, and given my use for them the choice of something smaller make sense.

I was thinking about the smaller Genelec, the 8030A for example but I haven't heard that many monitors so wanted opinions. I'm definitely looking for a more 'hi-fi' flavour to the sound than a pure studio monitor sound. I will of course consider regular hi-fi / high-end PC speakers too, but not many of the former are made with nearfield use in mind.

If you / anyone else has suggestions that'd be great.

zimv20
Nov 7, 2006, 11:44 AM
oh -- are you tracking and mixing through these, or just listening to program material? i'd just assumed the former.

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
Nothing of the kind I'm afraid. Just listening :D

zimv20
Nov 7, 2006, 11:51 AM
ahhhhhhhh. i'll be of little help, then. i like my monitors to make my music sound like crap, not good. that's the problem with my mackie's -- they didn't make me work hard enough.

CanadaRAM
Nov 7, 2006, 12:22 PM
What price range? Adams and Genelecs are at the extreme high end of the dollar range for desktop listening, at least for me. I have a pair of nEar 05's that are small and sound great for listening, and are 1/3 the cost of the Adams, or less. The Adam 7's just got an excellent review from Sound on Sound I am flirting with the idea of getting the M-Audio EX66's (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioEXSeriesEX66ReferenceMonitors-main.html) which also reviewed well.

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 12:31 PM
I'd say price is pretty flexible. If there is a realistic upper limit, I'd say the same as the 8050A's which were around £1,800 ($3,800) for the pair. I'm looking to get the best nearfield experience based on roughly the size requirements I set down.

zimv20
Nov 7, 2006, 01:43 PM
wow, that's quite a budget. are you familiar with the magnepans? i've not heard them, but have heard very good things about them.

not exactly desktop or nearfield, but...

Sesshi
Nov 7, 2006, 02:18 PM
It's going to have to be desktop and nearfield. Just down to the way the workspace will be arranged. As far as 'full-size' speakers are concerned I did consider moving a spare pair of Duevels (http://www.duevel.com/Produkte/Ebellaluna.htm) I have into cutouts in the desk at the corners of the room, but I'm not convinced it'll work that well both in terms of practicality and other factors. With a desk mounted speaker I can put it on top of a set of drawers, a plinth, etc which I can put stuff underneath.

jonutarr
Nov 8, 2006, 03:09 AM
....... I'm definitely looking for a more 'hi-fi' flavour to the sound than a pure studio monitor sound.......

then your not looking for monitors are you

why not get a 2.1 from logitech or a 5.1? they sound quite good
personally i would waste to much money on hifi stuff

Sesshi
Nov 8, 2006, 03:31 AM
then your not looking for monitors are you

why not get a 2.1 from logitech or a 5.1? they sound quite good
personally i would waste to much money on hifi stuff

Quite good is relative. Not for me unfortunately. They're OK and this is pretty much for casual use but I'm not looking for that casual.

I am looking for nearfields and this does put me in monitor territory. Not all monitors have a totally flat response (in fact few do) so I'm looking for something on the slightly entertaining side of board-flat.

jonutarr
Nov 10, 2006, 04:51 PM
Not all monitors have a totally flat response (in fact few do)
haha
very true

ok
maybe Blue Sky media desk 2.1
or any of the KRK range

cschreppel
Nov 11, 2006, 11:33 AM
Have to say anything in the KRK range as well. They provide a nice, casual listening environment, however, they don't disguise your mixes very much.

I originally had the first model of the M-Audio BX5's for awhile - did a wonderful job and translated very well. Also sounded great as desktop speakers or connected to a TV. However, I recently switched to some KRKs - granted they're the Rokit5's, but they still have some punch. In fact, I like their response better than the M-Audio's. Better low end, cleaner stereo imaging, not too crisp in the high end (which I found on my previous mixes on the M-Audio's that my high end was a bit dull thanks to their really clean high end - would have to add an EQ after the fact to brighten up my mixes). I don't have to do this with the KRKs.

Anyway, here's a few I'd recommend - regardless of price range:

KRK Rokit5, Rokit8, V6, V8
M-Audio BX5, BX8 (NOT BX5a or BX8a)
Dynaudio BM5A

That's all I can really think of at this point regarding speakers I've had personal experience with. Anything else would be strictly studio monitors or just physically too large for your needs.

Hope that helps.

dogbone
Nov 12, 2006, 02:23 AM
I think you should seriously consider a pair of KRK V4's. they measure about 9x8x6. Tiny with a big sound. I got them for monitoring and I was expecting accuracy as opposed to listenability. But I was surprised to find out that they are indeed fantastic sounding nearfield montitors for just plain music listening.

I bought a pair of series one secondhand and the newer series two are supposed to have better circuitry. For $500 US a pair they are fantastic value.

Here's some reviews (http://www.krksys.com/v3/vseries_v4.asp) for the old series one V4's, (top right of page).

kenk
Nov 13, 2006, 09:30 PM
I'm looking for a pair of smallish monitors to sit on a desk or via a clamp-on stand once I've got everything set up. Powered would be best, if passive then I can stick a power amp somewhere.

Something around 12 x 12 x 8 (h x d x w) inches, single input (balanced) will be sufficient. If it looks good that'd be a bonus but I'm aiming more for the highest performance I can get in a small size. No set budget.

I spent a few hours listening to small active near-field monitors over at the local Guitar Center Pro. Small is crucial for me. They have about a dozen different high-ish end monitors set up at a couple of different workstations. Not ideal listening, of course, but not terrible, and certainly easier than toting a dozen monitors home.

The top speakers (small size) in my opinion were the Dynaudio BM5A and the Genelec 8030a or 8040a. Both were better than anything from KRK (5 or 8), M-Audio, Event, and I forget who-all else. The Dynaudio BM5As were just exquisitely sweet sounding. Your whole body just relaxes. The Genelecs were also superb, flat, and accurate, if slightly less sweet. (Unfortunately, the Dyanaudios and the Genelecs were set up at different workstations, one of which was not fully operational, so I couldn't A/B them with the same music.) Among the Genelecs, I thought the 8030A sounded sweeter than the 8040, which surprised me; I did not test the 8050 that was there. The 8020A was disappointing compared to the 8030A, but at low SPLs was very impressive for such a tiny box - the 8020A is probably best for portable TV news studios crammed in the back of a van.

I'd say the Dynaudio BM5As were most suitable for listening hi-fi-ishly. Go take a listen. Note however that the BM5As have a notoriously long break-in period of several days, so don't be disappointed at home until they have opened up.

Now could someone please do a serious comparative review of the Dynaudio BM5A (6.9" driver) versus the new but confusingly named Dynaudio BM5A Compact (5.7" driver) versus the Genelec 8030A (5" driver but sounds bigger)?

dogbone
Nov 13, 2006, 10:04 PM
...Genelec 8030a or 8040a. Both were better than anything from KRK (5 or 8...

If you are prepared to drop between 1200 and two grand on a pair of genelecs, why do you compare them with a bottom range pair of krk rp5's at $300 a pair? If you are seriously looking at speakers and you think krk might be a viable option instead of the gens, why didn't you look at the KRK V series particularly the V6's?

Sesshi
Nov 14, 2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

The V's look like a very good deal from what I've been able to glean. Unfortunately the shop I normally go to hasn't got any in for demo, not with the Adams either. Figures, doesn't it? I'm going to try and find a place which stocks / demos the V's. They do have the BM5A's though so I will be popping along to see them later in the week. I know they also have the 8030A so I can compare. Only problem is they have a really crappy eval environment.

The 8030A was kind of my default choice (but as I said, I'm not glued to Genelecs) and I already know what that sounds like - the 20A just gives too small of a sound for me.

theblotted
Nov 15, 2006, 01:04 AM
i second the KRK V4's for small monitors. punchy mid's and enough low's for a small size.

Genelec's are great. i used to hate'em back when they are 1031-series. too bright and tinny. the new versions, esp 8040's are incredible. if you got the dough to spend, i'd jump on Genelec's.

connorhays
Nov 22, 2006, 11:49 PM
I would also go with the Blue Sky media desk 2.1

Killyp
Nov 23, 2006, 02:52 PM
I wouldn't go with anything other than Genelecs at that price. Every pair I've heard sound incredibly neutral and BIG.

Genelec 8040As are what I tend to see in other studios (I've been in about 5 studios that use them).

cschreppel
Nov 23, 2006, 08:44 PM
Actually got rid of my KRK Rokit 5's...after a long testing period, decided that I didn't like them. Took the "plunge" and got some Dynaudio BM5As.

zimv20
Nov 28, 2006, 06:30 PM
i've ordered myself a pair of adam a7's. i'm waiting patiently for them to arrive.
this afternoon, i finally got them. so far, so good, but i'm still learning them, obviously. as advertised, the high end is detailed. big improvement over my 624's.

hearing stuff i've not heard before... nice.

Mydriasis
Nov 29, 2006, 12:39 PM
this afternoon, i finally got them. so far, so good, but i'm still learning them, obviously. as advertised, the high end is detailed. big improvement over my 624's.

hearing stuff i've not heard before... nice.

Awesome!!! I am so jealous :) .

But I know exactly what you mean about the high end, a friend of mine has them and whenever I listen to something I made on them it sounds way too bright.

zimv20
Nov 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
whenever I listen to something I made on them it sounds way too bright.
do you mean:
1. you mixed a song on a different system and when played back on the adams it sounds too bright, or
2. you mixed a song on the adams and it sounds too bright on other systems?

Mydriasis
Nov 30, 2006, 05:30 PM
Number 1.

I 'only' have the Genelec 8020A and an old pair of Fostex PM05. I think my stuff sounds too bright on his A7's (he has them paired with the 10MKII). But the stuff he makes sounds awesome on my speakers and another friends Dynaudio BM6A's.

I dunno its all subjective anyways. :)

burmeseharp
May 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
In my opinion, choosing the right monitor goes hand in hand with the studio set up that you have. While the quality of the monitors do matter greatly, it could be an overkill or a waste of your money if your studio isn't capable of taking advantage of the monitors' sound. Obviously, your mixes will benefit from working in a sound-proof studio vs. in a small studio apartment with thin walls, thin glass windows and no sound insulation materials. That said, I work in a relatively large and well sound-insulated room using a pair of KRK RP-5s and KRK-RP10(s) subwoofer. If I had a bigger budget I could get better monitors but for the $600 total spent on the pair of monitors with a subwoofer, I am pretty sure that I have a good set up for the money spent. KRK RP-5 are pretty decent on their own but adding the subs to them made a whole lot better.

grave77
Jul 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
Have to say anything in the KRK range as well. ......

Anyway, here's a few I'd recommend - regardless of price range:

KRK Rokit5, Rokit8, V6, V8
M-Audio BX5, BX8 (NOT BX5a or BX8a)
Dynaudio BM5A

That's all I can really think of at this point regarding speakers I've had personal experience with. Anything else would be strictly studio monitors or just physically too large for your needs.

Hope that helps.

this is my first thread here, I was thinking of the m-audio EX66 while I already have the BX8 and willing to sell them soon.

I have noticed that you mentioned the BX8 and not the BX8a I also didn't like the BX8a but I was interested in knowing why from others.

Thanks

zimv20
Jul 30, 2007, 10:24 PM
did i never post back that i had to get rid of my a7's? hmmm, i thought i had.

anyway, while i loved 'em to death, i had all sorts of problems with them: sudden jumps in noise levels, sudden drops in signal, crackling sounds. i went through (iirc) 5 total units before giving up.

i settled on a pair of Focal Solo 6's, which are twice as much and really quite, quite nice. i'd still like to get a pair of adams in here, someday, because the high end agreed with me so well.

Killyp
Jul 31, 2007, 04:15 PM
Maybe you just had 5 from one faulty batch?

zimv20
Jul 31, 2007, 05:47 PM
Maybe you just had 5 from one faulty batch?
the serial numbers were all over the place. i put up a thread on gearslutz, and while the majority of the a7 owners had no problems whatsoever, a few of us did have issues.

still, it's a great sounding monitor and my mixes translated almost immediately.

Killyp
Jul 31, 2007, 06:00 PM
Oh yes they definitely sound very good. A friend of a friend has a pair, and they sounded very natural and transparent, but never harsh. Wasn't so sure about the low-end, but I suspect that was just the room.

zimv20
Jul 31, 2007, 07:55 PM
Wasn't so sure about the low-end
i really liked the sound of the low end, it was just not very loud. after having gone through a few a7's, i tried a pair of the p11's. imho, the low end wasn't nearly as good for me as that of the a7's, i was really guessing when it came to mixing kick and bass.

no such issues with the solo 6's, though as i mentioned i do miss the adam tweeters.

JobsRules
Aug 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
If you're buying proper monitors, even budget ones, also think about your room acoustics and whether you need bass traps, acoustic foam, etc. No point having monitors if they can't do their job.

Sonic
Aug 14, 2007, 02:18 AM
I'd also put a word in for the KRK V6's. They have most of the detail of Mackie 824's while being quite a lot smaller, but a perhaps a little more flattening and fun to listen to. I really enjoyed mixing and listening to music on them. I think they're seriously under-rated, and I prefer them to Genelecs and Dyanudio's.

zygo
Aug 14, 2007, 07:08 AM
I have a pair of Genelec 8040A's.... VERY sweet, although not as much low end as KRK's-my mate has a pair of V8's.

In my opinion my Genelecs give a more true sound than the KRK's, plus they have the benefit of room control swithes-for treble, bass roll offs, desk reflection etc. The KRKs do not.

I have just invested in a KRK rokit10 sub (couldn't afford anywhere near Genelec sub prices) and that has a very nice low end down to about 30hz.

In uni we use Dynaudio, both large installs (don't know which model) and near fields for 5.1. Personally imo the installs aren't great-for the size and I'm guessing very high price they don't do quite as an amazing job as you might expect. I always o/p to the 5.1 setup.... they are sweet.

If you want industry standards I'd go for the Genelec's or Dynaudio (you will find one or the other in the majority of studios) If you want a louder, slightly more hi-fi sound with a bit less accuracy I'd go for KRK's.

And as a few people have said, the room is just as important as the monitors. Spend a LITTLE less on monitors and use the rest to treat your room. Oh and don't forget to cost in top end cables.

zimv20
Aug 14, 2007, 07:12 AM
They have most of the detail of Mackie 824's
the 824's are detailed?!? clear as mud, i'd say.

zygo
Aug 14, 2007, 07:41 AM
I second that.... Very dirty mud!!! wouldn't ever buy mackie speakers... especially monitors.

cschreppel
Aug 14, 2007, 02:39 PM
I have noticed that you mentioned the BX8 and not the BX8a I also didn't like the BX8a but I was interested in knowing why from others.

Thanks

The options on the back. Filters, Roll-off, etc. The BX8a (and 5a's) don't have the options...just volume. So if you're placing them near a wall, you can't roll off the low end or make them brighter to compensate for something in your room like you can with the original BX5 and 8's.

cschreppel
Aug 14, 2007, 02:40 PM
By the way -- I sold my KRK Rokit 5's after about a week of using them. Sounded horrible after getting used to them. Would MUCH rather have kept my original BX5's.

However, I currently use a pair of Dynaudio BM5A's...mmm...tasty.

gryphon69
Aug 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
For casually listening why not these

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/multimedia/index.php