PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done 3D modeling in "Second Life"?

lmalave
Nov 7, 2006, 10:54 AM
Ok, I know Second Life, is a "game" (sort of), but as far as I can tell it's heavily populated by designers, so I thought I'd post here.

I really can't figure out how to use the 3D modeling tools. How the heck can I create objects that look halfway decent? Is there any guide I can find to using the 3D modeling tools? I mean, there are so many amazing and complex objects created in Second Life, but I have no idea how they would be created with the seemingly extremely limited and simplistic 3D modeling tool. How are people creating such complex objects?

miniConvert
Nov 7, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'm just guessing here, but could they be relying heavily on textures?

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 11:03 AM
There is a place in SL that has a bunch of tutorials. Search for "Tower" in SL under places. I think it's the Tower of Prims or Prim Tower or something like that. That's where I learned. There are also some classes that are taught in SL by wonderful people. Just look on the events list in SL for classes and tutorials. Those should get you started.

lmalave
Nov 7, 2006, 11:04 AM
I'm just guessing here, but could they be relying heavily on textures?

Yes, definitely. And I definitely also need to learn how to create my own textures.

But still, applying a texture won't actually change the shape of the object, right? I can't even get the shape right. Basically, the 3D modeling tools consists of primitives (sphere, cylinder, cube, cone, etc) that you can stretch, rotate, apply textures to, etc. But the problem is, what if I want a shape like a cone with the point sliced off? I don't see a way to really customize the shape =(

There is a place in SL that has a bunch of tutorials. Search for "Tower" in SL under places. I think it's the Tower of Prims or Prim Tower or something like that. That's where I learned. There are also some classes that are taught in SL by wonderful people. Just look on the events list in SL for classes and tutorials. Those should get you started.

Thanks!!! I should definitely take one of those classes, then.

JasonElise1983
Nov 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
haha..never played SL before, but the 3D tools sound like Bryce. Took me forever to figure out the (can't really remember the name in bryce) "pathfinder" (like in illustrator) tools. Where you can combine, subtract, etc...

Good Luck.

-JE

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks!!! I should definitely take one of those classes, then.

Most of them are free and the people there are quite helpful. I would head to the Prim Tower first so you at least know how to operate the modeling GUI efficiently. Then head to some of the classes and learn the modeling magic. I've only taken two classes and having gone through the Prim Tower was a huge help. I didn't have to ask how to make primitive objects and such... I felt so advanced in beginner classes. :)

The classes are good to get a feel with what you can do with a given shape. You'd be surprised what you can turn a torus into. A lot of it is how to use a minimal amount of prims for the biggest impact. All pieces of land are restricted to X number of prims. So people get very creative in their prim use.

speakerwizard
Nov 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Hi, i hadnt heard of second life untill now, seems like some kind of online sims, anyway, 3D modelling isnt as easy as some people 1st think, especially more advanced. im a 3D modeller and thought id pick it up a lot quicker with my previous real world modelling and graphics skills, still took a couple of years. anyway, after all this rambling i dont actually know of the tools this programme / site uses but there is a heap load of material out there that is relevant to all 3D modelling apps such as :
http://forums.cgsociety.org/
http://www.highend3d.com/
http://www.cgchannel.com/

maybe a search of their forums could help?
anyway, good luck with ya modelling and living your second life

ATD
Nov 7, 2006, 11:46 AM
Ok, I know Second Life, is a "game" (sort of), but as far as I can tell it's heavily populated by designers, so I thought I'd post here.

I really can't figure out how to use the 3D modeling tools. How the heck can I create objects that look halfway decent? Is there any guide I can find to using the 3D modeling tools? I mean, there are so many amazing and complex objects created in Second Life, but I have no idea how they would be created with the seemingly extremely limited and simplistic 3D modeling tool. How are people creating such complex objects?

Can you post some shots of what you are talking about? Maybe we can break it down for you.

Does the modeler have component editing?

lmalave
Nov 7, 2006, 12:18 PM
Can you post some shots of what you are talking about? Maybe we can break it down for you.

Does the modeler have component editing?

Sure - will post screenshots when I get home.

Thanks!!!

lmalave
Nov 7, 2006, 12:21 PM
haha..never played SL before, but the 3D tools sound like Bryce. Took me forever to figure out the (can't really remember the name in bryce) "pathfinder" (like in illustrator) tools. Where you can combine, subtract, etc...

Good Luck.

-JE

Doh!!! Maybe I should buddy up with a more experience 3D modeler in the game. S/he does the 3D Modeling, I do the scripting...

lmalave
Nov 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
Most of them are free and the people there are quite helpful. I would head to the Prim Tower first so you at least know how to operate the modeling GUI efficiently. Then head to some of the classes and learn the modeling magic. I've only taken two classes and having gone through the Prim Tower was a huge help. I didn't have to ask how to make primitive objects and such... I felt so advanced in beginner classes. :)

The classes are good to get a feel with what you can do with a given shape. You'd be surprised what you can turn a torus into. A lot of it is how to use a minimal amount of prims for the biggest impact. All pieces of land are restricted to X number of prims. So people get very creative in their prim use.

Thanks again!! Prim Tower. I am *so* there!

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 12:27 PM
SL modeling is "drastically" different than modeling with Maya or 3D studio or whatever. The basic start is the same, throw out a block and manipulate it but the toolset is by far reduced. You can't add/subtract from primitives for starters. If you want to make a cone without a point in a 3d modeler I would image you would make a cone, then use a block to subtract the point part off... not so in SL... in SL you would make a tube and make one end narrower than the other... it's kind of a new way of thinking... of course there are a billion ways to make this shape in a normal modeler (none of which I know how to use) but there's pretty much only one way in SL... at least to make it efficiently. In a normal 3D modeler efficiency doesn't matter as much except for ease of use and computational time... in SL you are limited to a preset number of shapes so you have to be creative.

ATD
Nov 7, 2006, 01:00 PM
SL modeling is "drastically" different than modeling with Maya or 3D studio or whatever. The basic start is the same, throw out a block and manipulate it but the toolset is by far reduced. You can't add/subtract from primitives for starters. If you want to make a cone without a point in a 3d modeler I would image you would make a cone, then use a block to subtract the point part off... not so in SL... in SL you would make a tube and make one end narrower than the other... it's kind of a new way of thinking... of course there are a billion ways to make this shape in a normal modeler (none of which I know how to use) but there's pretty much only one way in SL... at least to make it efficiently. In a normal 3D modeler efficiency doesn't matter as much except for ease of use and computational time... in SL you are limited to a preset number of shapes so you have to be creative.

I had a look at the site and you right, it's a bit limited but it seems easy enough if you learn how to break down complex shapes into simple building blocks. It's a matter of being creative. It's the same mind set one would use for a more complex program, just easier. I did find a link on their site that quickly goes through making a guitar. Maybe if you down load it and slow it down you can see the way complex shapes are made.

http://secondlife.com/showcase/

Hope that helps.

RedTomato
Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 PM
http://secondlife.com/showcase/

Wow, that was an amazing video. I've thought about trying out my hand at 3D animation, and dipping my toe into Second Life, but that video really pwns me.

Any guesses by what factor it was sped up? 10x? 100x? I know it'd take me forever and a half to do one that well.

Also, all the internal construction work that was hidden by the top and bottop guitar fascia, was that really neccessary?

SilentPanda
Nov 7, 2006, 05:00 PM
Wow, that was an amazing video. I've thought about trying out my hand at 3D animation, and dipping my toe into Second Life, but that video really pwns me.

Any guesses by what factor it was sped up? 10x? 100x? I know it'd take me forever and a half to do one that well.

Also, all the internal construction work that was hidden by the top and bottop guitar fascia, was that really neccessary?

I couldn't guess for sure what factor it was sped up but I would guess that a lot of work on measurements and pre-planning was done. To make something that detailed without deleting or reshaping along the way seems near impossible. If I had to guess it probably took 2-4 hours to make in game with much pre-planning done before hand.

The internal construction wasn't meant to be seen. I think they were more guidelines to attach to each other when building the outer shape. It would've taken longer to remove the innard than to leave them there. There were two pieces added (you can see them at about 1:02 in the video) which would slightly protrude through the top face once it was put on to give it a slight texture.

Here is the SLURL for the Ivory Tower Library of Primitives Building Tutorial btw.

secondlife://Natoma/209.693/164.068/0

In case that link doesn't work for you.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Natoma/209.693/164.068

funwithstuff
Nov 9, 2006, 06:11 PM

The Ivory Tower, I think. Classes are good, plus you can ask Mentors (like me!) or Live Help people if you're still stuck. The most important things for building in SL are: shift-drag makes duplicates, and use the number fields for exact positioning.

Oh, and check out Primtionary (look in events). I like the one hosted by Yummie Olsen. It's like Pictionary, except you have to build your word, live, on stage. Great building practice. There's a Mac Users group you can join for Mac help too.